Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compressor 101

Compressor 101

Hi everyone --

I'll soon receive a new slider, and at some point in the near future, a set of Mac's AirClamps.

I've never owned a compressor, and would like to hear from others who use these clamps what type of fittings, size of connectors, and type of tubing they use.

One question I have is if an air regulator is a recommended add-on, but perhaps that's actually part of the compresor itself (hence the title of this post).

Thanks in advance --

Ned

Hi Ned
    No help with the clamps but a few comments to the left of the clamps;

I have a Husky compressor, it's cheap and loud. It came with a regulator but the regulator leaked quietly and the compressor ran often. I removed the regulator and now it will hold pressure for months. Also the QD hose connects leak so the hose is only connected when needed. I should just add a valve before the hose but I use the thing about twice a year.

So my suggestions;

California compressors are quiet, other brands are too

Install a valve at the compressor and before the regulator, but not between the compressor and the relief valve

Don't mess with the relief valve, they are not normally adjustable or repairable.

Find out what quick disconnects and regulators don't leak, someone here should post on that

Air does not need big piping. Typically it get way oversized.
    Last edited by Tom Bender; 01-27-2022 at 5:49 AM.

I'm going to comment specifically on regulators. Plan on using multiple regulators in your system as there will be different requirements for different purposes. Products like air clamps do not "use" air like spraying finish or putting in nails; rather they depend upon a specific, constant pressure to do what they do. The same is true for other assistive pneumatic devices like the Z-axis assist that I have on my CNC machine. Since different devices require different pressure levels, you'll want a dedicated regulator for those that have expectations that are different that the overall "system" pressure.

Now if you're going to use a small compressor and dedicate it to the task, you can certainly use the on-board regulator that's typically on them to deal with the situation. You don't need a big compressor for devices like the clamps for the most part.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I've got a California Air Tools compressor #4610 (4.6 gallons) and will attest to it being very quiet. I had an old Porter-Cable pancake style compressor and when the compressor kicked in, just forget about talking while its running. On the other hand, the CAT is very quiet, you can easily hold a conversation while it is running. I've never noticed the quick connects leaking, it holds its pressure very well. I bought my connectors from Lee Valley, they had a set that were on sale and they've worked just fine. At 45 pounds, the CAT 4610 is a little heavy to lug around but doable; I've never gotten around to making a cart for it, maybe this summer. Other than that, I'm very happy with the unit.
    I use a Flexzilla hose, 25-30 feet, and it's a pleasure to use.

Rather than installing piping and fittings you might consider one of the retractable reel units. Good luck.

Thanks, Jim - exactly the type of feedback I was interested in.

The compressor will also need to "power" a brad nailer, that's the only other pneumatic device I have in the shop at the moment. Haven't decided on a compressor yet, but what ever it is, it will need to be on wheels. Had looked at the 20 gallon Ingersoll-Rand, as it's mobile. But other smaller units could be made to be mobile if desired. Still trying to figure it all out.

thanks again

Both clamps and a brad nailer require VERY little air to run. I have used the California Air Tools compressors "quiet" line and they're great. There are other quiet ones on the market now too. My California Air Tools one was stolen and I replaced it with a Lowes model that I can't recall the name of (80% sure it's a Kobalt) but it's a "quiet" one too, and it's indeed very quiet. As in, my cats look at it funny, but don't bolt from the room when it turns on.

Blog Entries
    Get as quiet as you can. I've a small HF quiet compressor and I can actually hear and think when it runs as compared to my old dewalt pancake which was deafening. I didn't even like using it outside.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Don't know what your volume requirements are but I recently got a Senco PC1010N which puts out 0.7 scfm @ 90psi. I have two other compressors but this one is extremely quiet and doesn't vibrate. It is going under my assembly table permanently to run a crown stapler, pinner, or brad nailer. Purchased at HD.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Kris

Extend the drain port and install a ball valve so it is easy to drain after every run.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Extend the drain port and install a ball valve so it is easy to drain after every run.
    Bill D
    Good call Bill. I will do that.
    Regards,

Kris

Mac's clamps include an air regulator that magnetically attaches to the saw chassis.

Good suggestions here, especially extending the drain and adding a ball valve - get in the habit of draining it periodically - it will significantly extend the life of the tank.

for quick connect fittings, check out Stedlin. I found them on garage journal… US and family made, I’ve switched over completely to them. (Normal disclaimer- no relation to them besides happy customer).

I have a 1 -1/2 HP 20 gallon california Air compressor. Very quiet and meets all my needs: blowing off, ROS, nailers, blowing out pool & water pipes, pumping up tires, socket ratchet. I don't think I have a chore that requires high volume air. I also like the hard rubber tires on the compressor. Nothing more aggravating that having to pump up the tires on the compressor before you can roll it to where you want to use it, especially if the valve stems "disappear" into the wheel. Even though it's quiet, I keep it in another room and plumb hoses through my building. I keep a portable hose handy for when I need to use it somewhere outside the shop. I do need to try those Stelin couplers. They look real nice.

I have 5 air compressors, actually. I have a very small Paasche air compressor that is very quiet but only puts out enough air to run an airbrush. I have a Porter Cable pancake compressor that works okay but is so loud I don't want it anywhere near me when running. I bought a small California Air compressor to replace it, which is so much quieter. You can actually have a conversation next to it while it is running. I have a very old wheelbarror-style compressor that my dad gave me which he used to run his framing nailers when he was building. It can run off of 120V or 240V but it is very loud and I wouldn't want to use it inside. Then, I have a large stationary compressor that I bought years ago with the intention of creating a hardline air distribution system in my garage. Well, years have gone by and it's still sitting in my basement. I'm not sure I've every even turned it on. One of these days, I suppose....

I have a P/C pancake compressor, does great for my needs, it’s in a cabinet so that really cuts down on noise, definitely makes a difference.
    I also drain regularly.