Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Felder PCS?

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Well Jim, the obvious response is that you should never have your hand close to the blade

Regards, Rod
    Oh, I don't disagree, but there are "those cuts" where it might appear the hand is close even though a push block/stick is being used. How the "pre-collision sensing" view things may come into play there.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Oh, I don't disagree, but there are "those cuts" where it might appear the hand is close even though a push block/stick is being used. How the "pre-collision sensing" view things may come into play there.
    Agreed, just couldn’t resist teasing you….Rod.

We had a long talk with the Austrians about the other system at the Vegas show. For the record, I am all in favor of safer equipment and consider (the true German-made) Altendorfs to be outstanding machines. Here are some of the questions we wondered about:

-What long term issues might you experience in a shop environment with a camera-based system? Having been in eleventy-million shops, I've seen how much dust there and crud builds up on non-working surfaces. Would this affect the system's ability to detect unsafe conditions?

-Does the fact that their system is "active" rather than "passive", like SS or ours, bring additional maintenance protocols into the equation? Lenses to clean, cables to check, etc?

-Since the camera is mounted to the overhead guard, what do you do if you need to swing the guard out of the way to cut something like a large box or a tall vertical cut?

So, I just don't know. To me, the triggering principle for the SS (and now PCS) has been so well proven that I wonder if we really need a more complex mousetrap? Just my thoughts,

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep