Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garage door insulation

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Did he do it on the house before deciding to rip it down and build the new one on the same slab/footprint? The recent video snippets that were in the garage had the same finishing and so forth that I (seem) to remember from the garage door video. But I could be misremembering... No matter. It was still an interesting method.

Something like that, yes. I think you're getting maybe the old house and the under construction house confused?

Good shot of the rails at the house they're installed in, which you can see is a double garage.
    https://youtu.be/h7pEGEyVBLI?t=147

Shot of the rails in the house under construction, which is a single bay, and has "normal" rails.
    https://youtu.be/1V8H47yK9sk?t=174

Maybe he goes into the rationale for not installing "thermorails", which is the product under discussion, but it's pretty clear he has not used it in the home he's working on. It's stuck in my mind because I had also assumed that product was there, but when he does this installation it's not present, and I've been very concious of how to "fix" this problem, such that I've been taking note of what he does, and does not do very closely.

Quote Originally Posted by Eugene Dixon View Post
    Matt Risinger did a video on the Build Show channel and demo'd a rail system that included a small cant in the vertical run of the rails. The cant supposedly move the door closer to the frame forcing a tighter seal. Don't know about the longevity issues, etc. I don't remember the name. FWIW, Risinger is a high end GC in Texas in case you haven't heard of him. Does a lot of high efficiency stuff.
    All the doors that I installed had that. I only installed about 500 doors though

Quote Originally Posted by Jerome Stanek View Post
    All the doors that I installed had that. I only installed about 500 doors though

How effective is it? I looked up the ones Matt was promoting, and $200 is a bit outside of my buy and try range. Are there any other solutions to sealing the gap on a garage door that aren't standard like the typical PVC/flex strip stop molding?

I've never seen one around here, but a one piece door would solve a lot of the problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWi0iuSOXiM

That kind of thing is very much of interest to me for whatever larger door I put on the shop building I hope to build. I don't want a "garage door" on it, but need something larger to be able to bring machinery, materials and completed projects in and out. So a carriage door or a flip up panel like the door in the video makes for a good accomodation and they can be insulated to suit as well. Weather sealing should be easier than a multi-panel door, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I've never seen one around here, but a one piece door would solve a lot of the problems.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWi0iuSOXiM
    You have to admire how they built that panel in only eight minutes even with all the distracting sirens and screeching car tires, and they didn't skimp on the nails or caulk either. Where can I get one of those time collapsers?

Kevin, you forgot the good music that magically accompanied their effort, too. I think they could have condensed the caulking operation portion of the video, however...LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...