Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Considering a Ford Maverick

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Ford no longer makes cars in the USA. Trucks and suv's only. The electric mustang is not a car it is a suv. Do they still make a gas engine Mustang?
    Bill D.
    Yes, the one non-"truck" vehicle they still make is the Mustang and it's available with and ICE engine. https://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/?gnav=header-cars-vhp

The Mustang EV is considered an SUV for sure, but physically, it's kinda hatchback-ish because of how it's lowered in the back for aerodynamic reasons. It's not completely out of the realm of some Mustang body variants "back in the day" in my eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Harms View Post
    I wonder if gas prices, if they remain high for an extended period might change that somewhat.
    I doubt it. The swing to SUV and pickups is market driven. Sedan demand isn't high. Even minivans have suffered with the preference by many folks for the SUV format, especially with the availability of midsize 3--row vehicles. Yes, they don't carry as much as the minivans, but there are other factors that get weighed in. Some "sedans" have even migrated to what is essentially something that looks like a sedan, but is functionally a hatchback with a little lower clearance in the back. And folks haven't even slowed down with buying fuel, even with the high prices...Wall Street noticed and supply "correction" was not applied. Something else is also digging into the ICE sedan market and that is the increasing market for EVs. Even if the idea of a sedan gets back a little of its appeal to consumers, the industry is likely going to address that through new products that eschew gasoline rather than run parallel development and platforms. While this is all my opinion, it's what I see happening based on my interaction in the vehicle community including some insiders that participate.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-25-2021 at 12:35 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Back to the original question....I plan to buy a Maverick, but not until they bring out one with a plug, which will take a year or so longer. I want a plug in hybrid, but am open to all electric. It fits my needs, and I just sold my F250 to my grandson.

Looks like Ford hit a home run with the Maverick, as most of the 2022 models are pre-ordered already, and the few that make it to the dealers are being marked up by greedy dealers. Over 200,000 were pre-ordered, according to enthusiast websites. Yes, enthusiasts, there are a couple Maverick forums already.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Had an acquaintance from Arizona visit, his comment was that he was surprised with all of the Big 3 cars in the Detroit area. Out west it seems they are hardly a consideration. Doesn't sit well with many Michiganders. So many folks condemn a whole brand for what they were decades ago. Today you would be hard pressed to find a bad model from any manufacturer. Some just better than others.
    NOW you tell me...

I like the fuel mileage specs for the hybrid version. Not so much the gas version.

Unless you need to transport something tall in a pickup bed, it’s amazing what you can haul in a Prius V. This is the “station wagon” version of the Prius, and we’ve had two of them. No problems carrying 10’ lengths of conduit and 43mpg.

I am too old to the first on my block with anything new anymore. This is a handy sized truck for me, in snow country I would go with the AWD version, but on paper this truck might meet most of my needs. I would be most concerned about pulling my trailered boat up a muddy river bank, but my boat is small, my trailer is light, and on paper there is enough torque on tap; the trick would be matching tires to conditions.

I am not wild about the 4.5 foot bed. Car and Driver quoted the Ford literature that there is 48" of flat floor in the bed between the fenderbuckets, but C/D also didn't get out a tape measure to check in their article that I can see. If there really is 48" width in there that would be a major benefit. My 2015 Tacoma has 46" of flat floor between the fender buckets in the bed, my 1999 Ranger was about the same, not quite 48".

When I wear my Tacoma out someday, I will look at this and all similar sized trucks. I like that my Tacoma with tow package is rated to pull 6000#, but I have only needed to do it once in the first 80k miles, so I could go lower on that spec. I will let other people figure out if the Maverick is a reliable truck.

Scott, I agree that being assured of that width between the wheel wells would be a good thing to know and I suspect the number will come to light at some point. The short-short bed is probably adequate for a lot of of needs that one might want a small pickup for and a receiver mounted material support takes care of things when an 8-10' something needs to be hauled on occasion. That wouldn't be desirable for someone carrying long material a lot, but for occasional use...they are great. I used one with the 2000 Tundra Limited I owned before we adopted our girls. It had a shorter bed, although not as short as the Maverick.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Winners View Post

I am not wild about the 4.5 foot bed. Car and Driver quoted the Ford literature that there is 48" of flat floor in the bed between the fenderbuckets, but C/D also didn't get out a tape measure to check in their article that I can see. If there really is 48" width in there that would be a major benefit. My 2015 Tacoma has 46" of flat floor between the fender buckets in the bed, my 1999 Ranger was about the same, not quite 48".
    From https://jalopnik.com/the-2022-ford-m...l-o-1847802688
    The plywood rides on top of the wheel wells

EA7B1BB1-5016-43EC-BFC6-51C24D6EBD26.jpeg
    Jim

Also in the jakopnik article they say there is a stop, a half way locking position on the tail gate, so the 4x8 sheets ride on top of the fenders and on top of the tailgate latched at half mast. Good idea. Thanks Jim Braun for the link. I will keep an eye out for these on the roads up here.