Thread: Jet 1442 spindle length

Jet 1442 spindle length

I am considering updating my old Putnam lathe (10 x 24) to use bearings in the headstock instead of bushings. The current spindle (1 1/8 x 12 TPI) is 13" long and the treads have taken a beating. With the bushings removed, there is plenty of stock to have it machined to accept bearings one finds on a 1 x 8 TPI spindle.

I have been looking at replacement spindles as I think this would be easier and less expensive than having a machine shop manufacture one. The issue I'm having is finding dimensions (lengths) of them as they are made for specific lathes. I believe I have located one that may work.... Jet P/N: JWL 1442-103.

If someone who owns a Jet 1442 could measure end-to-end of the spindle and how much each end protrudes from the bearings, I would be most grateful!

Thank you.
    Last edited by Dave Keele; 11-17-2021 at 3:57 PM.
    .... Dave

Old carvers never die.... they just whittle away.

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    If you're still in need of this info, I can probably ship you an old 1442 spindle for the cost of postage -- IF I haven't thrown it away. Message me.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

Quote Originally Posted by Russell Neyman View Post
    If you're still in need of this info, I can probably ship you an old 1442 spindle for the cost of postage -- IF I haven't thrown it away. Message me.
    PM sent. Thank you.
    .... Dave

Old carvers never die.... they just whittle away.