Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Considering a Ford Maverick

Geesh, I saw the ad and wondered why anyone would buy a Maverick, except as an antique. It was the first car my ex and I purchased together after we got married. I had a 1971 Maverick with the straight 6 POS engine. The car itself wasn't too bad for a domestic made compact. The engines were notoriuos for worn rings and bad compression. Once we reached about 65,000 miles the thing could barely climb a hill and took a quart of oil every other tank full of gas. Oh and the starter switch would engage for absolutely no reason whatever.

My first spouse's grandfather had the original Maverick. With a big V8 engine in it. Vawwwy Scawwy!

----

Perry, many of use when we hear the name have that kind of image in our minds. It's become "a thing" for the auto industry to resurrect vehicle names as of late; sometimes for a similar vehicle, such as when Dodge brought back the Challenger and in other cases, a "same name, different kind of vehicle" thing like with Ford's Maverick truck. I guess they want to keep us mentally on our toes!
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-24-2021 at 9:15 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Calow View Post
    I'm interested too. Ford truck reputation is based on their made in USA F-series. Where's the Maverick going to be built? Or just get a Ridgeline - best vehicle I ever owned.

OK I looked it up. Maverick will be made in Mexico, if that matters to you. I dont think thats either good or bad, but they'll probably still refer to it as made in North America.
    Any vehicle made in Mexico I'd avoid like the plague. Like Clint Eastwood said, do you feel lucky?
    Had a VW made there. Spent well over half its life in the shop. What a POS.. never again VW or Mexico.
    If you're gonna get a truck, get one made here or Canada.
    My 96 Ranger is still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    My first spouse's grandfather had the original Maverick. With a big V8 engine in it. Vawwwy Scawwy!

----

Perry, many of use when we hear the name have that kind of image in our minds. It's become "a thing" for the auto industry to resurrect vehicle names as of late; sometimes for a similar vehicle, such as when Dodge brought back the Challenger and in other cases, a "same name, different kind of vehicle" thing like with Ford's Maverick truck. I guess they want to keep us mentally on our toes!
    Wonder what Ford will bring back next? Is there an electric Edsel in the future?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    I thought this is what you were referring to. I didn't realize they had resurrected the name

Attachment 468634
    I had the same thought. I kinda thought the original Maverick car was not all that well received so why resurrect the name. I could be wrong though.

Blog Entries
    In it's day, the Maverick was the laughing stock of domestic cars. I think only the Pinto & Vega were more universally derided. My brother had one & it was a real turd.

The name kinda fits for a compact truck if you think about it, especially given the available hybrid powertrain and some features that might not be expected at the price points. It's kinda interesting, actually...although I'm not in the market for a pick-em-up truck. It's a nice option for an urban setting where pickup functionality is desire, but size matters.
    --

If electric, it will be a Pinto.

I believe Ford has said that they can't make a profit on cheap small cars if they are built in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I believe Ford has said that they can't make a profit on cheap small cars if they are built in the US.
    Maybe...regardless, the only "car" left is the Mustang at this point. It's all SUVs and pick-em-up trucks for the consumer market with Ford.
    --

Blog Entries
    Questionable naming aside, I think of all the former "big three" American car makers, Ford has got its finger on the pulse of the market the best. The just keep churning out really good vehicles that people want. I used to be a GM guy through & through, but now their vehicles just seem so boring. I guess they've used all their creative juices on the Corvette.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Questionable naming aside, I think of all the former "big three" American car makers, Ford has got its finger on the pulse of the market the best. The just keep churning out really good vehicles that people want. I used to be a GM guy through & through, but now their vehicles just seem so boring. I guess they've used all their creative juices on the Corvette.
    The strongest markets for the other name plates is also SUVs and pickup trucks at this point and even there, production has shifted strongly in that direction. Ford just took the "total plunge" sooner!
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    The strongest markets for the other name plates is also SUVs and pickup trucks at this point and even there, production has shifted strongly in that direction. Ford just took the "total plunge" sooner!
    I wonder if gas prices, if they remain high for an extended period might change that somewhat.

Blog Entries
    If gas prices keep going up they just give is one cylinder turbo SUVs that go 40 miles per gallon 😀

Ford no longer makes cars in the USA. Trucks and suv's only. The electric mustang is not a car it is a suv. Do they still make a gas engine Mustang?
    Bill D.