Thread: Makita sub compact drill driver differences?

Makita sub compact drill driver differences?

Does anyone know the difference between these two Makita sub-compact drill drivers?

The XFD11ZB & XFD15ZB.

They come in a combo kit that, right now Home Depot has one on sale for $169.00 (CX203SYB ) and Amazon has the other for $158.00 (CX200RB).

Other than the HD one being a 1.5 AH battery and the Amazon being a 2.5 & the HD one being a "Rapid Charge", the specs are the same.

Any ideas?
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

I'm not familiar with the Makita products, but the 2.5 ah battery would really influence me for sure in this decision. My first Festool CSX came with the old, smaller amp hour batteries and when I got the second, I upgraded the batteries on the first one to the 2.x ah version lickety split. These compact drill/drivers get used a lot by folks who have them because of how light and comfortable they are so having better battery life is always a plus.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Makita is my chosen cordless system so I have a decent stock of larger batteries.
    The smaller 1.5 AH batteries are what I like to use on my cordless router.

Still I understand & agree - the longer running 2.5 AH would be a plus.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Well sounds like you already answered your question in that differences lie in the batteries and charger.

Ive had both those subcompact models (drill and driver) for the last 3-4 years - actually I have 2 of the drills - one for the shop and one for the field. They are a great size for 90% or the work I do and I have more powerful impacts and drills for the times when I need more.

Seems like a no brainer to go with the 2.0 ah batteries with rapid charger for less money. There is no practical difference size / weight wise between 1.5 and 2.0 ah makita batteries in my experience. I use 2.0 for my shop drills because it keeps them lightweight and balanced compared to a 4 or 5 ah. I know that the 1.5 ah batteries used to be the old style without battery level indicator lights and the 2.0 was the upgrade; this was some years ago that this occurred so maybe they now have new style 1.5 ah as well, but I would still go with the 2.0.

That’s a a good price for the kit at $160 with batteries. I bought the same set 4 years ago on eBay (“new” but discounted) for basically that and a lot has changed in the world since then
    Still waters run deep.

I haven't ventured into the subcompact line yet but I agree with the others that 2.0 is perfect for drivers. I charge slightly more often than I would like when doing a lot of drilling or driving, but 2.0Ah is a very comfortable weight. Makita was such an improvement in size and performance over the Ryobi driver (now relegated to use in the house) that I haven't had a need to go even smaller.

The only factors that would sway me in the other direction on this one is the fact that Home Depot is local in case a return or exchange is ever needed, the metal housing face may be slightly more robust, and $169 is not really $169 if you do the 11% rebate for in-store purchases (much easier to submit than Menards rebate) and pay with a discounted gift card, like from Giant Eagle grocery.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Makita is my chosen cordless system so I have a decent stock of larger batteries.
    The smaller 1.5 AH batteries are what I like to use on my cordless router.

Still I understand & agree - the longer running 2.5 AH would be a plus.
    To just be sure I was clear, I wasn't suggesting another brand; just that the tool that by all appearances is the same other than battery capacity would have my choosing the one with the higher battery capacity. There's likely very little weight difference for these compact drivers between those choices, either.
    --

looks like the XFD11ZB is 6 3/8 long
    the XFD15ZN is 5 7/8 long. it also looks like it has some kind of charge indicator and a metal "jampot" whatever that may be.

Quote Originally Posted by John Stankus View Post
    the XFD15ZN is 5 7/8 long. it also looks like it has some kind of charge indicator and a metal "jampot" whatever that may be.
    Those are the model numbers of both the drill and impact driver that are included in the kit and not the model numbers of the kits themselves, FYI.
    Still waters run deep.

Quote Originally Posted by John Stankus View Post
    https://toolguyd.com/makita-18v-subc...-kit-cx203syb/

Toolguyd did a comparison in June. the XFD11ZB is the older model which came out in 2016, the XFD15ZB is the newer model came out this year?

[QUOTE]To just be sure I was clear, I wasn't suggesting another brand;[/QUOTE Yes - I understood what you were getting at.

Seems like a no brainer to go with the 2.0 ah batteries with rapid charger for less money.
    The more expensive Home Depot combo comes with the smaller 1.5 AH batteries - but it has the Rapid Charger.

The Amazon combo kit has the larger 2.5 AH batteries but a regular charger.

Also the individual drill drivers & impact drivers in each combo kit are different.

Toolguyd did a comparison in June. the XFD11ZB is the older model which came out in 2016, the XFD15ZB is the newer model came out this year?
    John - thank you! I just found that right as I was reading you message.
    It looks like Makita discontinued the 1.5 AH battery and Home Depot snatched up a bunch and had Makita use the old discontinued batteries in the new tool set - along with a Rapid Charger.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 11-15-2021 at 5:36 PM.

Ok - I picked up the combo set from Home Depot this morning.
    It has the newer drill driver & impact driver.

It also came with 2.5AH batteries instead of 1.5AH like the ad says it would. That's a plus I guess.
    It also came with a regular - not rapid - charger. No biggie there since I have a lot of Makita batteries right now.

I think I'll like this set a lot. My Milwaukee 12V combo set is my go-to for everything - except screws 3.5" or longer. Even the 12V impact driver struggles with those. Probably because the batteries are older and weaker.
    I got real spoiled - real fast - with the handy size of the smaller tools. These Makitas should give me a lot more power - yet - maintain the small handy size.

Nothing like a successful "new tool day". 'Glad you got the better batteries, too!
    --