Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Harvey vs clearvue

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Kapl View Post
    are you using this one? defintely has a good price point to try it out.
    Yes, I've had one for a couple of years. I power it with a USB battery, Velcro'd to the back, so it's easy to move it around the shop to where ever I'm working.

Thanks Frank. I just ordered one. Although I got the one that hooks up to a computer and can data log.
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Yes, I've had one for a couple of years. I power it with a USB battery, Velcro'd to the back, so it's easy to move it around the shop to where ever I'm working.
    Thank you. Ordered

Looking forward to what you learn, subscribing to this thread. Thanks for doing a test.

I just built up a CV, so far so good, but the Harvey's are interesting.

What jobs does a Havey G-700 do?
    It moves 700cfm air with a static pressure of 18 1/2", with a 32 gallon dust capacity, at 60-70 dba, for $3000, the G800 for $6,700., and the G1000 for $9,000.

A Grizzley 2 hp dust collector moves 1550 CFM at 11" static pressure. The air filtration seems to be the difference, unless one dispenses with the Grizzley "filtration" system, and shoots the dust into a bin. This ups the Grizzley dust capacity to whatever trailer you park out there. CFM and Static pressure would not drop with no bags. Decibels drop when the blower is bolted to the outside of the wall, rather than the inside. $900.

A Rigid shop vac provides 53" of static pressure at 203 cfm, when the filter is cleaned every few hours. Screams like a stadium full of Beatles fans used to, gets louder with age, until it reaches terminal crescendo in a tower of flying orange parts and sparks. $150.

Ultra CleanSC200 Central vac with bypass motor: 125" of lift at 121 cfm, direct vent to trailer. 65dba, put it outside. no filters. $400.

It sounds like the extra money is spent filtering dusty air to breathable quality, vs. exhausting the air and dust to a trailer, and adding more heating and cooling.

It seems like the Harvey is very good at filtering air.
    Last edited by William Hodge; 11-22-2021 at 12:24 PM. Reason: Wrong Prices, fixed it.

$9000 really? I thought they were about 2400$
    The Plane Anarchist

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post
    Harvey has more than one model and the larger one is "up there" in cost. The smaller one is in the threes and comparable in cost to the higher level cyclones from ClearVu and Oneida...but I didn't look it up.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Harvey has more than one model and the larger one is "up there" in cost. The smaller one is in the threes and comparable in cost to the higher level cyclones from ClearVu and Oneida...but I didn't look it up.

The "normal" price is in the 3's, but if you sign up for their email list it goes on sale roughly twice a month (not kidding) for ~$2600.

Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Betsch View Post

I had the prices wrong. The G700 is $3,000. The industrial 3 phase version is $9,000.

https://www.harveywoodworking.com/co...RoCvUcQAvD_BwE

Well, my apologies to all but this A:B comparison is not going to be possible. In my haste to get the shop setup I listed the clearvue and sold it. But I DID purchase the above referenced particle counter. It seems to work - I simply plugged it into a USB battery pack and it comes on and responds in a way consistent to what you would expect.

Some preliminary findings:

The largest readings in terms of particle counts was in my kitchen after cooking breakfast (bacon in a cast iron pan, eggs, potatoes...but I digress). Here it spiked into the 400 range for both the >.3um and >.5um ranges. The >1um range drifted up as well but in the 100 range.

Also when my forced air furnace kicks on it seems to bump up the counts.

In the shop I have only tried a few readings. The shop starts out below 100 counts across the range, in the 10-30 range after sitting for an evening.

This Harvey system is now ducted through a long run overhead then down to the floor to an 'octopus' of non-desirable connections to the MM CU300 smart all in one. I put blast gates on each function near the machine. It is by far not ideal - although I have the belt sander right next to the DC as a priority (thinking the belt sander is going to need the most airflow).

The particle meter I held in my hand while trying the jointer on an edge of a board. The meter doesnt move. Seems perfectly adequate there.
    The planer moved the numbers 'some', but below 150 counts all ranges.
    The tablesaw, surprising, also showed minimal movement of the particle numbers. Again below 150 although I let it sit for a while after making about 30 cuts on some pieces where it drifted to around 200 counts but then came back down. Note I do not have the overhead collection on the TS and it was spitting out sawdust towards the rear (relatively large sawdust particles that simply fall to the floor). So I still need to get that hooked up.
    Sanding with the Festool/vac combo doesnt move the numbers.

So I still have to get the sander operational and try it. And although I did some work on the router table I didnt take numbers.

But first pass, it seems to collect dust to a level below that of my kitchen... at least in terms of when cooking certain items in the kitchen. I was surprised given how convoluted the run is to the TS. And yep, stirring up dust from shaking rags or moving dusty boxes around causes a bigger spike than running the equipment. (counts as high as 1000 range if making dust)

At the same time keep in mind this meter only goes down to ">3um", so the small stuff below 3um isnt being measured.

(please dont bash this very non scientific report lacking any medical comments on acceptable levels and/or experimental approach. I am simply sharing what I have done so far. I am not recommending or advising on dust collection in any way, that is up to the individual to educate and decide for themselves)

I will post some pics of the meter and ductwork etc as time allows.
    Last edited by Carl Beckett; 12-27-2021 at 9:21 AM.

The little meter is a handy tool to understand relative particle counts for sure. I keep mine plugged into a USB port on the UPS that services my Internet gear which happens to be located in my temporary shop. I also do not have it on top of the tools so it's really looking more at ambient room air rather than a direct path from the tool. I find that more meaningful for what I have the meter for.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Carl Beckett View Post
    The largest readings in terms of particle counts was in my kitchen after cooking breakfast (bacon in a cast iron pan, eggs, potatoes...but I digress).
    I've got a cyclone that collects bacon particles. Teenage son. Nothing escapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    No photo to share by my customer who loves his, it's maybe 3' from the machine, under a work bench. I'm certain that contributes to its efficiency. I seem to recall him telling me that he rarely has to dial it up to WOT.

Erik

I did a mini review of the G700 here on the Creek a couple months ago: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ghlight=harvey

Blog Entries
    Glad you've got things up and running. I found the meter results to be very interesting & sometimes surprising. It's a great way to get to know the 'dust weather system' in a shop.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Glad you've got things up and running. I found the meter results to be very interesting & sometimes surprising. It's a great way to get to know the 'dust weather system' in a shop.
    I agree. And it's not just dust. I got this air quality monitor.

I was rubbing a coat of Trewax on a few small boxes I made. Suddenly the monitor was beeping and the TVOC counter was over 1.0 mg/m**3. That's something I wouldn't have thought about.