Thread: Shooting board question

Shooting board question

Hi folks, I have a quick question about Shooting board design.
    In general you have a base board that the plane rides on, a top board which acts like a fence for the plane and on which you place your stock, a 90° fence and a cleat. my question is about the top board.

the sole of my Low angle jack plane has 1/4" sides before you reach the cutting edge. To me this makes sense that the top board should be a hair above 1/4" thick - any less and the blade will begin above the workpiece you are trying to shoot, and any more and you are lessening the potential cut width.

The thing is, in all the plans I've seen online, they call for the top board to be around 1/2" thick (LN, LV).

I was wondering if there was a reason for that, something I wasn't getting

Thanks,
    Assaf

Assaf, I imagine that you will see more movement in a 1/4" board than a 1/2" board, but it will depend on the make up of the board and how well attached it is.

This is no doubt with a flat board. A ramped board will be supported at the sides and the hollow below means that there can be more vulnerability to movement. I built ramped boards out of 3/4" thick hardwood.

Rule of thumb, while all "works" ... flat board with a skew blade plane and and ramped board with a straight blade plane.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    Hi Assaf, different planes have various widths from the edge of the sole to the edge of the blade. In the past my boards have been made to accommodate any of my planes from a #60 block plane to a #8 jointer.

It is rare there is a need to shoot anything much larger than 1-1/2".

My current shooting board was made using a 1/2" piece of stock. The left side is set up specifically for the Veritas Shooting Plane. The right side should be able to handle any other plane chosen for the job.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

If the top board is thicker, the first time you use it the plane will remove material from the edge. The plane only registers on the little strip that the blade does not reach. So, there is no problem using 1/2” or thicker material.

If you have a plane with a 2” blade and use 1/2” stock for the shooting board, you can still use it for 6/4 stock. I’ve never used a shooting board for anything thicker than 4/4, so it does not seem to be a problem to me.

Blog Entries
    Another tip is to not glue a shooting board. Use screws to hold the top to the bottom. Also use screws to mount the fence and hook.

This will make it easier if adjustments are needed or if you want to rework the board at a later time.

If your board is going to mostly use one plane you might want to make a fence along the plane's path to keep the plane running straight.

Shooting Board Guide Rail.jpg

It can't be seen well in this image but the screws are in slots to allow for adjustment when the weather changes.

Finally the hook can have a slight angle to it so when it is locked in a vise it holds the board tight to the bench. Half to one degree should be fine if the vise and bench are square.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Another tip is to not glue a shooting board. Use screws to hold the top to the bottom. Also use screws to mount the fence and hook.

This will make it easier if adjustments are needed or if you want to rework the board at a later time.

If your board is going to mostly use one plane you might want to make a fence along the plane's path to keep the plane running straight.

Shooting Board Guide Rail.jpg

It can't be seen well in this image but the screws are in slots to allow for adjustment when the weather changes.

Finally the hook can have a slight angle to it so when it is locked in a vise it holds the board tight to the bench. Half to one degree should be fine if the vise and bench are square.

jtk
    Jim — So when you use the Veritas plane you are shooting left-handed?
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Jim — So when you use the Veritas plane you are shooting left-handed?
    Yes, my right shoulder suffered an injury many years ago. Besides that I am somewhat ambidextrous.

jtk

using screws is preferable to glue? Sold!
    will probably fix my issues with warping too

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Assaf Oppenheimer View Post
    using screws is preferable to glue? Sold!
    will probably fix my issues with warping too
    Screws are preferable to me. Others might have a different experience.

Screws allow for adjustments and disassembly, glue not so much.

jtk