Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Looking to move out of New York City

In a few years I think internet isn't going to be a concern. Between Musk and Amazon's satellite internet service the only issue will be the cost.

Moved from Westchester to Boston to Dayton to Tampa Bay. Each had its advantages and disadvantages.

Being a native New Yorker, with lots of family still there, I can tell you I would never move back there. Taxes are way too high, and going higher, too much traffic, and idiots running things. And you couldn't pay me to go on the subway anymore, which I used to do all the time.

You could live like a king in some places in the Midwest, but real lack of culture and snow can be a drag.

Florida has decent weather about half of the year, the other half really hot and humid. Property taxes are high, but not like NY or NJ, but no state income tax, and cost of living much lower here. Decent culture, and we do have the Super Bowl Champions (Yeah Tom!!!!) Space to build a workshop is a possibility, certainly in the suburbs, but harder in densely populated Pinellas County on the water.

But way too many New Yorkers here. Far, far worse on the East Coast. Nobody remembered to close the gate after they came. So don't move down here.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

lack of culture
    Up front, I must say that folks in rural areas have wonderful culture (I grew up there), but I think the word here is referring more to the breath of things like theater, the arts, museums, big sports, etc., that are endemic to the urban areas. This can be a big conundrum for folks who want to leave an area that's rich in many cultural pursuits...going "full rural" unless there will be a lot of vacation travel can be a challenge for people actively involved in things that are naturally stronger in the urban environment. A good compromise is a suburban/surrounding area of a smaller city...access to arts, sports, etc., nearby, but a decidedly different living environment from the "big city". This is kinda, sorta why I really like where we live, although it is close to a more major city. We have the benefits of both quieter living and immediate access to "the stuff". If I had to move somewhere else, I'd still try to seek that balance of opportunity.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I lived in Arlington VA for 25 yrs. Just a part of the huge urban sprawl that is DC. Moved to a small farm in central PA, 24 yrs ago, while kids were still small. They were able to have horses ponies, pets, play in the woods etc. I grew up hunting and got to do that again. But now this area is growing too much and seems a suburb of Baltimore. We are looking to move south a few hundred miles to a more rural area with a slightly warmer climate. We both like some of the "backwater" parts of coastal Virginia, though even that is disappearing fast. My inlaws live in Myrtle Beach and it is even worse than Arlington, VA when it comes to suburban sprawl. I don't play golf, I like to still hunt and fish a little, tinker in my work shop. for the most parts, the HOA's there are ruthless when it comes to those with more extraordinary hobbies. I couldn't stand living there. If I want to bring home a log and cut it up for turning blanks, the neighbors can "kiss my grits".

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My impression after visiting La Jolla, San Diego, CA, a norther part of San Diego was if you don't like the weather just wait a few minutes.
    Huh. You must have hit it on a rather odd day, weather-wise. Being a SoCal beach town, the weather is pretty stable about 350 days a year.

But your statement reminded me of a business trip I had to Vancouver in February many years ago: I like the concept of "four seasons" as much as the next person, but preferably not all four in the same freakin' day.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I think that there is some accuracy to that demographic observation, and it's about Urban/Suburban vs Rural as you note, and there are certainly other urban/suburban areas that are smaller than Pittsburgh and Philadelphia that reflect similar differences. PA isn't unique in this, either. Quite a few states, especially in "middle America" have one or two major urban centers with the remainder more rural. The OP's current state of NY is a good example as is NJ for the same thing. In the end, a relocation decision really does have to take into account not just things like climate and cost of living, but also that "interpersonal fit". There are a lot of places I wouldn't consider moving to (not that I have any intention of moving from this great area) because I wouldn't feel comfortable as an individual in society.
    PA is not just 3 zones (Phila, Pburgh, rural)as you address Jim. There is a blending of urban, suburban and rural in a continuum as I am sure there is in many states. Seeing my Parents grow old and pass, and the medical challenges they faced, living rural without a supporting cast of family and friends would be difficult at best.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Citerone View Post
    PA is not just 3 zones (Phila, Pburgh, rural)as you address Jim. There is a blending of urban, suburban and rural in a continuum as I am sure there is in many states. Seeing my Parents grow old and pass, and the medical challenges they faced, living rural without a supporting cast of family and friends would be difficult at best.
    Yes, that's true...I've never lived in another state...always Pennsyltucky for nearly 65 years now and I've visited a healthy portion of it over the years. I grew up in NE PA, spent four years smack in the middle of the state at school and have been in SE PA/Bucks County since. The original statement is clearly an oversimplification and has generated some some good discussion.
    --

