Since I began hand tool woodworking, I had only ever used auger bits in my brace.

However, the brace I bought on ebay came with a bunch of bits, including some smaller diameter spoon bits! And also some non-threaded twist gimlet style bits. I like both a lot.

The gimlet style bits in the smaller diameters are great for drilling small diameter pilot holes for screws and nails (I think I have a 1/16" and a 1/8" in this size), and it's great to have sub 1/4" bits, as I can't always drill accurately with an egg beater or electric drill the way I can with a bit brace.

The spoon bits are wonderful for reaming out and enlarging holes -- something you can't do with auger bits! They're also simple to sharpen, and unlikely to be ruined in the way that vintage auger bits often are (if they were overly worn or sharpened incorrectly).

Now I am curious of other styles of bits too, such as those old center bits that were popular before augers (looking a bit like a modern paddle bit, but more refined). These look quite useful and I was wondering if anyone has experience with them.

There also seem to be twist bits for augers. A half inch one came with mine.

I can't justify buying any more bits for now, but I'm certainly tempted...