Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Anarchist workbench?

Sarcasm has its place but it is a blunt instrument. Why neglect dramatic irony, metaphor, bathos, puns, parody, litotes and satire? If all else fails, one can fall back on straight up mockery.
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 11-28-2021 at 8:03 PM.

Ah yes...another one of those "MY way or the Highway" sort of thing.....Looking a bit lonely out there on the old country gravel road....

" Lighten up...Francis"
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Man, I need some popcorn to go with this thread

FWIW, I'm normally pretty good at reading context / sarcasm. Not perfect, but usually pretty good.

Most of what Ed posted didn't come across as sarcasm. Mostly it just seemed dismissive and crotchety. That's his opinion, and his prerogative, but it didn't really surprise me when others responded in kind. And then things started circling the drain from there...

I think Steve said it best... "lighten up"

Blog Entries
    I think Steve said it best... "lighten up"
    Agree

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

5. Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Ah yes...another one of those "MY way or the Highway" sort of thing....

" Lighten up...Francis"
    Thats rich considering the source.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Hillestad View Post
    Thats rich considering the source.

LOLOLOLOLOL

And..maybe a photo of Jake's bench? Hmmm....

Still working my way up to something on par with bandits dungeon bench...

Welll...that IS what I used to build the current WORK bench ....over 7 years ago....except mine had a glass top. Kept all the tools I was using on the table......actual work table was a 2 x 12 finger clamped to the3rd step on a 6' Werner Step Ladder, although...I did have a saw bench out there, too..that I had made a couple weeks before.

Maybe try that stepladder trick? You can clamp a 2 x12 to the step(s) at whatever height you like. THEN you can clamp the work to that plank. If you are working outside, wear a hat...a sun-burnt bald head tends to hurt....oh, and sunscreen....?

PS...BTW, those sort of tables work best with all 4 legs on the patio....just a heads up...

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Hillestad View Post
    Still working my way up to something on par with bandits dungeon bench...

I'd be lying if I said I hadn't used similar or worse in a pinch. Ya make do with what you have to work with.

I'm surprised this thread doesn't include more opinion on the hybrid workbench that Marc Spagnuolo built to replace his Roubo. The electrical outlet on the front face of the left front leg of Spagnuolo's bench is inexplicable because that is the leg that is used most for clamping and there are plenty of other locations for an electrical outlet. I also don't understand why he mounted the face vise fully to the right side of the left front leg. The face vise should be mounted to the left of, or straddling, the left front leg (for a right handed woodworker) with a jaw liner that extends to the left edge of the bench and across the top of the left front leg. However, he did some clever things with the insert for the split top. Maybe Spagnuolo is the real workbench anarchist.

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    You find it comical that people feel passionate about their own opinion? You barely write a few sentences before you disregard everyone who disagrees with your opinion?
    " The Roubo is a very good bench design, regardless of what anyone says."
    I don't understand some people
    Work safe
    I did not find it comical that people have their own opinions. It’s just that the utter vehemence with which such negative opinions against a bench style and a particular person, with an aura of universal truth, by more than one individual – particularly when there were some contradictory and factually inaccurate statements – was to me, rather comical. Surely you aren’t criticizing the passion with which I find it comical, or disregarding it because you disagree with it. Because that would be ironic as heck. (<= SARCASM). The snarkiness of your last two lines, directed specifically at me, I think underscores my point.

Additionally, your very selective quote of me in your third line is taken ENTIRELY out of context because the entirety of my post clearly demonstrated that I am not disregarding people's personal bench preferences but rather, I was highlighting personal preferences, even amongst professionals, have always existed across a lot of different, and very good, bench designs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Holmes Anderson View Post
    I'm surprised this thread doesn't include more opinion on the hybrid workbench that Marc Spagnuolo built to replace his Roubo. The electrical outlet on the front face of the left front leg of Spagnuolo's bench is inexplicable because that is the leg that is used most for clamping and there are plenty of other locations for an electrical outlet. I also don't understand why he mounted the face vise fully to the right side of the left front leg. The face vise should be mounted to the left of, or straddling, the left front leg (for a right handed woodworker) with a jaw liner that extends to the left edge of the bench and across the top of the left front leg. However, he did some clever things with the insert for the split top. Maybe Spagnuolo is the real workbench anarchist.
    You may have answered your own curiosity, Marc Spagnuolo may be left handed.

BTW, well said Chris.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 11-30-2021 at 11:38 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

"Well, My name isn't Schwarz, I don't care for the Roubo design and I'm not a 16th century French woodworker, other than that, the bench is probably fine."

So I'm crotchety, uneducated and so on because some of you didn't understand sarcasm? Or is it that I have my own opinion that you disagree with? Or is it that I don't agree with everything Mr. Schwarz writes? Or maybe it's something else.
    The Illusory superiority from some members is quite scary. Everyone has their own opinion but sharing them is becoming more and more difficult due to the harsh reception you receive when you differ from the flock. Why would anyone want to share information and ideas when you get such hostility in return?
    I can only guess but there may be others that share a similar opinion to mine but don't need the grief that comes with expressing it, so they stay quiet instead.
    To sum it all up.
    I don't like the Roubo design
    I gave a perfectly valid reason for my opinion
    I provided a like to a design I prefer
    This is what gets everyone so upset?

I stand by the above quote

Mostly it's your attitude.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward Weber View Post
    "Well, My name isn't Schwarz, I don't care for the Roubo design and I'm not a 16th century French woodworker, other than that, the bench is probably fine."

So I'm crotchety, uneducated and so on because some of you didn't understand sarcasm? Or is it that I have my own opinion that you disagree with? Or is it that I don't agree with everything Mr. Schwarz writes? Or maybe it's something else.
    The Illusory superiority from some members is quite scary. Everyone has their own opinion but sharing them is becoming more and more difficult due to the harsh reception you receive when you differ from the flock. Why would anyone want to share information and ideas when you get such hostility in return?
    I can only guess but there may be others that share a similar opinion to mine but don't need the grief that comes with expressing it, so they stay quiet instead.
    To sum it all up.
    I don't like the Roubo design
    I gave a perfectly valid reason for my opinion
    I provided a like to a design I prefer
    This is what gets everyone so upset?

I stand by the above quote
    Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    Mostly it's your attitude.
    Have to agree with Mike. The first reply to your first post in this thread:

Have you read any of his books on workbenches? Throughout every one, he talks about finding the style of bench that works for you and I doubt that he would argue with any of your three design principals.
    Later you replied:

So, if at the end of the day, if he would agree with my design principles, I'll go my own way.
    With others posting evidence of Mr. Schwarz agreeing even advocating people finding what works best for their own needs. You seemed to accept you may have been barking up the wrong tree.

You seemed to take offense at Mr. Schwarz making a living out of his continuous making of benches and tool chests.

You also wrote:
    I also don't understand why I'm not a allowed to disagree.
    Could you refresh my memory as to who said you were not allowed to disagree?

Some corrected you on your misunderstaning.

BTW, the book in question was published in 2020:

Book Plate Page.png

There is a good chance it is quite different than the copy you read a dozen years ago.

Thinking back, if it came to my attention your posts were all sarcasm it could have saved a lot of time.

jtk