Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats the Catch?

I just keep looking up at the sky wondering which of those clouds is full of photos and when they are going to start raining down. Or maybe we will start getting hosed with photos..... As I recall Apple users are steered towards Google Photos to store their photos in the cloud. It still gives immediate access to everything but frees device storage up.

Apple users are steered toward iCloud, not the Google competitor. But as an Apple user, I actually use competitor Microsoft for cloud storage of files including photos because I have an Office 365 subscription that includes that storage at no extra charge. iCloud doesn't get my photos, but does get all the stuff I want to sync between my devices...messages, calendar, notes, etc. I did try the Google storage for awhile, but I prefer the interface on what I'm using now.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-22-2021 at 8:36 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    I just keep looking up at the sky wondering which of those clouds is full of photos and when they are going to start raining down. Or maybe we will start getting hosed with photos..... As I recall Apple users are steered towards Google Photos to store their photos in the cloud. It still gives immediate access to everything but frees device storage up.
    When 'The Cloud' became a 'thing', I always laughed when passing the office area of our IT folks - - with a big sign on the wall: "The Cloud is just someone else's computer." (I think everyone has this figured out by now.)

For the privacy and archival worriers, you can get a 'box of drives' - i.e. Dell offers 12TB RAID 1 configured external storage for ~$500(?)(last time I looked). I think they even call it "My Cloud" - - you own it, plug it in/on your network & property, and you control who/how you or anyone else accesses it from the web (or not). Certainly more expensive than a thumb drive, but it does give some insurance against a HD crash, and its as private as you want to make it.

Probably archaic now, but I setup similar device with 2x 1TB drives several years ago to store SWMBO's research work at home. It was a lot less than $500 - even then. (I'll let the IT wizards tell y'all about RAID levels.)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Apple users are steered toward iCloud, not the Google competitor. But as an Apple user, I actually use competitor Microsoft for cloud storage of files including photos because I have an Office 365 subscription that includes that storage at no extra charge. iCloud doesn't get my photos, but does get all the stuff I want to sync between my devices...messages, calendar, notes, etc. I did try the Google storage for awhile, but I prefer the interface on what I'm using now.
    By Apple yes but if you do a search places like CNet recommend google cloud as the preferred option. They have it set up so it works great as well. For some people Apples plan to scan everyone's photos for inappropriate or even illegal child photos it will steer some away. I think this includes looking for photos that may include missing children. I don't want to get into a debate about that because it doesn't bother me that they are doing this for kids. My only thought is where does this stop? What will the next thing be? If you take photos of firearms will you be singled out? I guess that remains to be seen. It also flows against the Apple claim of protecting your privacy at all costs. Just thinking out loud here. No axe to grind.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    I'm guessing host ...
    Yep

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Maybe something is missing in my life. Candy has an iPad and does store things in the cloud. This makes it easy to recover everything when it eventually dies.

For me, my computer has a terabyte of storage. After five years it is using less than 20% of that. Maybe if more full length feature movies were stored or something it would get close to full.

In looking for a new external back up drive it seems the smallest you can find is 1TB.

During my early days in the computing world we had a large drive in our shop, about 3X4X6". We called it the bomber because when it was running it hummed like the bombers in WWII movies. It was a whole 5 megabytes of storage.

Soon there will likely be a court case involving the serving of warrants on cloud based storage if there hasn't already been such a case.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That's actually a good question and something that should be planned for if the cloud is the only place the photos are stored.
    I think I got a note from Google recently about designating a person who will be able to access anything "Google" of mine after my death. I assume Amazon has the same thing.

Companies have responded to news reports of parents who cannot access the digital accounts of a deceased child (for example).

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    One thing I wasn't able to determine (without actually trying it) was what constitutes a "photo" in this context. Full-resolution, yes, but JPEG only, or do other formats qualify? The vast majority of my storage space for "photos" is RAW and PSD (Photoshop) files: without those, any cloud storage is useless.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custo...U2SU8Y22DZYRMQ

RAW files are supported.
    I actually did not know that. This makes it more useful.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Amazon is cranking up their advertizing business, ala Google. You store your photos on their service, they scan the photos and build a profile of you, and then they tailor their advertizing to your life experience. They 'll make 100x, probably more, on their investment to store your stuff.

And if you kick the bucket without properly documenting ownership of digital assets in your will, they may be lost to your family forever.

I assumed Amazon won't access file contents, so checked the privacy policy. They DO have access. I was excited seeing the raw file support and was planning to switch. I will stick with S3 based backups.

3.3 Our Use of Your Files. We may use, access, and retain Your Files in order to provide the Services to you, enforce the terms of the Agreement, and improve our services, and you give us all permissions we need to do so. These permissions include, for example, the rights to copy Your Files, modify Your Files to enable access in different formats, use information about Your Files to organize them on your behalf, and access Your Files to provide technical support. Amazon respects your privacy and Your Files are subject to the Amazon.com Privacy Notice located here.

Disclaimer: I work at AWS/EC2. I use S3 and other services as customer. Any view is personal.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    In looking for a new external back up drive it seems the smallest you can find is 1TB.
    I've given away larger disks than that.

At this point, 1TB costs maybe $50 for name-brand, but it gets cheaper as you ramp up the size: Costco has 8TB Seagates for $120, or $15/TB.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Blue View Post
    For some people Apples plan to scan everyone's photos for inappropriate or even illegal child photos it will steer some away.
    I believe that idea was dropped a while ago...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bill godber;[URL="tel:3156470"
    3156470[/URL]]They not only know your shopping and viewing habits now they have pictures of you.I don't understand the need for the online storage With the price of memory sticks so cheap why not leave yourself a little privacy and keep them at home?
    Ding, ding,ding.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I believe that idea was dropped a while ago...
    Actually they are only delaying it but it's still going to happen just not this year from what I've read. More tweaking of the plan or something like that. Delayed or paused it doesn't sound like it's dead just not happening immediately. I personally don't care what they do.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/09/03/appl...on-images.html

https://www.wired.com/story/apple-ic...ause-backlash/

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    Photo sticks mess up hard drives crash, SD cards fail. I've lost irreplaceable photos on sd card and hard drives, never lost anything on the cloud as of Yet LOL . Sure I guess it can happen but not likely with all the back up systems and security they have.
    Still wondering what amazon gets out of it.
    Physical devices DO fail. They're also tiny and cheap, keep several copies. At least one copy off site in case of fire/flood/theft. The biggest problem for me would be to keep copies somewhat up to date. Jim B. mentioned AWS. It's the biggest cloud provider in the world, bigger than Microsoft and Google. Supposedly that generates the majority of Amazon's net profit. They have acres and acres of computers and associated infrastructure, I'm sure they can find a miniscule corner for individuals' storage.