Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Looking for some spring latches

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    If not, two thin super magnets, one on each surface may work, depending on the space inside. When epoxying super magnets I usually use a triangular file to scratch up one side to help the glue grip better. Done this a half a zillion times.
    That's a great idea. I'll look into it. Thanks.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'm happy to report that John's idea of the magnets worked great. I didn't even have to epoxy them - they worked fine just sticking with the magnetism. The lower part of the latch is smaller than the cover so the magnet bonds better to the upper part. When I open the latch, the magnet stays in the upper part. If my wife has any problems, I'll epoxy them, but for now, I'll just leave them.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. This is MUCH better than replacing the latches - for a number of reasons.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I'm happy to report that John's idea of the magnets worked great. I didn't even have to epoxy them - they worked fine just sticking with the magnetism. The lower part of the latch is smaller than the cover so the magnet bonds better to the upper part. When I open the latch, the magnet stays in the upper part. If my wife has any problems, I'll epoxy them, but for now, I'll just leave them.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions. This is MUCH better than replacing the latches - for a number of reasons.

Mike
    Great! I'll remember that if needed here. One of my sons is a cello player and I've seen several loose latches over the years. When he was in high school his teacher, 1st chair in the Knoxville orchestra, kept her case shut with a nylon strap. I've had cases with latches and zippers and prefer the latches.

Anyone play violin? In a weak moment in an antique shop I picked up a violin case made from wood. My violin has a rigid cordura-covered case. Maybe I'll use the wooden case to carry tools to a demo or something.

John
    You live an interesting life.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    John
    You live an interesting life.
    I am extremely blessed with never getting bored!

The girl who trains my horses must have thought I was bored so a few days ago she brought me a wild kitten for a barn cat. That kitten is the most snarly I’ve ever seen, growls instead of purrs, constantly tries to bite and claw me. When I carried it to the house to show my wife she noticed blood dripping from my hand - I didn’t even know I’d been snagged! But I refuse to give up. I get it out of the cage as often as possible and carry it around to see the llamas and peacocks and watch me work in the shop.

Some years ago I caught a large feral manx cat in a trap, it has been terrorizing my other barn cats. It tried to bite through the cage and take my hand off. I got it fixed and all the shots then decided to domesticate it. That was exciting! It took me four months, keeping it in the shop, working with it every day - now it’s fat, happy barn/lap cat!