Thread: Bevel Joint (with Dominos) Dry Fit OK but After Adding Glue Impossible to Tighten

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Bevel Joint (with Dominos) Dry Fit OK but After Adding Glue Impossible to Tighten

I have a Festool Domino DF500. Been using it a while and am competent cutting Dominos at 90 deg. and 45 deg bevels. This was my first glue up with 45 deg bevels and first time using Titebond 3.

Each bevelled face got 3 dominos with opposing sides with elongated slots for adjustment room. It dried-fit fine and the bevel joints came together. However, after putting glue in the slots I couldn't close the bevel shut again. The dominos didn't go in all the way (half-and-half) and after 5-10 mins of trying to close the gap, I decided to pull all dominos out and just brad-nailed the joint together. As I pulled the dominos out, I noticed it was really stuck in there.

TB3 was suppose to be slow to set so I don't think it was because the glue had gone tacky. I'm wondering if I'd put too much glue in the slot (the smaller slot of the two mating faces), the domino/slot swelled up, making it difficult to push the dominos in all the way.

If you've ever done this joint, how much glue did you put in the slots? Did you cut both sides extra wide?
    Attached Images Attached Images