Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 boxes, a build along story

2 boxes, a build along story

I have a pair Craftsman/Sargent #79s..
    Next Box Project, need about this much.JPG
    And rather than having these 2 sitting out on a shelf, somewhere, I thought it would be nice to build a box/case to store them in...after all, my Stanley/Ward's #78 has such a case.

So..Lowes sell "Project" lumber....Poplar, Oak, or Pine. Picked up 3 boards..
    Next Box project, project boards.JPG
    Next Box project, label on boards.JPG
    I figured 1/2" would be a little better to work with, than the 3/4" stuff....
    Took them down to the shop, yesterday...along with a full Laundry Hamper...and set to work...for about the next 2 hours. I was also waiting around on the clothes washer to get done, and then transfer the load to the dryer....Laundry Detail, again ( almost like being on K.P. ?)

Did a wee bit of layout..

Plan was to get one long side and an end per board (2) and save the remaining length for a panel for the lid. Was not planning on using the tablesaw, except as an assembly table, crosscuts were with...
    Next Box Project, mitersaw.JPG
    My Mitersaw. The cordless one. Because, a 90 degree cut on this saw IS
    Next Box Project, right off the saw.JPG
    Square right off the saw...and, it did not take all that long to cut the 4 sides..
    Next Box Project, 4 cuts later.JPG
    I found some pine plywood to use as a bottom for the box...needed to cut to size, though...
    Next Box Project, plywood bottom.JPG
    Hmm...will need that tablesaw, after all....
    End of Part one....stay tuned...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by steven c newman; 11-21-2021 at 11:46 AM.
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

See if this photo thing is fixed, yet. Got the plywood cut for the bottom panel..
    Next Box Project, cut to size.JPG
    Couple of items didn't look quite right....grabbed one of the planes, and took a better look...
    Next Box Project, too tall.JPG
    One, it will be a bit tough to get both planes in there..( missed by that much, Chief?) and two, box is way too deep...like Grand Canyon deep...solution...Rip the 4 sides in half, height wise...
    Next Box Project, enough for 2.JPG
    So...now I get to build TWO boxes. Rounded up the usual suspects to do finger joint corners with, too

Now about those 2 cut-offs for a panel for the top lid?
    Next Box Preject, lid blank.JPG
    Used one of the ends of the boxes-to-be, laid it down on these 2 boards, after I had sort for best grain match...Centered the two under the end piece, marked things out...ripped the "extras" off. Needed to joint the edges for a glue up...
    Next Box Project, joint the glue line.JPG
    Then some glue, a few cauls and a few clamps later...
    Next Box Project, panel for a lid.JPG
    And let this sit a day or two....by then, I should know what size to trim it to. After the sides get their "groove-thing" done.

First off...need to make 8 corners like this...
    Next Box Project, test fit, corner 1.JPG
    Stay tuned, for Part 3.....

Ok...marking gauge set to the thickness of the boards (1/2")...mark the ends of the boards
    Next Box Project, marking gauge lines.JPG
    Then darken the lines with a pencil...Use a 6 mm chisel, to set the spacings...
    Next Box Project, laying out spaces.JPG
    Yes, I am marking up 2 sides at once...also mark which will be the waste ..then a square to carry the lines down and around..
    Next Box Project, carry the lines around.JPG
    Then set one side aside, for now....drop the other side low in the vise, and doing a bit of sawdust making..
    Next Box Project, saw the lines.JPG
    Then figure which will be the inside face...and mark it that way. flip it over, knife a line (Baseline?)
    Next Box Project, knife the line.JPG
    same chisel to chop 1/2 way down, leave a small porch out on the end..
    Next Box Project, half chop.JPG
    To support the waste. Flip over and finish the chop on the inside face..
    Next Box Project, finished.JPG
    Then select an end to place against these fingers, trace around the fingers, mark the waste, and saw on the waste side of the lines....then knife, and chop just like the long side..
    Next Box Project, test fit, corner 1.JPG
    And a test fit....not too hateful

Worked a little over an hour today,,,and got 3 more corners made...
    Stay tuned for Part 4

