Thread: Vacuum pump voltage and setup?

Vacuum pump voltage and setup?

I just received my Gast vacuum pump purchase. It came wired for 220VAC but wonder if 110VAC may be more appropriate considering it only has a 1/4hp motor. The lower voltage may also be easier to setup and use with a cord switch. What voltage do you folks generally use? Also, where do have the pump located relative to the lathe and how do you have it mounted? Any suggestions on this first time vacuum chuck setup would be appreciated.

B7C38BD5-1DB0-463B-8C54-B6E8F96DCF5D.jpgI have mine set up for 110, works well. I mounted the set up on a cheap dolly so I could move it if need be.
    Last edited by Dwight Rutherford; 11-17-2021 at 6:55 PM.

Mine are 110v. I carry one over and set in on the floor when needed. Don't use it a lot. If I used it a lot I'd probably build something to mount it on the legs at the end of the lathe (3520b)

Here is what I did with my vacuum setup from Frugal.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dwight & Robert - Nice portable setups. I especially like the compactness of Robert's and will probably go in that direction. While not in use it can be placed in a storage rack or wall hung. Dwight's cart makes the heavy setup easier to move around but requires consuming floor space, which is in short supply in my packed shop. I'll also probably wire the motor for 110VAC and add a switch. Overall, excellent responses. Thanks as usual.

I made a shelf holding the pump, air filter, bleed valve, vacuum gauge, etc and attached the shelf to the headstock end of my lathe. I used a couple of the threaded holes in the legs. When I don't use it, I stick a plug into the poly tubing to keep dust out. When I want to use it, I mount my vacuum head in a standard 4 jaw scroll chuck and thread the 3/8" poly through the spindle. Then I slip on the slightly larger tubing onto the 3/8" poly. Works slick. Minimal set up time.

Vibration isolators are a highly recommended addition to whatever you decide to go with.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Mine is 240V, it was a lot cheaper on the auction site than 120 v versions. My lathe is 240V, so power was already there. I just added a switched outlet to plug the vacuum pump into. The only thing different than 120V is that I'd use a double pole switch so that both hot leads are switched.

Years ago there was a surplus site that had a great deal on used GAST pumps 240 volt. Then they ran out of supply. It was not that a GAST pump required 220 v to run but was a function of the environment they were used in that 220v made sense. I do not remember all of the details. The same pump could be purchased for 110V but not used from that vendor at a great price.
    God is great and life is good!