Thread: How do you store your extra plane blades?

How do you store your extra plane blades?

I see Lee Valley sells some plastic cases for both bevel-up and bevel-down blades. Any other suggestions?

I first need some extras but I would think a container the locks out moisture with a good oil coating on the bales should work. Maybe a slot for some moisture absorbing packs could be an extra thought.

I just stuck mine into a thick piece of rigid foam insulation, cleaned and waxed. They live in a cardboard box on a shelf. These irons are being used more or less regularly.

There's a pack of older tapered blades, they're well waxed, wrapped in oiled brown paper and stored in a tight wooden box. They are not used regularly, and wait for the next plane restoration, etc.

I am looking forward to hearing some good answers. About to bring in a spare iron for #5 so I can have a straight with rounded corners and a bit of vamber on the other one. Mine I will probably have a pair of chipbreakers too, so ic an just switch back and forth.

I use the plastic cases for my LV irons. My LN spares sit in a felt lined drawer with the edge protected by the congealed goo it ships with. Others (plow plane irons) just sit in a drawer. Everything is treated with oil when stored.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

They are resting comfortly in a drawer, or 2.....figure I need to sharpen them up, before using, any way. Stanley, Millers Falls, Sargent...about all there is to stow away..
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I use the plastic cases for my LV irons. My LN spares sit in a felt lined drawer with the edge protected by the congealed goo it ships with. Others (plow plane irons) just sit in a drawer. Everything is treated with oil when stored.
    I think I am happy with the canvas roll-up for plow plane irons from LV, though mine is pretty new. Not sure if it would fit irons from other makers, but probably at least some overlap.

I have my plow plane blades loose in a little box in a drawer. I figure as long as they aren’t getting banged against other things they are ok. I’ll probably do something fancier one day, but it is pretty far down my list.

Plough plane irons for my 2 Stanley #45s...are in the holders Stanley made for them ( copied by me)

That reminds me...need to get one set up to plough a groove, next time I'm IN the shop...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Blog Entries
    This depends about which extra blades you are inquiring.

Extra blades for bench planes are stored in a box with chip extra breakers. The box includes a till above the blades to hold auger bits.

Blades for a wood body plow plane are held in a box that is mostly holding chisels. Both boxes can be seen in this image:

OilStone & Tool Bench.jpg

The box for the #55 holds blades for it. Directly below it and under the ellipse template and shallow box is the box with bench plane blades. To the right is a box of chisels & gouges that also holds blades for a wood body plow plane.

Then all the way back to the left is a cabinet with plastic drawers. There are a lot of blades for Stanley #45 & #50 stored in there.

Next is the plane wall:

Plane Wall.jpg

A few changes since, these images are about 4 years old.

The drawer on the left holds spare blades for block planes and other shop tools. The box under the shelf of combination planes holds a complete set of all the cutters made for a Stanley #45. The box was given to my grandson to house his #45. The blades are now on the shelf.

There are also a standard set of cutters for the #45 to the right of the top shelf of the molding planes:

Stanley 45 Blade Boxes.jpg

The straight line on the ends and is to signify plow blades. The line with a bump, beading blades. This makes it easier to pick which box of blades is wanted.

There are aslo a couple more boxes with #45 blades stowed in them on these shelves.

That is about all that come to mind at the moment. there is a 2-3/8" blade in the tote in the first image, but that belongs to a friend who asked me to sharpen it pre-pandemic. Maybe he should be given a call.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)