Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sticker Shock

John, I was there last week. If I understood correctly hard maple is now much more than walnut. Cherry is about $6 bf while maple was $14, and walnut $11. Popular is now same price as red oak and don't even think about plywood products. Been dealing with fine for couple of decades now and prices are just insane and topsy turvy. Consider cherry or sapele for your vanity, will be much cheaper than the maple.

I just bought some wood last week. $4/bf (s2s with one straight edge) for maple and $100 for a sheet of prefinished one side maple 7 ply plywood. I know I used to pay about $60 for this plywood in the past.

3. Wow, that is a lot.

Here in Atlanta I pay about $4 for hard maple 8/4 and about $8.50 for 8/4 walnut. Perhaps try a regular supplier and not one they call 'premium.'

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Hendershott View Post
    Wow, that is a lot.

Here in Atlanta I pay about $4 for hard maple 8/4 and about $8.50 for 8/4 walnut. Perhaps try a regular supplier and not one they call 'premium.'
    Where are you shopping ?

I haven’t seen those kinds of prices for 5-6 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    A place in PA has their price sheet online https://www.hearnehardwoods.com/price-list/

Plain (non-figured) FAS walnut 12/4 is 14.25 a board food. Your board is 6.25 should be about $90 unless it was 100% clear or had some cool figure or something in it to make it worth 30.00 a board foot.

If you need a fair amount of wood, it might be worthwhile to have it shipped.
    You need to take a field trip there sometime, Justin...it's a "candy store". Very dangerous to the wallet but thrilling at the same time. Lots of species you've never heard of in addition to those you have.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Reading about some of these high prices makes me glad I have a good stock on hand. I'm helping a friend make a cutting board now: chose bubinga, guatambu, and thick walnut veneer for accents. Fortunately I have plenty of all that in 8/4 and thicker.

If you are up for a drive, you might consider some of the independent Central Texas sawmills like Berdoll Sawmill.

https://berdollsawmill.com/?gclid=Cj...hoCHEMQAvD_BwE

Great people to deal with.

Blog Entries
    Easy fix is to just stop looking at the bill. Problem solved
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

For the TX folks, you might consider Plywood Co. of Ft. Worth, currently:
    - - Walnut RWL 6/4@$10.40/bf // 8/4@$14.02/bf (no 12/4 listed) - no bargains here IMHO, but for OP's comparison;
    - - Maple Rough SEL-BTR RWL 4/4@$5.29/bf // 8/4@$5.56/bf // 12/4@$6.61/bf

They cater to the cabinet and sign trades, with basic NA hardwoods and some softwoods, but so far, have been just fine with me walking in the front door with my consumer sized orders. Hardwood stock is not what I would call premium or furniture grade, and the walnut is steamed, but you can pick it off the pallet. You might not find that perfect turning square, but you can save some coin on large orders of basics (vs local Wood World or Woodcraft). And I'm sure they will ship or deliver.

...just a customer. And I found a bit of curl in the cherry I got from them!

Consider also joining http://Woodbarter.com and then asking for the woods that you’re wanting to buy or trade. There are several members in the Texas area so one might be close.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    A place in PA has their price sheet online https://www.hearnehardwoods.com/price-list/

Plain (non-figured) FAS walnut 12/4 is 14.25 a board food. Your board is 6.25 should be about $90 unless it was 100% clear or had some cool figure or something in it to make it worth 30.00 a board foot.

If you need a fair amount of wood, it might be worthwhile to have it shipped.
    Hearne is my go to place, fantastic selection. Even if it was highly figured, you would only be adding a few $$ per bf. So you 12/4 highly figured might be 16/bf. You should definitely look for another place to buy from.

Last month my local guy said prices have gone up on almost everything but both cherry and walnut have remained steady. I paid just under $8 a BF for 4/4 12" wide QSWO and $10.25 for 10" 4/4 walnut. I like his walnut because he doesn't steam it. Since he logs off a family farm only a few miles from me his selection is only what grows locally. I do have envy for those of you who have a local place that stocks wood that doesn't grow locally. I keep saying I'm going to stop in and check out Highland hardwoods in southern NH (exotic price list and domestic price list) but they are just far enough out of the way that I would want to buy something and I'm rarely driving anything that I could carry long lengths of wood.
    Last edited by Alex Zeller; 11-24-2021 at 1:42 PM.

Blog Entries
    No, a younger hispanic gentleman
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

http://www.forest2home.com/

Forest2Home is a new advertiser here, they sell high quality northern species.
    I posted pictures recently of the Butternut boards that I got from them, very nice.

We also have a Member here (David Borik (512-422-5200) who lives just outside of Austin Texas. David sells about anything you want including endangered species that he imported before they were banned.

Another member here (Scott Smith 919-291-0095) recently sent me some copper beech for some special pen blanks. He owns a sawmill and a kiln and specializes in quarter sawn lumber in North Carolina.

There are some excellent sources for anything woodworking here. With over 140,000 registered members you can bet you can get more than just good advice.
    NOW, how do you find the people here who can help. For many years we have had the Friends of the Creek group whose information is accessible via database but very few have taken advantage of their services. So, we are in the process of creating a Friends of the Creek Forum that will provide the kind of access here that you are all familiar with. It's a bit to early to provide the details, mostly because we have a lot of decisions to make yet but it won't be long before we convert our database to a new forum here.