Thread: Arauco Plywood for Cabinets?

Arauco Plywood for Cabinets?

Has anyone used Arauco Plywood for cabinet carcass's? This is for own use. 3/4 will not be available at any Borg or Blue Place till January, and at a substantially higher cost than the 80$ sheet it's listing now. Local WW place only does 5 foot sheets of Birch for 150, and my cut list is laid out using 8 foot sheets. Local builder supply is quoting me https://na.arauco.com/en/p/araucoply...aucoply_sanded at 70/sheet, but can't tell me what grade. I'm not yet frantic enough to consider MDF or particle, but I do have a deadline on this. Face frame, already have the oak doors and other parts built, milled, cut, sanded, and ready. Same issue with 1/2, there is none to be found. Thinking of going down there to look, but it's a pain in a drive, and a same amount of work for them to fork it off their top shelf. Another part of me is saying order their whole stack before any one else figures out they have 3/4 in stock. But it's pine....don't really care what it looks like, but I've never had a good experience with pine plywood of any grade or thickness. Too bowed, curved, warped.

Have you contacted plywood distributors in. your area that sell to cabinet shops? Many will sell to serious woodworkers even when they are not commercial businesses. Some will even deliver for free with a minimum order. (I buy from Industrial Plywood out of Reading PA that way) Organizations like that are going to have greater selection and they will also tend to provide flat material, too. Even "shop grade" stuff I've bought has been far nicer than anything at the 'borg in my area.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I used Arauco plywood for some shop cabinets about a decade ago, no problems. Can't comment on current quality or use in, I assume, kitchen cabinets.

I have used arauco for various cabinets for our shops and basement. No problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Colson View Post
    Has anyone used Arauco Plywood for cabinet carcass's? This is for own use. 3/4 will not be available at any Borg or Blue Place till January, and at a substantially higher cost than the 80$ sheet it's listing now. Local WW place only does 5 foot sheets of Birch for 150, and my cut list is laid out using 8 foot sheets. Local builder supply is quoting me https://na.arauco.com/en/p/araucoply...aucoply_sanded at 70/sheet, but can't tell me what grade. I'm not yet frantic enough to consider MDF or particle, but I do have a deadline on this. Face frame, already have the oak doors and other parts built, milled, cut, sanded, and ready. Same issue with 1/2, there is none to be found. Thinking of going down there to look, but it's a pain in a drive, and a same amount of work for them to fork it off their top shelf. Another part of me is saying order their whole stack before any one else figures out they have 3/4 in stock. But it's pine....don't really care what it looks like, but I've never had a good experience with pine plywood of any grade or thickness. Too bowed, curved, warped.
    I've found the surface of Arauco ply better than any other pine ply I've bought from local suppliers. I bought an entire bundle about 6 years ago and used it for walls and ceiling in my shop plus lots of other things, indoor use only. Both sides of what I have are good.

I do buy baltic birch when I need strength but the radiata I've bought has been good enough for most things for the house and shop. Don't have experience with recent product. And I'm not a cabinetmaker.

BTW, I found baltic birch in 1/2 and 3/4 at a local commercial dealer that catered to cabinet makers. They were happy to sell me what I wanted.

JKJ

I will say in my experience Monterey pine is one of the softest and easy to break woods. I have a feeling there is a reason it's natural habitat is less then 100 miles across. Simply out competed by other species that could stand up to the wind and diseases etc.
    Bill D

I built all my shop cabinets with Aruaco ply. I used 3/4" for everything and it worked great. I would use it again if needed.

I think people are misunderstanding the meaning of the brand. It is a brand and like all brands has different factories in different locations making different products. The link you posted is for Monterey pine plywood. i have to assume other species are made to other standards in other plants. I doubt baltic birch trees in Chile are old enough to make good old growth peeler logs.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 11-19-2021 at 8:19 PM.