Thread: Delta Warranty?!?!?!

Delta Warranty?!?!?!

36-725, purchased in Feb 2019. Start capacitor found to be bad. Called delta, they tell me to send receipt to their email. Within minutes I get "...and the Capacitors are not a warrantable item. " and helpful instructions to buy it from ereplacement for 100$.

What the actual heck?!?!?!?

It get's worse, I ask for an explanation and get "Warranty covers manufacture defects! A capacitor is functional/controllable item and doesn't qualify for warranty. "

Yes, I'm aware I can get the same capacitor from grainger for 12$, but I'm a big fan of replacing OEM with OEM. Also not finding any language in the warranty text that came with the saw that excludes any part of the saw.

Caps go bad all the time and are "part of life" with single-phase equipment. Could pop tomorrow, could pop in 10 years. This reminds me: I need to buy some backup caps for my home A/C units.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    Delta is just about the last company I'd buy a machine from, so I certainly wouldn't pay for their replacement cap. They have carefully developed a corporate "screw you" attitude towards anyone who is unfortunate enough to buy their products.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Delta is just about the last company I'd buy a machine from, so I certainly wouldn't pay for their replacement cap. They have carefully developed a corporate "screw you" attitude towards anyone who is unfortunate enough to buy their products.
    Not to mention the likelihood that the "OEM" cap came from the low bidder capacitor supplier to the low bidder Chinese motor manufacturer that Delta uses.

Don't forget that they don't have replacement parts for machines they are currently selling either. B&D ruined a great American company when they bought Delta. Later they sold off the brand.

There is an owners group on that particular saw on facebook. If you have the T2 unit, they were having a BIG problem with capacitors and the motor brake on that model. I have the T1 model and haven't had any issues as of yet. I use my saw quite a bit. BTW, capacitors generally are not a covered on many manufacturers machines. I used to work with a good bit of single and 3 ph. motors and there are numerous things that can cause them to blow. Heat, voltage highs and lows, electical spikes, etc. On that facebook group that I mentioned, there is a guy there that has a retro kit for the T2 that everyone is raving about. I think it cost in the neighborhood of $90-$100. I believe it comes with both caps. and the items needed to fix the braking system on the motor.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Don't forget that they don't have replacement parts for machines they are currently selling either. B&D ruined a great American company when they bought Delta. Later they sold off the brand.
    That's a fact, Bruce. They didn't do Porter Cable any favors either. Also why I don't own any DeWalt or B & D equipment. I don't trust 'em for anything except 'disposable' stuff like kitchen gadgets - toasters and can openers.

i have a 36-725 and it has been a good saw and actually im expecting something like this to happen to mine,,and i do know delta customer service is crap,,honestly i think i would get the cheapest part from anyone to fix the problem,,,then i would sell it,,,thats what im going to do if the problem ever happened to me,,,to be honest with you,,i personallity like the jet table saw,,it comes with a 5 yr warranty and i do know jet stands behind their products,,great customer service,,

I've never had a start, or a run cap NOT covered under the general, default, manufacturer warranty on any other motor. Hell, I got a start cap for my 10 year old patton fan! Only time I see them not covered is when they're specially excluded in the warranty text. This just rubs me wrong, as well as the "pound sand" tone of the email(s). I talked to frank, on email and on the group. This saw was 400ish new for me, so 100$ for a kit versus 100$ in my "new saw" pickle jar is a no brainer decision. I'll probably just get a 5$ cap from grainger, use it like I stole it, and add Delta to my list of manufacturers I'll never buy again. The fact that a product like Franks exists is telling in itself.

An OEM capacitor? You think it has some kind of Delta markings on it? It's just a cheap Chinese capacitor like any other Chinese made machinery. I assume you know that Delta is a shell of what it was in the past and not covering that part would be obvious to me. Delta went off my list when it went to the far east. Also when after 6 months I had to go on their Facebook page to shame them to send me a $50 rebate check. Most importantly, you can have the $12 Grainger part in a day or two, or wait 6 months for one to come into stock somewhere else. You might have to wait for it to come from China.
    Last edited by Richard Coers; 11-17-2021 at 6:00 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    Most importantly, you can have the $12 Grainger part in a day or two, or wait 6 months for one to come into stock somewhere else. You might have to wait for it to come from China.
    Ha! The last Delta part I bought took a year and a half to get & according the dealer, was lucky to get it at all. That was when we weren't facing shortages of just about everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Ha! The last Delta part I bought took a year and a half to get & according the dealer, was lucky to get it at all. That was when we weren't facing shortages of just about everything.
    OP said Delta told him to contact ereplacement for the part. That meant Delta was out of the loop all together. I agree if you waited for Delta to ship one from China, you might have it next Christmas. But, maybe ereplacement buys from Delta?

Grainger will almost certainly be a superior capacitor over Delta. I would pay way more for one from Grainger than from Delta.