So, I grew up in Northern California. Joined the military at 18. Spent 3 years in Germany, 1year in Montana. Went to work in the Government, moved across the country a couple of times. Ended up in Los Angeles in 2000. Moved to Northern Kentucky in 2006. I live about 25 miles north of Louisville in a small town of about 10,000. Louisville is the largest city in Kentucky and the 16th (or so) largest city in the country. It’s got big city crime, but also a very busy restaurant scene. A lot of local attractions and is pretty central to traveling in any compass direction. 3 hours to Nashville or Indy. 8 hours to DC, Baltimore etc. It takes me 25 minutes to travel my 23 miles in rush hour. Everybody is super polite. People look you in the eye when you walk by and say hello. Everything is cheaper. My friends from CT and PA couldn’t believe that I pay 200 dollars or less a month for my utilities. 1% property taxes. What I gave up leaving So Cal, the state I was born and raised in, was breathing room financial and a pace much more conducive to the lifestyle I wanted to live. It just depends on what you are looking for and what you can live without. After I moved here, my parents sold their house (after visiting us) in No Cal and moved next door. My MIL moved here also. What I loved about Los Angeles was nice, but I haven’t regretted moving for even a second.

Tood, it sounds like you settled on what I consider an ideal situation...close to the city for what it brings to the table, but far enough away that you can have some peace!

We've chosen not to relocate to another area going forward because of family reasons, but there will always be great appeal from certain destinations that have attractive things, both financially and culturally.
    --

Blog Entries
    There’s an old saying that you move someplace for the climate and what you get is weather. You could find the perfect type of location but it really depends on the people. A sub optimal location might be your dream destination if you find some close friends.

For myself,
    — I would want a nearby maker space. I live near NOVA labs, a DC area maker space. I have access to two 100 watt laser engravers and a 4’x8’ Shopbot.
    — If I could choose, I would like a cooler climate. Someplace near Jim Becker seems about right.

I grew up in Kansas and moved to Virginia 6 years ago. Were it not for family, The DC area would not have made the list. Falls Church climate is about the same as Kansas but add 20% humidity. Yuck! But I do like the eastern seaboard. There’s so much history and things to do here.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    — If I could choose, I would like a cooler climate. Someplace near Jim Becker seems about right..
    I have to chuckle about this...the climate here is pretty much no different to the DC area. Hot and humid in the summer and generally mild in the winter, but that is, of course, variable. You'd have to go much further north for your goal and even then, summers have gotten pretty darn hot.

No makerspace, but I do have a very nice property with a large shop available if you want to move here now, however. LOL
    --

Blog Entries
    Snow blowers are just plain fun. I have a 44” two stage blower attachment on my John Deere lawn tractor. That bad boy can send the snow over 20 feet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Clark Hussey View Post
    Nice area! You can go a little farther north and get a lot more for your dollar. The best part about Hudson is easy access to Ghent Wood Products. https://ghentwoodproducts.com/
    Clark, you made a great point. Nearby access to woodworking equipment and supplies and lumber. Last summer, I drove from DC to Austin TX to visit my brother. On the way back, I swung by Charm OH to visit Keim lumber based on a suggestion from the Creek. Keim was great and I thought the prices were wonderful. But the drive by all those tidy Amish farms was really something. I kept thing that I would sure like those folks for neighbors. But would I feel the same way if I moved there? What I fell in love with was the idea of living in Amish country. Maybe the reality isn’t so rosy.
    Last edited by Roger Feeley; 11-26-2021 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Tood, it sounds like you settled on what I consider an ideal situation...close to the city for what it brings to the table, but far enough away that you can have some peace! …
    I think that’s an important consideration. I know people who live on isolated rural property and have to drive an hour to get to stores and services.

When looking for farm property around here the prices were lower further from “civilization”. The 27 acres we found is on a quiet dead-end rural road with woods on and bordering the property, but only 5-8 minutes from drug, grocery, auto parts and hardware stores, law enforcement, farmers co-op and the county seat, 11 minutes from an exit on I-75, 18-20 minutes from two hospitals and Lowes&Home Depot, and 30 minutes from the city of Knoxville where we can find anything.

It doesn't get much better than that, John.
    --