Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Great Turkey Drop - WKRP in Cincinnati

Blog Entries

The Great Turkey Drop - WKRP in Cincinnati

In 1978 a television program did a sketch of dropping turkeys as a Thanksgiving Day promotion.

It went terribly wrong.

Still fun to watch > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGFtV6-ALoQ

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I remember seeing it the first time. It's funny how certain bits from old TV shows have a life of their own and stay memorable permanently.
    < insert spurious quote here >

Hilarious, don't remember seeing that episode back then but certainly remember the show.

Very funny! Thanks for sharing it.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I do remember that one. Thank You for posting. Another favorite was the "dancing ducks" promotion. "How did you train the ducks to dance at a certain time?" "No training they are standing on a griddle so we just turn it on"

Thanks, been a while since I saw that

Today at the end they would have to put in a disclaimer that no turkeys were injured in the filming of this show.
    Bill D

That's a classic, and some great character actors

43 years later, "As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly" is still considered one of the classic lines in TV history. The best part is how all the action takes place off screen and the viewer "sees" the action through the body language and emotions of "your on location reporter" Les along with the crew in the DJ studio. It even has "Oh the humanity", a reference to the Hindenburg disaster.

I grew up on a poultry farm and we raised turkeys for Thanksgiving. Domestic turkeys can fly, for example, to fly up into a tree. I have no idea if they could fly to the ground after being dropped from a helicopter. Obviously, we never did that.

Younger turkeys can fly fairly well, after they have their mature feathers and before they put on too much weight. We would cut the feathers on one wing to keep them from flying.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    Definitely one of my favorites.

They’re hitting the ground like wet sacks of cement.

Classic.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    I am sorry to be “that guy,” but I never thought it was funny, and never understood why it became so iconic. First of all, turkeys can fly! They can’t fly long distances, but they can certainly fly, much like chickens; yes, they also fly. That tidbit kind of ruins the whole thing, but even overlooking that, I always thought it was stretching a dumb joke way too far to make it a whole show. There- I said it.

What I would have done is have the guy say, “Oh, I thought you meant FROZEN turkeys!” There would be a mad scramble to stop the event before they dropped the frozen turkeys out of the helicopter. The reporter could report on the people being injured en masse from 20 pound frozen turkeys falling from the helicopter. Now that would be… well… never mind… that would be kinda taking it too far. Perhaps just “Oh, you meant LIVE turkeys?…” and have them dropping dead ones, but not frozen- just dead. Lessen the injuries maybe 30%. “Here we go, the first turkeys are being dropped, and… oh my… seems that one landed on a sunroof. That’s a mess. Here comes another- oh! Looks like Miss Johnson the librarian wasn’t as prepared as she thought she was for that catch.”

If any TV producers are out there, my services are available.

In my 61 years on this planet, I have never laughed harder at network TV, than when I watched that episode.

Being from southwest Ohio and the hometown of "Big Guy", Gordon Jump, I never missed a show. Definitely one of the all-time great comedy shows. The turkey drop was hilarious to me.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Blog Entries
    One of the BEST TV shows ever made. Truly funny and this was probably the best show.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others