Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: red Phenolic covered plywood

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Formica laminate is phenolic, so they have very similar durabilty. PM me, I've got acres of black Fenix NTM off cuts. I could send you a USPS flat rate box full for just the cost of shipping.

Great thanks. sent a PM.

These guys sell small quantities :

https://www.etsy.com/listing/9741356...waAtXiEALw_wcB

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    This is a great idea and might be my option. Wish it was a bit closer though - about 165 miles round trip to either the one in Delaware or the one out in PA. **** Hopefully woodcraft or rockler is reading this and sees a need to open a store in central NJ.
    They are all franchises...there used to be more of them, too. It's a tough business to be in in this day and age because "woodworking" is something that a lot less people do now than in the past as a hobby and that's the market that Woodcraft, Rockler and similar cater to.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    They are all franchises...there used to be more of them, too. It's a tough business to be in in this day and age because "woodworking" is something that a lot less people do now than in the past as a hobby and that's the market that Woodcraft, Rockler and similar cater to.
    It's understandable, however looking at Rockler, there are 3 in the Dallas area, 3 in the chicagoland area. Between Woodcraft and Rockler, you'd think that there would be one smack in the middle between Philly and New York City, which is such a densely populated area.

It would be nice, but somebody's got to want to make the (large) investment required to open up a brick and mortar operation and the risks it brings with a waning market and a clear preference by so many folks to just shop online. Tough situation.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It would be nice, but somebody's got to want to make the (large) investment required to open up a brick and mortar operation and the risks it brings with a waning market and a clear preference by so many folks to just shop online. Tough situation.
    Valid point. I am about 165 miles round trip to a woodcraft store, either DE or PA. However I know if the store was about 80 miles round trip, i'd be there all the time, and i'd be broke.

I hear you. The Allentown store is about 60 miles each way for me...but they really don't have anything I'm interested/need at this point. "Back in the day", when there was one near to my old house in Bensalem PA...a very nice store, too...I did buy from them as they had a lot of things helpful to a new woodworker including materials. The 5/4 cherry that Professor Dr. SWMBO's desk is made from came from that Woodcraft store. It was my first actual furniture project in 1997 and I had not idea there were actual hardwood dealers out there. Most of my original Jet equipment was actually purchased from a local independent dealer a few towns over. It was two "mature" gentlemen who had a nice business going with space in an industrial park. They were very customer focused. Back then, you could walk into a store, buy machines and often even take them home with you right then. Those guys even loaned me their small hydraulic lift table so I could unload the gear from the back of the one and only pickup truck I've ever owned.

I have stopped at the Allentown Woodcraft a few times over the past decade, but it was usually because I was in that area for something else and felt like browsing. I bought a few kitchen knife kits and doo-dads there.
    --

Sounds like you got it figured out but if not, another option would be to find a junk treadmill. I saved the base from a defunct one we got rid of. Base was MDF (or denser) covered with what I assumed was phenolic. Very smooth and durable. I was saving it for a router table but I recently threw it away as I ended up purchasing a purpose-built router table. Maybe someone else can benefit from this option, as well.
    Regards,

Kris

You might consider PVC sheet. I know it is available in red, I have a few small pieces of 1/4" thick red PVC in my shop but I often use white 3/8" and 3/4" thick PVC. It doesn't de-laminate, is soft so it cuts and routes easily. Not affected by humidity or temperature changes. Solid surface material is my first choice for jigs and fixtures if you can find a local source you can often get it for free.

I still have some jigs, and router bases, made from Corian from back in the '80's when that was the kitchen countertop of choice. All still good after several decades.

Another nice material is solid phenolic bowling alley surface. I was given a bunch of scraps of it, and made some router table tops out of it. It's much harder than any sheet type, but still machines fine with wood, and metal working tools. It does have a fake, although nice quality, woodgrain design.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    You might consider PVC sheet. I know it is available in red, I have a few small pieces of 1/4" thick red PVC in my shop but I often use white 3/8" and 3/4" thick PVC. It doesn't de-laminate, is soft so it cuts and routes easily. Not affected by humidity or temperature changes. Solid surface material is my first choice for jigs and fixtures if you can find a local source you can often get it for free.
    This might be a good option if I can find some local. I found on the net and shipping was more than the product. Such is life these days when shipping costs are off the charts.