Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sticker Shock

Blog Entries

Sticker Shock

Bought three pieces of wood last week. Talk about sticker shock. 5' x 12/4 x 5" black walnut ($180) 5' x 8/4 x 5" hard maple ($110), 3/4" S4S purple heart, approx 5" x 7' ($55) All told #65 with tax. So much for inexpensive Christmas presents.
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

Well, I may be in for a surprise. Headed to Fine Lumber in Austin soon to pick up hard maple for a double bath vanity. I am not sure how much but at those rates even a few small boards will be a fortune.

If you are ever this way and have never been, Fine Lumber is a great lumber yard. There is a Woodcraft close by and a new Rockler store opened five or six miles north on I35.

That’s almost $30 / bd ft for the Walnut and over $25 / bd ft for Hard Maple??.....what sort of establishment did you buy these sticks from? Rockler / Woodcraft ?

Granted 12/4 is always a premium but that’s about 4-5x what I’d pay for 4/4 or 8/4 walnut around here and over 5x the price of 8/4 FAS hard maple...and for short pieces.
    Still waters run deep.

Yes, unless you got something really special that seems way high for the domestic hardwoods and more than I would expect for purpleheart. What was the source?

8/4 walnut is $16.50 from my local supplier. No clue what 12/4 goes for but I'm sure it's more. 8/4 hard maple is around $7.
    John

Must be some really expensive freight charges added into those. None of those species grow in Texas, right?

You seriously overpaid. I'm in FL, which is about as expensive as it gets due to freight. 8/4 Hard Maple is $8.60/bdft near me. So $35 for that piece. Wherever you went, don't go back.

Blog Entries
    Its Alamo Hardwoods in San Antonio. Premium lumber is all they sell. Not many choices here.

Blog Entries
    We have a Woodcraft in San Antonio and wish we had a Rockler. Jealous since your Rockler just opened.

Quote Originally Posted by tim walker View Post
    Its Alamo Hardwoods in San Antonio. Premium lumber is all they sell. Not many choices here.
    Tim
    I have had good luck with Dakota Hardwoods which is off of Perrin-Beitel close to where 410 meets I-35. Alamo always seemed pretty proud of their stock.

John

The store I bought my PCS at sells hardwood but I haven't purchased any because of the price. I think cherry was $10/bd ft or more there last time I needed some. Cheap compared to the place the OP visited. Around here at least, cherry used to be cheaper than walnut but it isn't much different now. I buy from a different place, further away, where I can get it for about $5/bd ft. The boards at the expensive place are nicely planned but I prefer to plane it myself so all the boards are planned to the same thickness. I did not find that domestic hardwood went up last year when lumber prices skyrocketed.

When I see prices like the OP paid, I just walk out and look some more. I haven't had to come back yet but I might some day. If I really need something and they are the only ones that have it...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Dwight View Post
    The store I bought my PCS at sells hardwood but I haven't purchased any because of the price. I think cherry was $10/bd ft or more there last time I needed some. Cheap compared to the place the OP visited. Around here at least, cherry used to be cheaper than walnut but it isn't much different now. I buy from a different place, further away, where I can get it for about $5/bd ft. The boards at the expensive place are nicely planned but I prefer to plane it myself so all the boards are planned to the same thickness. I did not find that domestic hardwood went up last year when lumber prices skyrocketed.

When I see prices like the OP paid, I just walk out and look some more. I haven't had to come back yet but I might some day. If I really need something and they are the only ones that have it...

They didn't go up much around me last year but that all changed this Spring. I talked to the guy I buy lumber from and he said prices were increasing nearly every week during Spring and Summer, and that certainly has been reflected in their prices. Hard maple was less than $4 last year; now it's $7. Black walnut was $8 for 4/4, now it's over $12. Good grief I think tulip poplar was $4 the last time I looked.

John

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell;[URL="tel:3156687"
    3156687[/URL]]That’s almost $30 / bd ft for the Walnut and over $25 / bd ft for Hard Maple??.....what sort of establishment did you buy these sticks from? Rockler / Woodcraft ?

Granted 12/4 is always a premium but that’s about 4-5x what I’d pay for 4/4 or 8/4 walnuts around here and over 5x the price of 8/4 FAS hard maple...and for short pieces.
    +1. About $10/bf for walnut out here.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Rocker was 14$ b/f for walnut last week in ATL.

Tim , was. Ben Dover your salesman at Alamo ?

A place in PA has their price sheet online https://www.hearnehardwoods.com/price-list/

Plain (non-figured) FAS walnut 12/4 is 14.25 a board food. Your board is 6.25 should be about $90 unless it was 100% clear or had some cool figure or something in it to make it worth 30.00 a board foot.

If you need a fair amount of wood, it might be worthwhile to have it shipped.