Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: red Phenolic covered plywood

red Phenolic covered plywood

Does anyone have a good source of red Phenolic plywood for use in making jig and sleds like the one in the below link?

https://www.woodsmithplans.com/plan/...ll-parts-sled/

Thanks in advance

Formboard or signboard. Used a lot for concrete forms or outdoor signs. The stuff I have seen around here is yellow, not red. About the only place I have found it is at a contractor's supply wholesale place, the home centers don't seem to carry it. Yes, it does make great jigs and fixtures. I need to get a couple more sheets of it.

Check interstate plastics. You could probably also use MDO, which is what Dave mentioned. Around here, Menards carries 3/4 and 1/2, but it's not red, more brown or tan.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Not sure about any supplier near you, but:

https://www.andersonplywood.com/phenolic-plywood/

I'd just laminate Formica on some BB plywood.

We used Fin Ply from the Anderson Plywood link Tom posted above for a job years ago. It is a very nice product and stays flatter than typical Baltic Birch. It was expensive to ship to Colorado and have never found a closer source. I saved all the scraps and it is great for jigs,

Joe, how do you think the durability compares to Formica? Not that it would matter for a table saw jig, but just for curiosity.

I called Anderson Plywood and they don't ship. They will pallet up and order for $250 and can arrange my own shipper to pick up. That does not seem like a good choice for 1 small piece of board.

Woodcraft has a green version of that stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sabo View Post
    Woodcraft has a green version of that stuff.
    I saw they had it in black. I found some in the woodcraft store over the weekend but it was all in really bad shape. It wasn't stored well so I didn't bring it home. Shipping it from them might work, and of course shipping it cost 1/2 of what the product cost. I'd prefer it in red so it's visible. White would be a 2nd choice.

You could try looking for countertops at big box stores. It's not quite the same thing, but if you don't need much you could probably score an offcut for pretty cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Rapp View Post
    I saw they had it in black. I found some in the woodcraft store over the weekend but it was all in really bad shape. It wasn't stored well so I didn't bring it home. Shipping it from them might work, and of course shipping it cost 1/2 of what the product cost. I'd prefer it in red so it's visible. White would be a 2nd choice.
    Ask the Woodcraft store to order you in fresh for store pickup if what they have in stock is, um...you know...not worthy.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Boulter Plywood in Somerville MA stocks it (it was black last time I bought it, not red) and they ship, but it might well be expensive to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Joe, how do you think the durability compares to Formica? Not that it would matter for a table saw jig, but just for curiosity.
    Tom, I’ve not made anything sliding out of it. It’s probably not as durable as Formica but I would say a lot more durable than Melimine. What I like is it’s very flat and you don’t have to worry about any delamination since it’s impregnated into the plywood. Wish I had bought extra sheets at the time since the customer was paying! I think it was around $120 or so a sheet 15 years ago. I’m sure a lot more now.
    A24850A8-FE61-45F3-BE76-D04491D80F70.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Ask the Woodcraft store to order you in fresh for store pickup if what they have in stock is, um...you know...not worthy.
    This is a great idea and might be my option. Wish it was a bit closer though - about 165 miles round trip to either the one in Delaware or the one out in PA. **** Hopefully woodcraft or rockler is reading this and sees a need to open a store in central NJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Calhoon View Post
    Tom, I’ve not made anything sliding out of it. It’s probably not as durable as Formica but I would say a lot more durable than Melimine. What I like is it’s very flat and you don’t have to worry about any delamination since it’s impregnated into the plywood. Wish I had bought extra sheets at the time since the customer was paying! I think it was around $120 or so a sheet 15 years ago. I’m sure a lot more now.
    A24850A8-FE61-45F3-BE76-D04491D80F70.jpg
    That is exactly what i'd love to get my hands on!!! It looks like lowes might have MDO for about 72 a sheet. It's Lowes so my quality expectations are low. I'll check it out but from the pictures, the layers don't look so good.

Formica laminate is phenolic, so they have very similar durabilty. PM me, I've got acres of black Fenix NTM off cuts. I could send you a USPS flat rate box full for just the cost of shipping.