Ok..worked for maybe and hour yesterday (Sunday) and actually got the other 3 corners done.....figured it took me about 15 minutes per corner.
    Some details:
    New Box Project, corner #2 fingers.JPG
    This is from corner #2, as marked...then..
    New Box Project, trace the fingers.JPG
    I use a sharp pencil to trace around each finger, onto the matching half...
    New Box Project, laid out #2.JPG
    And then finish the layout from there, with the combo square..
    Knife the baseline, saw on the waste side of the lines, trying to leave the line....from the outside face, I chop down about half way ( to prevent any blowouts) flip the board over and complete the chops..test fit?
    New Box Project, Corners 1 &2 done.JPG
    Corners #1 and #2. Yes, I label on the inside faces...what is the corner number, which is the top or bottom, and a BIG "IN" to show this IS the inside...rinse and repeat ( was taking a bit longer, due to the picture taking...)
    New Box Project, Corner #3 done.JPG
    Corner #3 done...nice fit, when I need a mallet...reset and start on #4...
    New Box Project, 4 corners done.JPG
    It even came out square...imagine that....Hammer assist as needed.

Next Laundry Detail? Need to fit a plywood panel into that bottom....may just set it into a rebate.....glue and nails? Need to size the lid's Pine panel, as it will fit into a groove....Shaker flat panel style....

Then a glue up...then saw the lid off....won't be a dust seal, this time...unless I add separate pieces....hmmm, maybe..

Box #2? Finger joints, or through dovetails?

I think I MIGHT have just the plane to plough the rebates....might as well let it help build it's new home.

Stay tuned...

Plywood bottom has been squared up and cut to size..
    New Box Project, panel for the bottom.JPG
    Plane in the tool well? Craftsman #79....set up and ready to go....need to mill a rebate.

Stay tuned....

Basically, I took the day off from the shop, today...hope nobody minds...

Maybe tomorrow morning, I can mill a few rebates...not too worried about being "through" rebates at the corners...intend to plug them, anyway.. Maybe a square of Rosewood, to set them off?

usual suspects..
    New Box Project, rebates, usual suspects.JPG
    Turned out, didn't need the woodie...both of the #79s did the work...
    New Box Project, rebates, used both.JPG
    The one with the fence and depth stop cut the rebate....the one without was used as a shoulder plane...had a few places to fix...
    New Box Project,rebates, almost there.JPG
    Like that "bump-out"....was able to get all these rebates done..
    New Box Project, rebates, all 4done.JPG
    Goal being that the plywood panel would nestle down flush..
    New Box Project, rebates, bottom does fit.JPG

So..tried out the clamps, to get a few ready for the glue-up...
    New Box Project, rebates, setting up clamps.JPG
    Will need the same amount of clamps for the top, too...equalize the pressure between the top and bottom.

Will a plane fit IN this box?
    New Box Project, rebates, plane fits.JPG
    Yes, one will indeed...but...not both....so there will be TWO boxes built....one at a time...

Next up? Panel for the lid needs trimmed to size...and then more work for the #79s...

Stay tuned..

Panel came out of the clamps, today..
    New Box Project, rebates, lid blank, before.JPG
    Needing a bit of a trim...both in length and in width...
    New Box Project, rebates, Lid blank after.JPG
    And the "after". Need to cut rebates all around, as this will fit into a groove...supposed to be flush with the top edge of the lid's frame. Was unable to rotate the spur..we have ways...knife a line a few times, just like a spur would..wasn't quite deep enough, so..
    New Box Project, rebates, deepen a knife line.JPG
    Backsaw to take it to right right depth...goal was to leave just enough to match the #12 cutter from the Stanley 45...
    New Box Project, rebates, needs to match.JPG
    Since that will be cutting the groove this panel will sit in...
    New Box Project, rebates, all done, lid.JPG
    Doing the end grain first, then clean up the corners when I do the long grain sides...decided to see IF it will fit the box..
    New Box Project, rebates, lid will fit..JPG
    Set it upside down in the clamped up box...once the grooves are milled, I'll flip this over, and into the grooves...

I did get the Stanley 45 all set up and ready to go...
    New Box Project, Grooves, 45 set up.JPG
    Had to use the Micro-adjust fence to get things just right...
    New Box Project, Grooves, cutter set up.JPG
    Which will be the next time I get to the shop...

Goal is to glue the box together, then after the glue has cured, saw the lid off....may glue a few "keepers" to the floor of the box...to keep the plane from banging around inside....May drill a few holes to store extra parts in, too....we'll see

Stay tuned..

Got to go unload the car in a bit, then I'll see about ploughing a few grooves. "Plan" being that while Box #1 is sitting in the clamps all glued up...I can get a start on Box #2....Through Dovetail corners....may just dress #2 up a bit. Plain #1 for the Shoulder Plane 79, Fancy #2 for the rebate 79.....with all it's extra parts...

Stay tuned, Lunch is over, about time to go out in the snow (YUCK) and unload the car...

