Thread: Spoon, Center, and other non Auger style brace bits?

Spoon, Center, and other non Auger style brace bits?

Since I began hand tool woodworking, I had only ever used auger bits in my brace.

However, the brace I bought on ebay came with a bunch of bits, including some smaller diameter spoon bits! And also some non-threaded twist gimlet style bits. I like both a lot.

The gimlet style bits in the smaller diameters are great for drilling small diameter pilot holes for screws and nails (I think I have a 1/16" and a 1/8" in this size), and it's great to have sub 1/4" bits, as I can't always drill accurately with an egg beater or electric drill the way I can with a bit brace.

The spoon bits are wonderful for reaming out and enlarging holes -- something you can't do with auger bits! They're also simple to sharpen, and unlikely to be ruined in the way that vintage auger bits often are (if they were overly worn or sharpened incorrectly).

Now I am curious of other styles of bits too, such as those old center bits that were popular before augers (looking a bit like a modern paddle bit, but more refined). These look quite useful and I was wondering if anyone has experience with them.

There also seem to be twist bits for augers. A half inch one came with mine.

I can't justify buying any more bits for now, but I'm certainly tempted...

Blog Entries
    Luke, buy them as you need them. Unless of course you run into a good deal at an estate or yard sale.

There are many different bits to use in your brace:

Assortment.jpg

There are more than this. Chair makers like spoon bit because they can be steered. They can also be used to enlarge the bottom of holes for fox wedging.

Forstner bits for use in a brace are even harder to find in the wild.

In the image between the large center bit and the countersinks are two odd bits. One is tapered and the other is like a spoon bit without the spoon end. It cuts a nice hole.

Notice the center bits, these were made for use in a bit stock, a pre-runner to the brace. Some braces can handle them and some can not. The fatter the tang on the center bit the more difficulty many braces will have with them.

Note the angle on the twist bits, 60º if my memory is working. Many found have been sharpened to an angle more suitable to drilling metal. The wider angle bits will work in wood better than the narrow angle bits will work in wood. If your going to be drilling metal, you might want to sharpen to the wider angle or have multiple sets of bits.

Can you post an image of your gimlets?

My resistance to purchasing gimlets is a bit low:

Various Gimlets.jpg

The hand drive models seem to have more screw like threads than the ones made for a brace.

For me the gimlets are easier to use in a straight handle than a brace:

Another Gemlet Image.jpg

This was a shop adaptation using a chuck salvaged from an old brace.

For spoon bits, the larger sizes can be hard to come by. There are some currently being made. Try > https://toolsforworkingwood.com/store/item/GT-SB.XX < They show all sizes, 3/8 to 1" currently in stock. Lee Valley is showing all but two sizes "No Longer Available" as opposed to "Currently out of stock expected… whenever."

Reamers and countersinks can be handy for some work. Countersinks especially when using flat head screws.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)