Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eclipse?

Eclipse?

Anyone else staying up to watch the eclipse of the moon? I can see it through the bathroom skylight without going out in the cold. In the prenumbra now, noticeably darker! Touched by the earth’s umbra in just a few minutes.

The timeanddate.com website has good info with a live animated diagram under the Sun and Moon/Eclipses tab. Just enter your location or zip code.

The real camera is down the hill in the shop. The cell phone camera is NOT up to the task!

But I got a “suggestion” of the first touch with manual focus, ISO, digital zoom and exposure - the moon itself was too bright but by shooting through the double-pane skylight an internal reflection cut the light way back and I got this (about 2:25 am:

98B622B5-3FE4-426C-9451-94606642C2B3.jpg

Pretty sad and fuzzy, but hey…

It’s spectacular through the binocs, even through the skylight glass - the umbral shadow is about 1/4 off the way across the moon now (2:43 am)

JKJ
    Last edited by John K Jordan; 11-19-2021 at 2:49 AM.

I had just checked when I saw your post. Got to call it a bust here. We have 10/10ths cloud cover, though I guess if I stayed at it long enough the bright spot would dim a little.

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    I had just checked when I saw your post. Got to call it a bust here. We have 10/10ths cloud cover, though I guess if I stayed at it long enough the bright spot would dim a little.
    Bummer. Sky here is crystal clear. Just about as total as it’s going to get (3:55 am).

The view with the binoculars is fantastic, can see the red now, but for some reason the cell phone camera didn’t magically improve! 😜

FCBE895A-F429-46BB-A1E5-6149D5E78C8D.jpg

Cloudy here.

I watched it for about a half hour, around "totality". I thought it was neat.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    We had clouds.......
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

heavy clouds and rain. I woke up to be sure.

I slept through it

remember this one?...1A476C51-9A7F-4A94-B374-6F564CEFC7CC_1_201_a.jpg... 2017

I thought this thread was going to be about a sharpening jig. My bad. I missed it too.

YouTube

Well, this guy said he knew there were lots of people with clouds so he decided to live stream almost the whole thing, almost 5 hours! (Who said amateur astronomers were sometimes a bit obsessed?) He’s somewhere in Texas.

I listened and looked at just a few spots. Sounds like he was also running an open chat session, taking questions and commenting through much of it. I heard some general moon and eclipse info plus about his tracking hardware and software. Said he had over 4000 people watching at peak!

https://youtu.be/kiIv9j5CPlM

At about 4:25:00 he shows some highlights.

I saw some others with just highlights, much shorter! I’m sure someone will offer a nice timelapse after they get some sleep.

JKJ

Blog Entries
    We were having heavy showers and thick cloud cover.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I checked on it at about 4:30 local time on the way back from the can. It was pretty neat, but having seen them before, I didn't feel like watching it and then getting up for an early meeting. I figured there would be some good time lapse videos available today.

saw it came in to get the camera then got sidetracked some other thought and forgot.

I got up in the middle of the night but we had cloud cover and couldn't see a thing.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.