No shop time today...was still dealing with BP spikes all day....went to the ER to get checked out...turns out I was missing one pill in my Hobbit 1st Breakfast....Back on schedule tomorrow...THEN see about ploughing a few grooves, and maybe even a glue up? Could be...

Proper Pills taken...for Breakfast. TWO glue-ups done....grooves milled, dry fits(3) done....Forest of cauls and clamps...

Film @ 2300 hrs ( or, after the ball games..)

Stay tuned

Well, it IS 11 o'clock somewhere...

to mill the grooves for the lid's panel to sit in...I need to set up a "jig" of sorts..
    Box #1, Groove Jig.JPG
    A block round back, to keep things at the front edge of the bench...2 screws to lock things in place, fore and aft...Make sure the part says "IN" on it, and the edge I want a groove in says "T"..Stanley 45 is all set and ready to go to work..
    Box #1, Groove machine, short end.JPG
    Need to clear the shavings a little bit..was soon done..
    Box #1, End groove done.JPG
    Doing the 2 end parts first....did a dry fit with the panel...
    Box #1, Dry Fit 1.JPG
    to make sure the groove was deep enough ( of the 4 grooves, had one that wasn't)

Reset the jig for the long sides..
    Box #1, Long sides grooved.JPG
    Shavings kind of Blossomed up...more dry fits...
    Box #1, Dry Fit 2.JPG
    3 out of 4 done...soon was able to spread some glue about...needed some helpers..
    Box #1, glue up tools.JPG
    Cup of water with a chip/acid brush...mallet to help move things together...and a Forest of Clamps...
    Box #1, Forest of Clamps.JPG
    Pine panel is NOT glued in place, as it sits in the grooves. Plywood panel did get glued in place. Both panels are square, helped to keep the box squared up. I also remembered to mark where to slice off the lid, once the glue has sat a day...or two...

Also used the pine panel to rough size a panel for Box #2...happen to have a cut-off from the last panel...
    Stay tuned for Part 2..

Laundry Detail..quilt/blankets are about done...to kill a bit of time until they are..
    Box #2, parts for lid panel.JPG
    Parts for the lid's panel..try to match for best grain...came close....lucked out, as both edges are "Factory"...no need to joint them..
    Box #2, Grain matching.JPG
    Close enough to spread a bead of glue, and some cauls and clamps...
    Box #2, panel glued up.JPG
    bench vise as a 3rd hand helps. Let this hang around, a day or two..meanwhile, back at the "Ranch".....
    Box #2, ready to start.JPG
    Sides and bottom for Box #2...have since set that bevel gauge for Dovetail work....as soon as that thing IN my bench vise leaves....

Was a busy day ( Dryer is almost done, have a second load to do, Wash & Dry, today)
    Box #1, Busy,busy,busy.JPG
    "Busy, busy...BUSY"

Stay tuned...

Not sure what will get done today....Box#1 needs it's lid sawn off.....Box#2 needs dovetails made....Pine panel needs to come out of the clamps, as does Box #1....need to free up some space on the bench to sit down and work. Box #1 will need to be cleaned up from the glue up, BEFORE the lid can come off...easier to hold the box still, and make sure box and lid match...

Hmmm....stay tuned...

This MIGHT take a few posts...due to that 8 photo limit...we'll see how this goes...Clamps came off the pine panel, first this evening...because I need to use the vise..
    Box #2, out of the clamps.JPG
    Has a few issues...we have ways..
    Box #2, cleaning up, inside of lid.JPG
    Working across the top...glue line, and a divot...Good thing...I can choose which face looks the best and have that as the outside/show side. Set this aside once done..

Box #1, clean up sides.JPG
    Box #1, right out of the clamps...fingers needed leveled. Yes, I will plug those square holes, later....need the sides cleaned up, and..
    Box #1, leveled the lid.JPG
    Sides of the lid were a tad taller than the panel...Planed everything level...set up the rip fence AND the Zero Clearance Overlay....needed to just split a line..
    Box #1, set to cut lid.JPG
    Run the box through on all 4 sides...trying to keep it as close to 90 degrees vertical as I could....still had issues..
    Box #1, lid is split. trouble spots.JPG
    Right at the corners...Opened the lid, to see what happened..
    Box #1, open lid, trouble spots.JPG
    Hmm...we can fix that...used the Millers Falls No. 9, Type 4...where I could..however, I needed a longer reach in some spots..
    Box #1, leveling the lid.JPG
    Part 2 coming up...