Thread: looking at pictures

looking at pictures

i know you have to donate to see the pictures but can anyone tell me the process to do this and what is the donation amout

thank you,,i just donated,,

I am curious how the new policy changing access to content has impacted membership and user activity on the platform. I get it, trying to generate revenue. Just curious if the take something away approach is working instead of offering added features for funds... Just curious to see the impact...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

The changes we made concerning the ability to view pictures here was for the most part recommended by Members. I was told time and time again that there wasn't any reason to contribute as long as everything people wanted was free here. From my vantage point I don't see any difference in traffic but our income has improved even though it is still lower than the advertising funds we lost due to ad blockers. We are holding our own financially which is all that I expect these days. We survived some tough times in 2008 and 2009 and learned that as long as we can keep our heads above water better days will be back. We are not alone as many public forum sites are feeling the financial squeeze based on a reduction in advertising income. Facebook and the other social media sites gobbled up the majority of the companies who invest in Internet advertising.

This February we will be starting our 19th year online. We have a good track record and a reputation for being reliable, there is no reason to think that we won't survive for many years to come. I know that we need to make some improvements and I am doing everything I can to be able to show some progress in 2022. I am working on converting the Friends of the Creek program from a custom database to a new forum here, this should happen pretty quick and hopefully provide better communications between our woodworkers and those here who own small businesses in an effort to save everyone some time and money.

There are other options for us but they would not be welcome here. I receive many offers every week from companies who offer to pay to "Guest Post" here and I refuse every one of them. I expect that everyone knows what that would entail. I also get offers from advertising companies who are willing to pay 2K a week if they can take over our advertising. The money would be welcome but it would destroy The Creek and I just can't let that happen.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 11-30-2021 at 3:05 PM.

Great response. Thanks. I knew it would be a bit squirrely asking the question, and it was meant with full respect and more than a little curiosity. One of the musicians forums I am a regular on opens up certain features, notably the ability to post in the classifieds / for sale forum with a donating member status. For me I was just wondering if restricting the ability to view images had any ill effect on the engagement of the forum.

And yes, Facebook / social media has done some big damage to all kinds of enthusiast forums. I prefer the forums though as most, if not all, have rules regarding keeping touchy subjects out of the conversation. Keeps them a much more civil place to hang out...
    Trying to follow the example of the master...

David, like the musician forum, Contributor status here not only brings images to light, it also gives access to the Classifieds, private messaging and some other benefits. And at a minimum of $6 is pretty affordable. Click on the Donate button up above if you'd like to re-up as a Contributor!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...