Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amazon's Rating System

Amazon's Rating System

I'm not a big Amazon shopper. Several years back they offered a deal, multiple times, and when I went to order, it changed price every time (bait and switch.) Finally after talking to CS rep, for whom English was not a primary language, was told they had no intention of selling me this item for that advertised price. In the last six months, I ordered about a half dozen items off Amazon. Every time, the first day after delivery, they want me to rate these items. How can they expect me or anyone else to rate an item that they only received the day before? After a week or so of use, only then will I rate an item.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 11-17-2021 at 8:37 AM.

Yes, I dislike getting demands for reviews before I've even used the item. But I've had that happen with many online companies, including some of the woodworking suppliers. I think one of the issues with Amazon is that they have a lot of foreign start-up suppliers that live and die by their reviews, and so are desperate to get good ones. I check the actual supplier on Amazon before I click, to see if I can decipher where they are, and Ill pay more if it appears to be more trustworthy.
    < insert spurious quote here >

One of the tactics that I thought wasn't too legit, was I purchased a webcam (or somesuch small computer part) and included in the package was an offer for an extended warranty if you put up a five star review...
    John

Amazon has two/three different rating requests. The first one you receive, generally quickly after delivery is to rate the fulfillment, not the product. It will specially say that, too. If the product was delivered by an Amazon contractor, there will also be a request immediately to rate the delivery experience...these often have a photo of the package on your doorstep. Product reviews are a completely different request; maybe I changed a setting, but I don't generally get those requests anymore. (and we are frequent Amazon customers)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I must’ve turned those features off because I haven’t been asked for a review in years.

As far as their price is changing, they have all kinds of algorithms that change prices based on all kinds of factors. I would not called bait and switch though. Occasionally they do post an incorrect price that is way too low for what the item usually is and they will cancel your order.

Ask Matt mentioned, you can turn the review requests off.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

As a frequent Amazon user I get the rating requests and sometimes respond and other times not. I've never experienced a bait and switch on anything so that seems foreign to me. However a few months ago an item the wife ordered but didn't get installed within the return period turned out to be a total piece of junk. So I left a 1 star review and stated the issues. It was unusable. It was a driveway monitor that went off non stop with false alarms. I started receiving emails from the vendor about the review and if I'd remove it I'd get an Amazon $25 gift card. The first time or two I thought it was a spam email. I got to looking and it was indeed from the vendor. I complained to Amazon about it. The emails continued every couple days. They got up to a $50 gift card on an item that barely cost that. It took 7 times but Amazon finally got the emails stopped. They clearly are less interested in the consumer than they are the bottom line. I asked repeatedly how the vendor received my email address. They kept saying I supplied it and because I left a review that they had it. I told them that any correspondence should have to be routed through them so it could be monitored. That's how it is on eBay. I wasn't going to remove my rating because the product was a joke. I know my rating is still there because only a week or two ago I received a notification to answer a question on the item. I hope I steered them clear. Amazon isn't perfect but it can be a good way to get things. Everything isn't always cheaper however so research the purchase to see if it's the best deal. Another annoying thing they have done is having to check the "Amazon Prime" box for every search to make sure that's what comes up in the searches.
    Last edited by Ronald Blue; 11-17-2021 at 11:17 AM.

Amazon's rating system is not based on standard math. If you have five ratings including a 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 star rating, you'd think the rating would be 3 stars (1+2+3+4+5)/5 but it isn't. Amazon weighs more recent reviews and certain reviewers more heavily than others. I know this will come as a big surprise but it is all based on a proprietary algorithm that includes shill reviews.

By the way, it is supposed to be against Amazon's "code" to allow sellers to encourage a review based on compensation (free product or otherwise). You see how well they enforce this code.

I recently placed an order where the ad said 2 units were included at the price. What I received was one unit. The seller sent an email after the order had shipped encouraging me to place another order if I truly wanted two. The product didn't receive a good review because of the deceitful practices. I'm still considering returning the item to make a point.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    I'm not a big Amazon shopper. Several years back they offered a deal, multiple times, and when I went to order, it changed price every time (bait and switch.) Finally after talking to CS rep, for whom English was not a primary language, was told they had no intention of selling me this item for that advertised price. In the last six months, I ordered about a half dozen items off Amazon. Every time, the first day after delivery, they want me to rate these items. How can they expect me or anyone else to rate an item that they only received the day before? After a week or so of use, only then will I rate an item.
    I typically order several hundred things from Amazon every year, lots of things for the farm, horses, video/computer use, household/kitchen. I ignore ALL requests for ratings. Seems like the requests have dropped off recently.

I do at time rate things that I am impressed with or specifically unimpressed with, but usually after a few weeks or months of use.

BTW, anyone who orders from Amazon and doesn't use ""smile.amazon.com" you might want to consider it. A charity/children's program for our church has received $100s from this program.

JKJ

John, I also use Smile to support Ginger's Parrot Rescue that specializes primarily in Senegal parrots. Almost any legitimate charity can get needed financial benefit from Smile.Amazon shoppers.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use Amazon Smile to support a local WW forum.

I was looking at some items for food storage 1 items was 11.99 but 5.99 sxh I also got an offer for Prime at half price. So I considered the free shipping with prime plus the other stuff like free movies so I got the Prime and went back to order that storage and the price had jumped 3 bucks, I'm like wth. So I asked my daughter who has prime to check price it was 15$ then I ask my Granddaughter who doesn't have prime and she said 12 bucks. So I gather amazon raises prices for prime members to cover their cost of shipping. Its still less then a non prime members sxh but come on. then the next thing I noticed that any movie I wanted to watch was not covered by prime I still had to pay to see movies I wanted so I canceled prime. I just have my daughter order for me. She has a business account so she gets lots of stuff
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

If you look at the other sellers, often enough you'll find that they've not presented the lowest possible price. So, I generally look.. And yea, we use smile for the marching band our kids were involved in.

FWIW, my oldest daughter works for a marketing company. They hire people to buy items and write reviews.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Between us we probably buy from Amazon 5 times a week. I've never given a review, and as I think about it, I can't remember the last time I got a review request....
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle