Thread: Laguna PX20 Planer Review/Experience? Better brand?

Laguna PX20 Planer Review/Experience? Better brand?

I currently have a 5hp Powermatic 16” (pm160). It’s I think from the 70s. I’ve added a new single phase motor.

Blade changes and adjustments can be tough. I also find needing 2-3” inches more in bed width.

I think I can sell my powermatic for $3000.

A used Laguna PX20 is available locally for $4500 which is about $1500 off new.

Is there a better 20” spiral planer in the $4k range?

Well, if going on price, there is the Grizzly 1033X for $4k + freight / tax. The Laguna only weighs 535# vs the Grizzly being nearly 1000#. I have a late 70s era 20” italian planer that weighs ~1500 and is on a shop made mobile base with steel wheels and I am glad for that mass and weight in a planer. The Laguna seems very light duty to me, but I don’t really know.

They both have 3” diameter carbide heads - Grizzly is helical and Laguna doesn’t specify that I saw. The DRO on the Laguna says it’s a Wixey, which is maybe $100 aftermarket expense on any other planer new or old.

When you say adjustments are tough, what are you referring to? How are you setting your knives currently? There are methods and aids that can make this pretty straightforward.

I think most will tell you that going from an older U.S.A. built Powermatic to a new Taiwanese machine is a downgrade in overall quality, but the newer machines with carbide heads may be a simpler and easier choice for folks who don’t want to have to be more in touch with dialing the machine in and the experience and approach that it requires.

If I were to do it all over again or ever get the itch to upgrade, I would look for a 20-24” euro made machine with a Tersa cutterhead, but you may or may not have the electrical requirements to power such a machine.
    Still waters run deep.

I have the same PM 160 planer as you, with an onboard grinder. I paid $1600 for it in good condition. If you do get $3,000 for yours I would like to know about it.

I have a 10* face bevel on my knives and get decent results on figured woods, but my impression is that spiral heads typically are a bit better on tearout as well as much quieter. I am a little surprised at the small diameter of the heads on the Grizzly and Laguna machines, also the 4" (Laguna) and 5" (Grizzly) dust ports. I have to assume they work, and you would have a chance to assess that and everything else on the used Laguna. The proprietary carbide inserts on the Laguna could potentially be an issue down the line- you might want to stock up on them just in case. Weight isn't everything but the Laguna is half the weight of your PM160.

Jet and Powermatic offer 20" planers that look very similar to the Grizzly.

I have worked with an 80s era SCM S520 20" planer with knife grinder. It was a very capable machine, in fact it is still in service. One nice though not essential feature is a powered table rise/fall. If you could find one of those or one with a Tersa head for under $5k and had the means to power it you wouldn't go too far wrong.

If you do decide to stick with your present machine you might consider running carbide straight knives, possibly with a face bevel. I have them in my 16" jointer and they go at least 4 times as long between sharpenings as hss.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 12-05-2021 at 9:19 AM.

Thanks for the replies.

Part of my desire to sell is to upgrade to 20” wide and a spiral type head. I have an 8” spiral jointer and it’s great.

Also, I’ve adjusted my pm160 but getting snipe and sometimes it takes chunks out of wood.

I’ve made some dial indicator jigs and can adjust it BUT when ever I change blades I have to do that all over again.

The weight of laguna is a concern. It’s half my current pm160.

Southbend has a nice 20” spiral but it’s $5200.