Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Robot vacuum?

My duaghter has the shark that does a real good job the her dog hair. She has 2 large hairy dogs 1 is a Newfoundland and the other is a Great Pyreness. I see a lot of reconditioned roombas on a site I go to.
    Last edited by Jerome Stanek; 11-10-2023 at 9:08 AM.

We also have a Shark and it self empties and does a decent job, but you do need to pick things up out of the way IF you want the job done right. We have two dogs and they just ignore and get out of the way.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

I have three iRobots. Having ones that self empty is of tremendous benefit. My third one is in the kitchen, so I think I'll name it Disher on top of Monk and Natalie.

Great names, Jim.

They seem to be having more difficulties lately. We have two long haired dogs, and the one upstairs is routinely stopping and saying that its bin is full, which is actually the bin on the robot, not the dock. So it is being overwhelmed. They also, at least the upstairs one, seems to miss getting correctly on the dock and doesn't charge. And they seem to enjoy eating rugs lately, which they never did before.

These are all relatively new developments over the past few months, so not sure they are aging well.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    The S9+ is the top of the line iRobot as far as I can tell. The S, J, & I nomenclature is a bit confusing. We have one 45lb mutt rescue that has short hair, so I don’t see that as a problem. She has never pooped in the house but has gotten sick a few times. The S9+ is “D” shaped and claims to clean in the corners better. One thing that I find odd is the S9+ does not have poop or cable/extension wire detection, where the next model down does. Weird.

We are sooo tired of lugging the Dyson vac around!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Make sure your robot has a nice personality. A Korean man was killed by a robot the other day. Thought he was a box of vegetables and jammed him onto a conveyor.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Howatt View Post
    Make sure your robot has a nice personality. A Korean man was killed by a robot the other day. Thought he was a box of vegetables and jammed him onto a conveyor.
    Yikes! I will keep that in mind!

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Update: We ended up picking up a Roomba j8+ from Costco yesterday. It is pretty amazing technology. It took 1˝ to “map” the house and 2˝ hours to vacuum the whole house minus one room. It is not nearly a loud as I feared. Our dog was very interested in it at first but after 30 minuets, meh..
    My back is liking this thing already.

Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    Update: We ended up picking up a Roomba j8+ from Costco yesterday. It is pretty amazing technology. It took 1˝ to “map” the house and 2˝ hours to vacuum the whole house minus one room. It is not nearly a loud as I feared. Our dog was very interested in it at first but after 30 minuets, meh..
    My back is liking this thing already.
    Your Roomba may get homesick for Costco and decide to leave....

Roomba escapes
    "What you see and what you hear depends a great deal on where you are standing.
    It also depends on what sort of person you are.”

You'll enjoy it, Bruce...they help keep up with things so deep cleaning manually can be at much longer intervals.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You'll enjoy it, Bruce...they help keep up with things so deep cleaning manually can be at much longer intervals.
    Yes, vacuuming behind open doors is an obvious shortcoming, so that will still be done manually. On the plus side, the last time the carpet under the master bed was vacuumed was when we bought the last mattress, lol. Neither our Dyson or Shark vacs would fit under there..

Andy Rooney

Under the beds was one of the primary reasons that "Natalie" was purchased for upstairs to compliment "Monk" downstairs.
    --

Just be careful about them around rugs. I've had to exclude the area around a large rug as it liked to eat it, and the smaller rugs we have around the house are often treats for my iRobots. I love having them, with long-haired dogs, but they really seem to like hard floors better. And they are fantastic under beds. I'm always stunned how much they pick up.

I really wish I had thought of those names, Jim. Cracks me up every time I read that.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Professor Dr. SWMBO named them, Alan...I can't take credit for that as I've never watched the show. I do hear that there's a movie coming with the original cast, however. BTW, only lightweight throw rugs get "ate" and we take them up when running the robots...like we are "as we speak".
    --

Alan, the j8 doesn't have any problems getting from the tile to the two low pile rugs we have, or the throw rug by the kitchen sink. I've been picking up the heavier throw rugs that we have.
    So far, I really like it. I was really worried that it would be a screamer but it is fairly quiet @ 62 dBa according to my phone.

Andy Rooney