Thread: Woodpeckers "Sidewinder" router lift - egregious behavior?

Woodpeckers "Sidewinder" router lift - egregious behavior?

I built my router table a few years ago and found a used Sidewinder lift for the table. It worked great until just recently, now it no longer likes to lift the router but makes a popping noise when I turn the crank. As best I can tell, the noise is coming from where the threaded lift rod engages the body of the lift. I took the lift partially apart, cleaned everything up and lubed with a tiny bit of white lube, but no joy.

I'm fearing that I may be on the cusp of discovering why that particular model had a relatively short product lifespan. Anyone had any experience with these models, and have ideas on how to proceed? Thanks!

Marty
    Last edited by Marty Gulseth; 11-15-2021 at 1:57 PM.
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon

Have you called Woodpecker? My Woodpecker lift came with a Lifetime Warrantee IIRC. I have a PRlV-2 IIRC.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I have that lift. Mine was hard to lift with the lift rod and made some popping sounds when using the crank. I lubed the rods the lift rides on and it seems better. Got to use a dry lube though.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Have you checked for a loose set screw? Just guessing here. I have no knowledge of that particular lift.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Well, duuhhhh! I hadn't used the router table for literally several years - got distracted by "life events" and very little woodworking of any kind. Then, after my post, I got to browsing around on the 'net. Bottom line, though instructions don't say so specifically, it seems that the manufacturer's intent is to use the lift wrench for gross adjustment or raising the router all the way up for bit changes, etc. and to use the crank on the side for "fine tuning". I cleaned things up, did a bit of discrete lubricating of moving parts, I "THINK" I''m back in business. Thanks, all for the suggestions!

Marty
    "Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity" - anon