Thread: No0b question: Shelf depth in base cabinets

No0b question: Shelf depth in base cabinets

What is the design preference/practice for shelf depth in base (bottom) cabinets? I seem to remember the middle (only) shelf not taking up the entire space (front to rear), allowing one to put say, a really tall blender on the bottom (floor) of the cabinet. And what is the reason for that practice? Sorry if dumb question, never done cabinets before, and my existing ones....aren't a good example to go by. Or let me be blunt: with the "off cuts" left over from cutting all my carcass parts, I can put in shelves in the base cabinets that don't fill front-rear, rather, they're 12-ish inches deep. Otherwise it's another day-long trip to find more plywood. These are for own use, but at some point I'll sell the house. No plans to do roll-outs or anything other than basic base cabinets. I didn't plan the cut lists that way, I'm just looking at this pile of off cuts and easily have all my shelf needs filled if it doesn't violate some "aesthetic" rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Colson View Post
    What is the design preference/practice for shelf depth in base (bottom) cabinets? I seem to remember the middle (only) shelf not taking up the entire space (front to rear), allowing one to put say, a really tall blender on the bottom (floor) of the cabinet. And what is the reason for that practice? Sorry if dumb question, never done cabinets before, and my existing ones....aren't a good example to go by. Or let me be blunt: with the "off cuts" left over from cutting all my carcass parts, I can put in shelves in the base cabinets that don't fill front-rear, rather, they're 12-ish inches deep. Otherwise it's another day-long trip to find more plywood. These are for own use, but at some point I'll sell the house. No plans to do roll-outs or anything other than basic base cabinets. I didn't plan the cut lists that way, I'm just looking at this pile of off cuts and easily have all my shelf needs filled if it doesn't violate some "aesthetic" rule.
    Its really just customer preference but the norm in my world is half shelves in bases unless otherwise specified. That said I almost never see shelves in base cabs anymore as the move has switched to roll out trays or drawers. I can probably count the shelved base cabs in the last 15 years on one hand but all of those were halfs. Pretty much anything that goes in the bottom of a base cab with a full shelf is either very large trays that take up the whole base or that stuff that is buried back in the depths of the cab is rarely/never used or should just be thrown away. Most people dont want to get down on their hands and knees to get something out of the back.

Who's preference are we talking about ?

My mother's? A European manufacturer ? The designer down at the Depot ? Yours ?

Mine is NO shelves. Drawers only. No rollout trays either.

Base unit shelves are pretty much passe now.

Since you've already got the doors made (right?), I suggest you do pull outs. You'll have to pad the drawer slides no big deal.

As Dave^ said, most base cabs now are drawer units. We converted all the pull outs to drawers, best mod we ever did to our kitchen.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Who's preference are we talking about ?

My mother's? A European manufacturer ? The designer down at the Depot ? Yours ?

Mine is NO shelves. Drawers only. No rollout trays either.
    I agree here with Dave...I personally eschew shelves in lowers and prefer just drawers, usually two taller and one short at the top. But if shelving is needed, it has to fit the purpose. The problem with shelving in lowers is that a human has to be able to actually reach whats on each shelf toward the back.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Per your post, no roll outs. And you have material for 12" shelves. We have had both and the full shelves are a little better for storing the stuff you use less than twice a year.

Put in drawer supports for both short and full shelves so you can convert easily. So if it is holes, make 4 sets of holes so you can add rather than replace. Makes it easier to get the shelves into the cabinet.

Now we have drawers. I think roll outs with doors are clunky since the doors get in the way.

Drawers wherever possible. I'm with all the others on this one. Lowers should always get drawers as default.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

The customer is "me". If someone buys the house later and has a different idea, they can hire a cabinet maker. Cost and space are an issue. I need to pack as many serving trays, blenders, mixers, and 3 foot tall stacks of Tupperware with no matching lids as possible into a "galley" kitchen. So I'm reading that upper shelf in the "lower" at 12" sounds like a good idea?

The shelf needs to be high enough that the heavier, potentially larger items can slide under it and yes, 12-14" is about right, depending on how much you want to hide under that shelf in the dark back of the cabinet.
    --

If budget allows, I'd try to figure out a way to incorporate some sort of pull-out shelving. Getting down on your hands and knees to access stuff in the back of the cabinet isn't bad if you're in your 20s or 30s. It's not good if you're in your 60s or 70s. I don't know your situation.

Curt, I agree...the pantry cabinet at our hold home was set up this way. But I'll have to agree with Thomas that he knows what his storage situation is and has determined that the shelf is the best for his needs, even though I personally would pick drawers.
    --