Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for Natural Finish Options

Looking for Natural Finish Options

Im looking for the most environmentally freindly finish options possible. Stains, Dyes, and protective coats, all options are welcome. Material will likely be eastern white pine. Looking for finishing products with 0 VOC's, no petroleum based chemicals, and Red List compliant (https://living-future.org/declare/de.../#the-red-list). I know that's a tall list but all recommendations or recipes for home brew solutions are welcome. Very curious to here some unique dye and stain recoomendations.

For dark woods I use 1/3 spar varnish, 1/3 boiled linseed oil and 1/3 turpentine. This will be quite yellow on a light wood like pine. I have never had much luck staining pine, it usually gets quite blotchy even with a sanding sealer.

Have you considered putting it under a tarp with a dish of household ammonia to fume a color on it? I have never tried fuming pine but oak fumes nicely. Is that too much of a chemical?

Water based poly isn't all that natural but it doesn't have a bunch of VOC's. Water based poly will dry clear instead of yellow.

Shellac is very natural. Beatle secretions and alcohol.

What type of project are you applying the finish to? Different finishes have different wear resistance so are suited to different projects.
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 11-18-2021 at 12:57 PM.

I've made and used black walnut husk dye. In the old days, people used fruits like blueberries to stain wood. Scandinavian soap finish. Wax?
    < insert spurious quote here >

Blog Entries
    Most importantly, don't try to stain it. Even dye will be problematic on pine. If you must color it, a sprayed on dye would likely work best.

Even most (all?) water borne finishes have some VOCs. There is the "soap finish", but that's just goofy & not even deserving of discussion IMO. Wax can provide a beautiful finish but is not durable & will require frequent rewaxing. But at least that's easy to do. Finding a furniture wax with no solvents or paraffins might be difficult.

Google "zero VOC coatings". Take your pick.

John

Blog Entries
    But finishes that can be labelled as zero VOC can still contain small amount of VOC, so OP, how fussy are you on actually having no VOCs at all?

When it comes to clear "natural" finishes, you've pretty much described the advertising script for Osmo Polyx. Here is an article from Fine Woodworking that describes it's use and features. https://www.finewoodworking.com/proj...-use-non-toxic
    I use the author's method of application (which differs from the instructions on the can) and have been very satisfied with the results.
    I believe Osmo comes in colored tints that presumably are equally environmentally friendly.
    Last edited by Edwin Santos; 11-18-2021 at 5:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    When it comes to clear "natural" finishes, you've pretty much described the advertising script for Osmo Polyx. Here is an article from Fine Woodworking that describes it's use and features. https://www.finewoodworking.com/proj...-use-non-toxic
    I use the author's method of application (which differs from the instructions on the can) and have been very satisfied with the results.
    I believe Osmo comes in colored tints that presumably are equally environmentally friendly.
    So, I thought this was true as well until this week. I've been using osmo for a bit thinking it was 0 VOC because so many had told me it was. I finally read the can, and the MSDS sheets, and osmo varies from 250-450 g/l VOC content.

Which got me thinking about some reviews I watched online where people said "sometimes I feel like I'm going to die while applying osmo" which I thought was a little over the top, but... maybe there is some truth to the irritant.

So, I have considered rubio monocoat for a long time, it's just not sold at my lumber yard like osmo is. I looked up the rubio MSDS today and wouldn't you know it, 0 g/l VOC content. Plus, a great reputation and 55 colors for clients to choose from. So, I guess I'm making the switch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Hall View Post
    So, I thought this was true as well until this week. I've been using osmo for a bit thinking it was 0 VOC because so many had told me it was. I finally read the can, and the MSDS sheets, and osmo varies from 250-450 g/l VOC content.

Which got me thinking about some reviews I watched online where people said "sometimes I feel like I'm going to die while applying osmo" which I thought was a little over the top, but... maybe there is some truth to the irritant.

So, I have considered rubio monocoat for a long time, it's just not sold at my lumber yard like osmo is. I looked up the rubio MSDS today and wouldn't you know it, 0 g/l VOC content. Plus, a great reputation and 55 colors for clients to choose from. So, I guess I'm making the switch.
    Well I learned something today. I've never had a reaction to Osmo, but I've also never read the labels for the actual VOCs.
    I've been wanting to try Rubio Monocoat for some time now, and you've given me one more reason. From the YouTube videos I've seen RM has a big following among the artisans that make live edge tables and such, and it appears to give a similar understated look to Osmo.

I just ordered some Rubio Monocoat natural and will offer some thoughts on it after I've had a chance to use and test it.

John

Thanks for all the input guys!

I am very strict on no VOC's with my new company. We are making hopefully a negative carbon impact wooden lighting fixture.

Unfortunately BLO contains to many petroleum based chemicals for our product. Rubio Monocoat Oil 2C has been one of the top on my list, as well as https://www.vestingled.com/led-hardwax-oil if anyone is curious. It can cure instantly with LED light, with no VOC, petroleum, or red-list chemicals.

Im going to look into some more of the homemade stain options as well, if anyone has any other home-brew recipes.
    Ethan Bishop
    Bishopwoodcrafts
    LuxTech, LightGlass, Lightly Architectural Lighting
    Manufacturing and Design Engineer

Tried and True original oil (BLO equivalent) has zero metallic driers and fits the requirements, as do their other two formulas. T&T has been my standard oil for over two decades because I can apply it indoors without risk to our birds.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

If you want a gloss finish, this is a low viscosity epoxy which the manufacturer says is zero VOC. https://www.solarez.com/product/zero...y-epoxy-resin/ You get it to cure by putting it out in the sun for a couple minutes!

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Bishop View Post
    Thanks for all the input guys!

I am very strict on no VOC's with my new company. We are making hopefully a negative carbon impact wooden lighting fixture.

Unfortunately BLO contains to many petroleum based chemicals for our product. Rubio Monocoat Oil 2C has been one of the top on my list, as well as https://www.vestingled.com/led-hardwax-oil if anyone is curious. It can cure instantly with LED light, with no VOC, petroleum, or red-list chemicals.

Im going to look into some more of the homemade stain options as well, if anyone has any other home-brew recipes.

Ethan, the Vesting Hardwax Oil looks pretty interesting. They say it cures with LED light but the device they show looks to be outputting UV light. What is a small shop/homeowner supposed to use?

I received the Rubio Monocoat yesterday and tested some on a sample board. I mixed a 1 ml sample. That sounds incredibly tiny, and it is, but the stuff is supposed to cover an average of 30 sq meters/L so 1 ml should cover 1.4 sq ft. But it covered less than half that amount of my walnut test board, and it was sanded to 150 grit which is finer than recommended. OK, it goes on very easily and leaves no lap marks. It leaves a dull luster, hard to call it a luster at all, really. I think I'll buy some of the Maintenance Oil to put on top, as recommended by Rubio if you want a satin sheen. I do, dull is just too dull for me.

It's stupid simple to use, for sure. We'll see how durable it is after a week of curing.

John

Quote Originally Posted by Ethan Bishop View Post
    Unfortunately BLO contains to many petroleum based chemicals for our product. . . .
    To what ingredients are you referring? I looked at a few BLO MSDSs out of curiosity, and haven't come across one basic BLO product that contains anything other than linseed oil and metal salts. Maybe you're looking at some of the blended products, like danish oil?
    < insert spurious quote here >