Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking for some spring latches

Looking for some spring latches

My wife is a musician (cello). Her cello case has latches to hold it closed. The latches have a spring in them to keep the lift part of the latch down, once you snap it closed.

Several of the latches have broken springs and she has asked me to replace the latches but I have not been able to find latches that are even close to what she has. I have two pictures of one of the latches. One picture shows the latch closed and the other shows it opened up. If the spring was working, the arm on the "open" picture would be pulled down by the spring.

The problem is that without the spring, the latches come open as you carry the case.

Can anyone suggest where I might find something like this?

The latches need to be "smooth" so that they don't catch on clothes as you handle the case. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Mike

Latch 1.jpgLatch 2.jpg
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com) has a big selection of draw latches. That's the search term you want there. You can probably find a replacement for the OEM ones. Maybe not a 100% replacement, but one good enough to hold the case latched.

The closest ones I've found so far are from a German company by the name of Sugatsune - but they appear to be an industrial supplier. I don't see any way to order a few latches - maybe 5 to 8.

The ones McMaster Carr carries are a bit too large.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Sugatsune? I thought they are Japanese. At any rate, I've bought Sugatsune hardware -- hinges, lid supports, and such -- from regular online hardware suppliers. So maybe you can find the draw latches too.

I would check the suitcases at a Restore.

Why-not replace the spring(s)?

Under the English tab on the home page of the Sugatsune site - if you click on it you get a link to the North America distributor.

I buy road case components from https://us.tchweb.com/
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Not sure if these are to large but they are quite similar.
    southco.com/en_us_int/latches/draw-latches/fixed-grip-draw-latches/v7-over-center-series-latches

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Puhalovich View Post
    Why-not replace the spring(s)?
    I was about to suggest that. I've replaced springs in several latches. Might require drilling out a rivet. Also, finding a spring that fits. I've been buying and saving springs for decades so I can usually find something.

Thanks for your help and suggestions. I'll try a few things and let you know what works for me.

Mike

Maybe these? They have small and large. Had this site bookmarked for a keyboard case we were going to make.

https://www.shopmusicare.com/collect.../products/a614

We used to have an old spare cello case. I'll check.

Would it work to epoxy a super magnet to the inside of the latch so it is held in the closed position?

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Would it work to epoxy a super magnet to the inside of the latch so it is held in the closed position?
    That's what I was thinking. I need to see if the latch material is magnetic. I've just been awfully busy the last few days and haven't been able to put any time into this project.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    That's what I was thinking. I need to see if the latch material is magnetic. I've just been awfully busy the last few days and haven't been able to put any time into this project.

Mike
    If not, two thin super magnets, one on each surface may work, depending on the space inside. When epoxying super magnets I usually use a triangular file to scratch up one side to help the glue grip better. Done this a half a zillion times.