Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Hammer A3-31/41 Where to look?

Used Hammer A3-31/41 Where to look?

After a lot of searching, the Hammer A3-31/41 (or possibly the SCM Minimax) with a helical head, is my next piece of shop equipment. Where would I look for either machine used? I've tried the usual suspects, FB Marketplace (seems to be limited to local only), Craigslist (seems to be losing popularity) and even "sold" listing on ebay (no hits). Even this forum seems like it hasn't had a listing for a Hammer planer in the past year.
    I know these machines are rare, but some folks on this forum mention finding a used one.
    So any hints on a site that sells these?
    Greatly appreciated.

ps. I haven't had much luck with used equipment companies like Machinio - they seem too close to full retail for used equipment.

Rick,

Unfortunately, you are looking for a rarer kind of equipment. Im sure you are looking in all the right places, but i personally havent seen many felder/hammer listings in the last few months. Similarly, i used to see a Martin saw a month, and the last year has been a Martin saw every quarter. I think the used machine market is still pretty limited on supply and stuff doesnt sit for weeks/months. I would suggest getting comfortable with buying something very far away and dealing with the headache of shipping it, or buy new. I am skeptical you will find a J/P machine with a healical head within an hour or two of you within the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Inami View Post
    Thanks for these links!!

Might also check out the felder owners group.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Thanks for the realistic outlook. I know these are pretty rare and may have to wait it out, or splurge. I am willing to drive a day or two.
    Good, cheap or fast, pick any two.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Kane View Post
    Rick,

Unfortunately, you are looking for a rarer kind of equipment. Im sure you are looking in all the right places, but i personally havent seen many felder/hammer listings in the last few months. Similarly, i used to see a Martin saw a month, and the last year has been a Martin saw every quarter. I think the used machine market is still pretty limited on supply and stuff doesnt sit for weeks/months. I would suggest getting comfortable with buying something very far away and dealing with the headache of shipping it, or buy new. I am skeptical you will find a J/P machine with a healical head within an hour or two of you within the next year.

Rick, just keep monitoring a bunch of potential marketplaces and be ready to commit when something comes up. But also set a time limit and/or monitor sale pricing on new. You're going to be paying good money even for used on these machines and if the delta between used and new with promotional pricing is close enough, order a new one.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Slightly off topic..
    There is a
    Hammer A3 41D/11 planer with Helical head locally available for $3k. It is a 2011 model. Is that a fair price?

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Jacobs View Post
    Slightly off topic..
    There is a
    Hammer A3 41D/11 planer with Helical head locally available for $3k. It is a 2011 model. Is that a fair price?
    They're about 6 currently. Generally not production type tools. If I had found one for that price locally, I'd have jumped on it.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Sorry if this posted twice?
    Slightly off topic..
    There is a

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Jacobs View Post
    Sorry if this posted twice?
    Slightly off topic..
    There is a
    Very good price, they are about 7 new. I bought my 31 for 3900 in 2015. For a 1000 more I could of had the 41. Now they are almost double. Kicking myself.

I agree you are on a bit of a unicorn hunt. It is possible to find something though, and you're in a location better than me. I watched for about 4 months, essentially gave up and nearly put a deposit on a new a3-41. Then found a minimax a couple hours away on CL.

And yes, I agree that planer is going for a good price.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

The new ones are on sale right now, but the used one for $3k is a steal if its in good shape and functions well. https://www.felder-group.com/en-us/s...block-sp979098

I think I did a bait-n-switch on you guys.
    The 2011 model available locally is a only a planer (Model A3 41D) but it does have a Helical Cutter and has a 3KW motor. It seems to look like it's in decent condition.
    Here's a link on Felder's site
    So is $3k a still a fair price?
    Thank you!

I find keeping the search less specific really helps on FB.
    i just searched and found a A3-31 currently for sale as well as a couple Felder combo machines. I'm on the wrong coast for you though.