Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

22 Nov 2021

Greetings,
    We are still waiting for the state of Alabama to issue a death certificate for my oldest son. I never thought it would take so long to get the paperwork done so a funeral can be planned, scheduled, and executed. Now it appears that it's going to take so long that all my of out of state guests are going to have to return home and not attend the funeral. I guess we'll see how long this will take.
    No woodworking for me.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I'm sorry about your loss, and I'm sure this complication is frustrating. Up here the funeral laws/system are pretty messed up too, it doesn't seem right.

My only accomplishment worth mentioning was moving a cast iron 54" bathtub with an apron down a flight of stairs by myself with no broken bones or significant damage to the stairs.

Sad at the delays, Dennis...not only difficult for closure, but as you mention, difficult for the extended family and friends from out of town to pay their respects. Call if you need to chat.

My woodworking activities for the week were firmly in the "turn logs into lumber" mode as I had some spruce, ash and walnut milled up from our old property. I used the same sawyer that did the deed twice before for me in 2000 and 2008 respectively and it was a great experience. The one difference this time around was the need to physically transport the boards from the old property after cutting to stack and sticker here at the new property. So each board was lifted at least twice and some three times because of wanting the longest boards (spruce) on the bottom of the stack which was the first log cut. The spruce was actually the hardest to cut...and it was also the most expensive because "no free log goes unpunished". It came from the neighbor's property as a gift (28" diameter) but had, um...some metal in it..costing two bands. The ash and walnut cut beautifully and there is actually a little spalting in a few of the ash boards. Here are some photos...the first was the end game and the rest during the process. My daughter's significant other provided his time to help and we were done cutting in three hours.

IMG_0399.jpg

IMG_0390.jpg IMG_0392.jpg IMG_0393.jpg IMG_0394.jpg

IMG_0395.jpg IMG_0396.jpg IMG_0397.jpg
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Dennis, so sorry for the frustrating delays while you and your family are mourning the loss of your son. My sympathy to all of you. My accomplishments pale, compared to the happenings in your life, so I'll just spare the details for this week.

Dennis, I am also sorry for your loss. It does seem out of order, as some religions require burial the next day. My mom passed a few months ago and I held her funeral the next day. (In new jersey). A number of years ago my grandmother passed away in New Jersey at about 9:30pm. We held her funeral in New York at 10am the next morning. Sorry to hear you are going through all of this when you are morning the loss of a family member.

As far as woodworking, i've been making some boxes for the kitchen to hold spice jars. Most of it was really messing around with the incra iBox jig i just got. I also helped my son rebuild a stool he design/built in his material engineering class. They did it all with hand tools and nothing more than a saw and tape measure and just end-glue the boards together. i wanted to show him how to build it using some basic joinery.

Dennis, my condolences to you and your family.

Since my last update a couple weeks ago: I finished fixing the leaf vac and spent a couple of days picking up leaves and clearing out flower beds etc. I will have to do another pass now that remaining leaves are finally down. Can't remember a year where leaf fall was so late.

I got the kitchen painted. Did some tuck pointing on the end of the brick wall behind the fireplace in the adjoining family room. What was there was obviously done with the old cabinets in place against the edge of the wall, so there were lots of gaps and such. I'm no mason, but tuck pointing I can do.

I got 7 cabinets installed which comprise the north wall. This includes the sink and dishwasher so this wall got priority. I installed the sink and disposal and the dishwasher, and got it all hooked up. No faucet yet but the dishwasher is a big deal! However, the Bosch dishwasher decided to go squirrely, intermittently responding to button presses, sometimes not turning on at all, throwing various error codes. Not good. I spent a couple of days on and off fussing with it, and think it is finally straightened out. I believe the control board got wet when I moved the DW from the storage bedroom back to the kitchen and water that was left in the sump spilled out. I removed the board, washed it and carefully dried it, and then cleaned and dried all the connectors in the machine. Seems good now, but I won't celebrate until we run a few more loads.

I think I mentioned earlier that the sink base cabinet arrived with a cracked stile. Kraftmaid would have replaced it but it was such a simple fix it just seemed like a waste, so I went ahead and fixed it. Then I had to do the cutout for the apron sink, and install extra support for the big, heavy, sink.

The flooring came in and I picked it up. Not nearly ready for it, but glad to have it in these days of long lead items.

I made a temporary countertop and will install that tomorrow along with the faucet and then we can abandon the temporary kitchen in the laundry room just in time for Thanksgiving. Mary and I went counterto shopping and settled on some dark gray quartz and also picked out hardware for the cabinets.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Dennis my friend, all I can say is I'm so sorry for your loss! You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers!

Began the tiling process on the shower I gutted a few weeks ago.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Dennis my friend, so sorry to hear of all of this.

Dennis, like all the other posters here who have followed your travail, you have my deepest sympathy. I work in the funeral service (Jewish) and I've never heard of a delay like this. I pray for a quick healing.
    I am finishing the tops of the cabinets I built with a Mohawk product, a wipe on oil based mid sheen water resistant coating. The rest of the "boxes" are made, and once I have my second coat on the top, I'll begin the sanding and coating the bases, final fitting of the doors & back, and get ready for the reveal. I WILL post pictures once finished.
    The wife needs her pull-out shelving for the kitchen, so that's my next project - oh yes, and the inside of the house needs painting ......
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.