Thread: Leigh DT Jig; alternative finger spacer material?

Leigh DT Jig; alternative finger spacer material?

I'm looking for some of that plastic C-channel stuff that comes with these jigs that you can cut and fit into the fingers to prevent unwanted cuts. I thought I could just buy some from Leigh, but no.

Any other solutions? I fit some pieces of wood the other day, but that was in a pinch. Couldn't find anything at the local hardware store either.

Back when I owned the Leigh I always just used wood to block off things. They didn't provide anything with the jig at that time like you describe.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Aluminum I beam?

I have a Leigh D4 (IIRC, haven't had it out in a while) and nothing was included for use between the fingers except a long square rod. I just cut some wood pieces that size to fit and cut them to length. If you want plastic, maybe get one of those plastic cutting boards and cut your own. Good luck.

I got the same channel with mine, and have wondered the same about replacement sourcing - - just not needed it yet.

Just measured what I have at 9/32" wide by 1/2" tall (legs). The web thickness does not seem critical in this application, and I have considered that it could even be solid. Material seems to be either nylon or polypropylene(?)

I have not done an exhaustive search of edge profiles, but this might bear fruit? Or, if solid bar works for you, take a look at McMaster-Carr (or other extruded plastic suppliers) for their sheet goods? ...link page has 6x6x1/4 UHMW, and if suitable, it could be sliced into 1/2" strips, then cut to as-needed lengths.

That gives me ideas. Maybe I can order some U-channel trim that is dimensionally similar. I like using this stuff, because it's convenient, and kinda "snaps" into position. The wood pieces I made required tape to hold them in position. Plus the time to make them. The plastic stuff cuts with a utility knife.

Sonof a bi..... I must have spent 30 minutes on their web site and could not find it anywhere!

Thank you!!