Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the Catch?

Whats the Catch?

With Prime Get a $15 Amazon credit and enjoy your unlimited photo storage in three easy steps.
    You'll receive your credit within seven days.
    There gonna give me 15 bucks to save my photos there WHY? There has to be a hidden agenda.I mean just the server space alone will cost them tons. So whats in it for Amazon.
    Is anyone doing this does it work ok ?
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

They not only know your shopping and viewing habits now they have pictures of you.I don't understand the need for the online storage With the price of memory sticks so cheap why not leave yourself a little privacy and keep them at home?

If your photos are at home you can't plaster the whole internet with them at ludicrous speed...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Photo sticks mess up hard drives crash, SD cards fail. I've lost irreplaceable photos on sd card and hard drives, never lost anything on the cloud as of Yet LOL . Sure I guess it can happen but not likely with all the back up systems and security they have.
    Still wondering what amazon gets out of it.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Bert Kemp View Post
    With Prime Get a $15 Amazon credit and enjoy your unlimited photo storage in three easy steps.
    You'll receive your credit within seven days.
    There gonna give me 15 bucks to save my photos there WHY? There has to be a hidden agenda.I mean just the server space alone will cost them tons. So whats in it for Amazon.
    Is anyone doing this does it work ok ?
    It's an incentive provided to get your future business.

Read the not so fine prints. Mail that I got says "...Offer only applies to an order over $30 of products and digital content sold by Amazon.ca...". Basically, you get $15 off on order above $30.

I got similar offer on first order in business account. Saved some me $75 on first order. I still don't use business account much but I do check if there is a volume discount. More importantly, I told someone else about the business account offering and he started using business account regularly. So by giving some $150 total credit Amazon acquired a regular Business customer.

Blog Entries
    Basically this cost amazon pennies to store your photos and if you use their printing service they make the money back pretty quickly if not they might charge for it sometime in the future once you become "addicted" to the service. Also it keeps you using and thinking of using amazon in the future.
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    - Carl Sagan

Amazon has been offering cloud storage for years...they are not just the "store"...and have one of the largest cloud computing environments going. They host a huge number of corporate computing environments in their AWS infrastructure (Amazon Web Services) and there is more than enough storage available for them to offer it to consumers for very reasonable cost.

Scott is correct that services like what Amazon is offering are good investments for the company because it really is hard to switch later, not only because of needing to move stuff, but because many folks use automated backup to the service and changing to a different vendor can be cumbersome because the apps are tied to the specific service.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-21-2021 at 7:05 PM. Reason: Fixed, um...a typo...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Prime isn't free.

Just a thought, but my family has hundreds of photos from multiple generations of extended family.

If all my images are in the cloud, what happens when my last day arrives?

There will be no drawer full of old snap shots or albums.

On a lighter side…

One dropped letter when typing can make something come out completely different.

They hose a huge number of corporate computing environments in their AWS infrastructure
    I'm guessing Jim meant to type house.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    They hose a huge number of corporate computing environments...
    My nominee for "Typo of the Week".
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

One thing I wasn't able to determine (without actually trying it) was what constitutes a "photo" in this context. Full-resolution, yes, but JPEG only, or do other formats qualify? The vast majority of my storage space for "photos" is RAW and PSD (Photoshop) files: without those, any cloud storage is useless.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Prime isn't free.

Just a thought, but my family has hundreds of photos from multiple generations of extended family.

On a lighter side…

One dropped letter when typing can make something come out completely different.

jtk

I'm guessing host ...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Amazon is cranking up their advertizing business, ala Google. You store your photos on their service, they scan the photos and build a profile of you, and then they tailor their advertizing to your life experience. They 'll make 100x, probably more, on their investment to store your stuff.

And if you kick the bucket without properly documenting ownership of digital assets in your will, they may be lost to your family forever.
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 11-21-2021 at 6:30 PM.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Prime isn't free.

On a lighter side…

jtk
    My guess would be Host oops I see Kev saaid that LOL
    Last edited by Bert Kemp; 11-21-2021 at 6:33 PM. Reason: Kev beat me
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    My nominee for "Typo of the Week".
    ROFLOL!

--

That's actually a good question and something that should be planned for if the cloud is the only place the photos are stored.
    --