Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Time for a Change?

Blog Entries

Time for a Change?

This weekend it is time to adjust our clocks back again unless you live in some of the Mountain Time Zone states or Hawaii.

For many people this is an ordeal, like all those folks who couldn't figure out how to change the clock on their VCR. My previous truck was always on standard time until the radio sort of went weird and the fuse was removed.

Many would like to just be on one time and forget about the biannual ritual of clock changing. It is a real hassle if you have wall clocks or pendulum clocks. Of then the easiest way to set the clock back is to just stop it for an hour. Going forward is a pain if it has chimes, especially if you have a few.

There is a discussion on the advantages of staying with one set time versus the other. Some falsehoods have been introduced into the story over the years. It seems many of us were told Daylight Savings Time was good for farmers. It seems many farmers dislike it since it messes with their routines.

Article at > https://www.nytimes.com/2021/11/03/o...ving-time.html

Either permanent Daylight Savings Time or Standard Time would be fine with me. Changing the clocks has been a problem for me at times.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

The hardest part for us is that our dogs don't use clocks. We've been feeding them a little later each day, in preparation, but they're still having a hard time with any change in being fed later.

As an experiment one year I left all my clocks, wristwatch and all, unchanged and just got used to making the adjustment when I looked at them. In a short time it became automatic. That was twice that year I didn't have to change the clocks.
    Of course with many clocks today the time change is automatic.

There are a handful of analog clocks around the house that need to be changed by hand, but none of them are what you'd call "mission-critical". The ones that matter all handle the time change by themselves. First year with the current car, time change was only about a week after I bought it. So I slogged through the manual looking for the arcane clock-set sequence, only to go out to the car and discover it had already handled the change overnight.

The dog doesn't seem to care when he's fed, but that's because it's whenever I get up, which is usually around sunrise for both daylight and standard time. The cat always thinks she gets fed at least two hours late anyway...no point trying to adjust for it.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

How do you think the time keepers at Stonehenge feel having to reposition those rocks?

For keeping a sense of time all the time ,I suggest a “noon mark” …or two of them . One inside ,reflected onto a ceiling,by a small mirror and one outside. Can be as simple as a stick in the ground at the end of a North -South line. It will center your days , charming devices.
    Easy to find examples and info. And you will start to notice others. Some are pretty old.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    How do you think the time keepers at Stonehenge feel having to reposition those rocks?
    Time Change at the Hinge.jpg

In my younger days there was always a confusion about this. To me it seemed if you were going to fall you would want to fall forward so you could catch yourself. If there was a poisonous snake in your path wouldn't you spring back?

So one October morning after setting my clock ahead it was off to work only to find everything still locked up and dark. Realizing what happened it seemed like going to a local diner and having breakfast and coffee and a relaxing read of the morning paper would pass the time. No luck, it came to me it was actually two hours earlier. So it hit me, this would be the perfect way to change my lifestyle. There in San Francisco I could walk a few miles, get back to the diner, have breakfast and get to work. Doing this everyday might be good for me. So I started walking at a pretty good pace. Went up one hill and down the other side. Walked around the base of the hill and figured by now the diner might be open and started back. On my way I decided to take a short cut through an ally. While walking through there was a man jumping up and down on a manhole cover yelling "forty four, forty four, forty four" over and over. My curiosity got the best of me so I walked up, stopped him and asked what the heck he was doing.

He told me he set his clock ahead instead of back and got into work way too early. I told him the same happened to me. He then told me he decided to do some exercise and while he was doing jumping jacks when he got to forty four it gave him a unique 'enlightened' feeling. He said he found forty four was the number. No other number gave him the same feeling, only forty four produced the feeling. Then he told me to try it. I was a bit reluctant but he was very convincing. So I jumped up and down a couple times on the manhole cover saying forty four and said no, it ain't working for me. He was fervent about it saying I had to jump higher and say it louder. Okay, a few more times then I'm out of here. As I was jumping and yelling forty four he started cheering me on, "Higher louder, higher louder, higher louder… I jumped as high as I have ever jumped and yelled FORTY FOUR at the top of my lungs and was starting to feel a little euphoric. Meanwhile he pulled up the manhole cover and I fell in. He pushed the manhole cover back in place and I could hear him jumping up and down on the manhole cover yelling forty five, forty five, forty five, forty five

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

I think the change is good for kids not having to walk to school in the dark. That could be adjusted by changing the start time though. When working I never liked the lack of light after work to get things done around the house. Now that I’m retired that is not an issue.

Random thoughts.

Here in Canada, in Alberta, they just ran a proposal to stay on DST all year round. It looked like it was going to pass, until a few days before the vote. Then some scientists came out and said that, if the time was not going to be changed, it should remain on Central Standard Time all year round, not DST. This caused enough doubt in the minds of the voters that the proposal failed.

In Quebec a few years ago, there was a proposal to ditch DST, but only if Ontario and New York would agree. There is enough cross border traffic between those regions that the Quebec politician figured that it had to be all or nothing. He seemed to forget completely about the thousands of commuters who cross between Windsor Ontario and Detroit Michigan every day.

This week, Bell Canada had to issue an apology to its phone subscribers. It seems that, its computer isn't quite as smart as they thought it was and it reset all the clocks on subscribers' cell phones back an hour last weekend. Many screaming people were late for work on Monday.
    Grant
    Ottawa ON

Blog Entries
    This week, Bell Canada had to issue an apology to its phone subscribers. It seems that, its computer isn't quite as smart as they thought it was and it reset all the clocks on subscribers' cell phones back an hour last weekend. Many screaming people were late for work on Monday.
    It seems at one time the clocks were set back the weekend of or before Halloween. That may have been the cause of someone telling the computer the wrong day.

jtk

Blog Entries
    Daylight Saving Time is a pox on humanity and was ill conceived. That is all.

Amish are on "slow time", they call daylight savings time, "fast time". Of course it doesn't matter much as they work from sun up to sun down.

Jim Koepke, groan. I read about 3/4 of that before I finally realized it wasn’t going to end well.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

I'm not fond of the twice a year time change. It's not really a good thing at this point, even if its original intentions (whatever they really may have been) were honestly contrived. Consistency is better for our health...it's hard enough for some of us to deal with the shorter daylight in the winter months as it is and when you add a funky time change to the mix, it's even harder. In the US, there's been talk of eliminating the change for a long time now, but the action required to "make it so" keeps getting put on the back burner.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim,
    Everyone should know by now that 42 is the answer to all the questions in the Universe