Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Consumer Cellular

We have had consumer cellular for more than 10 years. I got it because at the time they offered up to 5 numbers for different phones. So the family shared one account. Each number cost only a few extra dollars a month. I use little data so I stay with the very inexpensive plans. As noted, you cannot use them out of the country. Even Canada. They sell a variety of phones which I have taken advantage of a few times. Zero percent interest financing if you want to do that and they add the payment onto your monthly bill. In the decade or more I’ve used them I have found no reason to complain. Their customer service has been excellent. I will note ownership recently changed so things could change.
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    You can get unlimited data on consumer cellular.
    If you really need unlimited data, there are probably cheaper alternatives. But if you're not watching movies on your phone, the lower tiers work fine. I've never gotten anywhere near the limit of my 3GB plan, even on vacations when Android Auto is constantly shoving Google Maps through the car's screen. And of course data over the WIFI at home doesn't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce King View Post
    I think they are only allowed to advertise to the older crowd...
    That's why I call it "BoomerCom". But yeah, there's an AARP discount.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

As several people said, it's the carrier that matters with coverage. I have to walk outside to make a cell call on Verizon. My wife is on AT&T and not much better. A newer phone might be somewhat better but nobody does well around here.

We've had Tracfones for years and are spending about $6-7/month each. The phones offered with the good package deals are not as full-featured as other versions of the same phones, but for what we're paying I have no complaints about the phones (as distinct from the service). Most Tracfones I've looked at lately seem to be on Verizon.

I have been a Tracfone customer for years. Best deals are online with a promo code. I pay around $75 a year. You are paying full price if buying cards at the store.

I have the Amazon Alexa app on my phone. As long as I'm connected to WiFi I can make phone calls through the app, and dont cost me a thing or use my Tracfone Min. I am connected to Wifi at work and home so I dont use much Min. The calls are also clearer than the cell phone.

With Tracfone the towers it uses depends on the model phone you have. My last phone was ATT. New one is Verizon. Verizon purchased Tracfone not long ago so that may have changed.
    Last edited by Dave Lehnert; 11-16-2021 at 6:04 PM.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

My wife has a US Mobile plan, roughly $10/month. It's always worked well, but it uses the Verizon LTE network in most places, so unless your challenges are 3G related (which I don't doubt, given the age of that network). The only drawback to US Mobile is that they don't support voice calls over wifi unless you're on a GSM network. But my wife uses the phone very little, so it's not a really big deal for us.

Our older Tracphones don't support wifi calling but I believe all the current ones do. That would solve our problem with coverage at home and should do the same for the OP, whether with Tracfone, Consumer Cellular or whatever.

Blog Entries
    Been with Consumer Cellular since retirement. Very happy. Great customer service. Good prices. The AARP discount pays for our AARP membership and then some.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have a track phone and I get my cards bundled with a new phone from HSN or QVC who ever has the best deal I pay about $70 a year and I have a phone that I can sell or use.