Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harvey S-12 overhead guard with dust collection

Harvey S-12 overhead guard with dust collection

I have a SS ICS and am always in the market for better dust collection. I've toyed with making my own but recently saw a video of someone using the Harvey S-12, linked below. It looks to be better designed that the SS overhead floating arm. But it should be as it's nearly twice the cost. Anyone have some experience with this product?

https://www.harveywoodworking.com/pr...overhead-guard

Looks like a nice product...I'm a little taken by the name since there was already a Shark product on the market.

If you want a similar utility for less money, Grizzly sells an overarm guard setup for $499.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've been eyeing that Harvey overhead guard for quite some time. The only reviews I've seen of it are on YouTube, specifically "Hooked On Wood" and "GT Woodshop", with the latter even installing his onto a Hammer sliding table saw (I own a Hammer K3). I'm *this* close to buying the unit, but really want to see some more reviews.

The SawStop and Grizzly models both seem nice (the Grizzly is currently priced even less than Jim quoted), but both have "simple" large shrouds and don't seem as "refined" as the Harvey. The shroud and overall design of the Harvey seems more akin to what you see on European sliding table saws already, including the model that Felder sells for its higher-end saws. That also pushes me more toward the Harvey.

I currently have a 3" line going to the riving knife-based guard on my saw (with a 5" line going into the cabinet itself, both sourced from a 6" drop). It's only adequate, but I want to say that's more due to the design of the guard as opposed to a lack of suction on the line. The Harvey has an odd design where the 4" port drops immediately down to 3" for the pipe, then goes even further down to 2.5" just before the guard. And that port on the guard is 90 degrees to the blade, meaning there seems to be a lot of step-down and potential for losses along the way. I'm not sure how well my setup would perform given all that.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

That's actually a pretty good looking design. Price seems reasonable, I guess? The Felder option is $1K+. Curious to hear some feedback.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    ...I'm a little taken by the name since there was already a Shark product on the market.
    I wonder how Harvey is getting away with that?
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I came close back when they were about $500 but the guard would not clear any saw with scoring or even my 16" saws without and Harvey wasn't interested in a larger model. They seem stuck that everyone has a 10-12" saw. Dave

is the felder overarm dust collector an option on hammer machines ?

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    I came close back when they were about $500 but the guard would not clear any saw with scoring or even my 16" saws without and Harvey wasn't interested in a larger model. They seem stuck that everyone has a 10-12" saw. Dave
    That's an interesting point. I haven't seen any specs on the size of the hood itself, and whether that would completely cover a 12" blade on my Hammer K3 with riving knife installed. I rarely use my scoring blade, and can only use it with 10" blades anyway, but I would still want it to be covered by the hood if possible (it's of course not covered by the riving knife-based guard that came with my saw).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    The Harvey has an odd design where the 4" port drops immediately down to 3" for the pipe, then goes even further down to 2.5" just before the guard. And that port on the guard is 90 degrees to the blade, meaning there seems to be a lot of step-down and potential for losses along the way. I'm not sure how well my setup would perform given all that.
    Steve, I agree with your points and that's part of my concern.

I'm currently using the original SS overarm and it works pretty well with most simple cuts. If I remove the hose from the back of the guard and make a cut with the DC off, it's pretty amazing how much dust and chips are thrown out the back of the guard. Clearly, air flow generated by the spinning blade can be harvested to help direct dust into a guard. So far, SS uses this approach on their original guard and not the new floating guard.

In my opinion, it would probably be helpful to create high velocity suction at the rear of the blade as well. I'm assuming a lot of the dust is generated as the rear of the blade is skimming through the cut (I'm talking dust here, not chips), in addition to dust/chips following the blade around from the front of the cut. A high-speed camera could provide some illumination on this issue with a few simple tests (e.g. running a board half way through the blade and seeing how much dust is following the blade around, etc…). Regardless, SS has already proven there’s value in capturing dust at the front of the blade, a point that’s slightly unintuitive.

I've toyed with the idea of designing my own dust collection guard but some research is needed first regarding the issues noted above. Specifically, what are the main sources of dust/chips…leftovers in the blade gullet, free dust in the airflow of the blade not captured by the internal DC, new dust created as the blade skims the rear of the board, etc…

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    Larger panel saws already have similar overarm guards available so there wouldn't be much point competing in that space.

I don't understand the problem with the scoring blade. It is covered by the work piece most of the time anyway. The small amount open at the start and end of the cut doesn't amount to much dust.

I can understand concern for the uncovered scoring blade, but it only reveals 1/16"or so of possible injury, unless you jam a finger in the slot.

No system is 100%
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I ordered a Shark Guard for my Mini Max 2 weeks ago. When I ordered they asked if In had a scoring blade. I would have never thought about that. I assume a scoring hood is a bit longer. Just one other point. I plan to mount it from the ceiling, they told me that they normally just use telescoping uni strut from McMaster. The telescoping uni strut is over $200 for 5'!
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    I ordered a Shark Guard for my Mini Max 2 weeks ago. When I ordered they asked if In had a scoring blade. I would have never thought about that. I assume a scoring hood is a bit longer. Just one other point. I plan to mount it from the ceiling, they told me that they normally just use telescoping uni strut from McMaster. The telescoping uni strut is over $200 for 5'!
    Did you order "The Shark Guard" (https://www.thesharkguard.com/), or the Harvey Shark S-12 guard? I'm guessing it's the former, since with the Harvey you shouldn't need any Unistrut unless you're doing something different. There's that "Shark" name confusion again.

Quote Originally Posted by David M Peters View Post
    Larger panel saws already have similar overarm guards available so there wouldn't be much point competing in that space.

My 16" saws are either short stroke sliders or traditional saws. The large slider has a guard although it doesn't swing away which is the nice feature of the Harvey.

Not covering the scorer is not a deal breaker but if I have to fiddle with a guard I want it to cover any blade that is moving. Truth is I don't like guards much except for dust control. I keep a power feeder covering the teeth on my ripping saw so I can't use one. The big sliders have them but my hands are never close to the blade and Mac's clamps run into them if not adjusted right. Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Fang View Post
    is the felder overarm dust collector an option on hammer machines ?
    The only Hammer I'm aware of that has an overhead guard is the K4 Perform, which is a 10' saw. I don't believe it's an option on the K3's or B3's.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep