Thread: Used Minimax 4e pricing

Used Minimax 4e pricing

Well we are moving overseas soon and most everything has to go. Pricing on the Festool items and even the bandsaw are easy enough, but maybe not the slider.

What's the depreciation like? I know there are a lot of variables and it's a very niche like item but want to at least start at a fair price for me, as well as prospective buyer. I really dislike the whole haggling and back and forth when selling things. I usually make the mistake of assuming that buyers are like me. If the price is right, or seems fair, I just fork over the money and on my way. I know most are not like that.

Anyhoo, it's about 11 months old. A sc4e with 8.5 wagon, an optional (I was told) out feed table, Dado insert, couple 3 12" blades, etc. It's really like new and has no issues. In Atlanta, so not a huge base of woodworkers as in other parts of the country, so there's that.

Ideas? I know you recently sold a 315 Jim, right? What was the depreciation if you don't mine sharing. Anyone else sell a larger machine recently?

What is the lead time on a new one? I would list it at 95%+ of the original price and mention in the ad that new ones that are identical are xx months out and see what happens if you have a little bit of time.

Wouldn’t be surprised if you sold it like that in this era of new machines being several months out from when an order is placed.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    What is the lead time on a new one? I would list it at 95%+ of the original price and mention in the ad that new ones that are identical are xx months out and see what happens if you have a little bit of time.

Wouldn’t be surprised if you sold it like that in this era of new machines being several months out from when an order is placed.
    Good point there Phillip. Will have to check. When I ordered mine I was lucky in that there was one that just came off the line, took about 3 months I think. I believe I was told that if I wanted one without the optional tables it would be close to 6-8 months.

Joe, I don't remember what the original list price of the S315WS I sold was back in about 2004 and I got lucky when I bought it with a "show special" price, too. But I'm guessing that the price I sold it to to a fellow 'Creeker was at a reasonably high percentage of original cost. And that was for an 2004 machine in more or less excellent condition. Given the supply situation for both new and used machinery right now, I'm guessing you can do pretty darn well...I'm in complete agreement with Phillip ^^ on this.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Joe, you seem to be in Atlanta, which adds the challenge that any prospective customer can just as easily drive to Italian Headquarters and pick up a brand new machine w/ warranty etc. as pick up yours. If you truly want to not haggle and move it quickly, I'd list it for $5K and see how that goes. New machinery supply on analog Classical machines is somewhat catching up to demand, so I don't feel like folks can get away with asking 95% of list, like they could a year ago. I guess it boils down to what your time is worth.
    Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Thanks guys. That's a big gap- 95% and about 60%. I will check with SCM to see what they have in stock.

Joe,
    Nothing in stock, but they quoted a steady stream of dates for incoming machines when I communicated with my rep this October. I put my name on an incoming si 315es at end of October. Scheduled to land in the states/ship to me late December (yes, this year). Claimed a nova 520s at same time - lands late March, 2022. Could have had it sooner, but it was Tersa and they were willing to swap out for a Zylex head, which saved me from a July delivery. Pulled a small additional discount for buying the set, but the si 315es listed for about $12,125.00 + shipping. They also quoted about $9,650 for sc4e with a January arrival at that time.

FWIW - I would have been a solid prospect for your machine, though once I reach 70% or more of new, I would be inclined to pay up for factory-fresh. Considering today's shipping rates, a two day round trip to TX from SD may not be as crazy as it sounds.

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Roltgen View Post
    Joe,
    Nothing in stock, but they quoted a steady stream of dates for incoming machines when I communicated with my rep this October. I put my name on an incoming si 315es at end of October. Scheduled to land in the states/ship to me late December (yes, this year). Claimed a nova 520s at same time - lands late March, 2022. Could have had it sooner, but it was Tersa and they were willing to swap out for a Zylex head, which saved me from a July delivery. Pulled a small additional discount for buying the set, but the si 315es listed for about $12,125.00 + shipping. They also quoted about $9,650 for sc4e with a January arrival at that time.

FWIW - I would have been a solid prospect for your machine, though once I reach 70% or more of new, I would be inclined to pay up for factory-fresh. Considering today's shipping rates, a two day round trip to TX from SD may not be as crazy as it sounds.

Hope that helps.
    Useful information, thank you. Reminds me of the delivery. Even though it was only about 20 miles away I opted for delivery by SCM. It was to a small industrial space I have and I did not have someone I could get to help. SCM assured me, twice, that it would fit on the lift gate of the truck. I had doubts so asked the day before if a guy in the complex with a forklift could assist if needed. Glad I did. The truck driver was as unhelpful as he could be, which is unsurprising but between the guy working the lift and me pushing we were able to get it far enough off the gate to allow him to lift it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Roltgen View Post
    Joe,

Hope that helps.
    I rented a car trailer and brought my sc4 saw/shaper, fs41 jointer/planer, and MM20 bandsaw home to SD from Texas in the dead of winter. And unloaded them in a snow storm. But I did shoot a pig while I was in Texas!
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    But I did shoot a pig while I was in Texas!
    Leigh, I wish you would have stayed longer and shot A LOT more.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep