Thread: Diablo (Home Depot) 24T 6 1/2" blade. Decent or not?

Diablo (Home Depot) 24T 6 1/2" blade. Decent or not?

I picked up two double packs of these the other day by mistake.
    I thought they were the 40T 7 1/4" blades I usually use. The ad said they were 7 1/4" - but - all they had was 6 1/2".
    They were/are on a special sale for $12.88 per two pack ($6.44 ea.) - so - I grabbed two packs without really checking them out.

It wasn't until I got home that I found out my mistake.

I can always return them - or - I can keep them and use them.

My Makita track saw uses 6 1/2" blades I can use a shim so it moves the blade away from the splinter strip so that doesn't get chewed up and use these to straight line cut rough stock.

If anyone has any positive experiences with these particular blades, I'll probably keep them.
    I'm a big fan of the 40T 7 1/4" blades & if these are anything like those, they are probably good.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

I wouldn't use them on the track saw most likely...the 6.5" blades are generally pretty thin as they are often used in battery-powered circular saws like the HFT Bauer saw I own. I will say that more than one of the folks I follow on the 'Tube that do construction work swear by the Diablo blades, although clearly, there are different models.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

They likely have a 5/8 arbor hole rather than the 20mm most track saws use. I use them (as Jim mentioned) on my dewalt cordless and find them to be decent blades for construction and rough cutting general stock. But if the arbor size isn't what you need.....
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

It’s a decent blade for a cordless circ saw doing general carpentry work, but is probably not the right arbor bore for your track saw and also too thin kerf, IMO.
    Still waters run deep.

I forgot about the arbor. Thanks you for bringing that up.
    I guess I'll keep a pack and return a pack.

I'd return them both. They are under size for your circular saw and arbor is not right for the track saw.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

I might return both.
    I do have a cordless Makita circular saw other than the track saw.
    It's somewhere in the garage right now & I'm not sure what size it is - other than I know it's smaller than 7 1/4".

I use them on my battery powered 6-1/2" circular saw. They work great for general carpentry work. At that price they are true bargain.

John

Check your Makita track saw. I read somewhere that if you turn the inside arbor flange over, it has a 5/8 adaptor built in. The 6 1/2" is very close to what came with the saw also.

Not sure if there is enough difference with where the blade rides next to the rubber strip or not.

Worth checking before you return them. I wouldn't use them if it will cut the rubber strip, but if it is just a bit wide of it, I can think of a lot of uses where I am not that concerned.

Edit: Don't know for sure, but I remember now, I saw a you tube video on it.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I run the Diablo 24T blades on both my 6 1/2 and 7 1/4 circular saws. They're great blades but I also don't expect fine finish results from them - they're definitely for construction. I use the 6 1/2 cordless saw as well as my cordless jigsaw a ton to break down rough lumber before milling it up.

That said, while I don't have a track saw, I wouldn't put them on a track saw. They're not good enough blades for that tool, similar to why I don't run a framing blade on my tablesaw.

I do use a Diablo 60 tooth in my 7 1/2 in circular saw to break down plywood. Nice 1/16 in kerf too.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.