Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Slow Roasted Turkey

Slow Roasted Turkey

Last week, we had our November Senior Luncheon. I cook a turkey, especially because we have several widows who don't have family close by. This is their Thanksgiving meal. Usually get up at 3:00 AM, and start turkey, so it will be ready in time. I also make a steam tray of dressing which needs to be in same oven. I looked up "Slow Roasting a Turkey," and the first thing that popped up was exactly what I wanted to know. You take the turkey and prepare as usual (no stuffing inside the bird,) and then place in roaster, with a couple cups of water. Cover roaster tightly with foil, place in 200 - 225 degree oven before retiring for the night. Get up next morning, and turkey is "fall off the bone" done. Easiest turkey I ever cooked

Personally I would not go to bed with the oven on nor would I leave home with something in the oven.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

How many pounds and for how long?

We have a procedure for the opposite: fast roasting. A 12# turkey in 2.5 hours, so no need to get up early. And no, its not dry or burnt.
    < insert spurious quote here >

I've never been a fan of the slow roasted turkey...usually ends up dry. I found a recipe 20 years ago that I use and the turkey turns out juicy and perfect every time. I set the oven to 400 degrees and cook the turkey for 15 min per pound for the first 10 pounds and 7 min per pounds for the rest. So a 20 pound turkey would cook for 150 min for the first 10 pounds and 70 min for the next 10 pounds... total cook time 220 minutes ( just over 3.5 hours). I put it in a turkey pan uncovered for the first half hour then loosely cover with tinfoil up until about the last hour when I take it off. The 400 degrees may scare some people but it turns out perfect every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    I've never been a fan of the slow roasted turkey...usually ends up dry. I found a recipe 20 years ago that I use and the turkey turns out juicy and perfect every time. I set the oven to 400 degrees and cook the turkey for 15 min per pound for the first 10 pounds and 7 min per pounds for the rest. So a 20 pound turkey would cook for 150 min for the first 10 pounds and 70 min for the next 10 pounds... total cook time 220 minutes ( just over 3.5 hours). I put it in a turkey pan uncovered for the first half hour then loosely cover with tinfoil up until about the last hour when I take it off. The 400 degrees may scare some people but it turns out perfect every time.

This is a similar method to the one that that I use, it's the same principal a searing a steak.

Have you ever used your method for smaller turkeys. Don’t cook 20lber any more that the kids moved out.. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Last week, we had our November Senior Luncheon. I cook a turkey, especially because we have several widows who don't have family close by. This is their Thanksgiving meal.
    Bruce, I realize your point was to tell us a good recipe that you like. But these sentences caught my eye. Good on ya, Sir. Good on ya.

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Last week, we had our November Senior Luncheon. I cook a turkey, especially because we have several widows who don't have family close by. This is their Thanksgiving meal.
    I'll echo Frederick's comments. Well played Sir.

Clapping.jpg
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 11-24-2021 at 11:12 AM.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    Have you ever used your method for smaller turkeys. Don’t cook 20lber any more that the kids moved out.. Thanks
    Yes works with any size turkey... just use 15 min a pound for the first 10 lbs and 7 min per pound after... ie: a12 pound bird would be 10lbs=150 min plus 2lbs =14 min.. for a total of 164 min ( 2.7 hours)

Yes works with any size turkey... just use 15 min a pound for the first 10 lbs and 7 min per pound after... ie: a12 pound bird would be 10lbs=150 min plus 2lbs =14 min.. for a total of 164 min ( 2.7 hours)
    Thanks Barry!

Blog Entries
    Rather than guess at how many minutes/kg, or pound, I use a meat thermometer. You always know just exactly how done it is. For the juiciest meat, the breast in particular, you want to walk the line between overdone & salmonella, and it's a fine one. Dark meat can take more cooking.

I stuffed the bird for years, but now I spatchcock it, rub a mix of herbs & butter under the skin & then roast it for about 2 hours for a large turkey. By the time the breast is at 165, the legs are about 175 = 180. Perfect every time. The stuffing gets done in the slow cooker with the giblets, neck & tail.

I cook my birds upside down, breast down and the back where all the fat is on top.
    Works well for me.
    Have a happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Slow roast. Just saying……

Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Forgot this important step!!

chill-turkey.jpg