Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blast gates.

Blast gates.

Spending WAY more time in my shop as my work is shifting from field based to shop based. So, definitely starting to look at the dust collection system and upgrades to it. Adding multiple lines and blast gates was first on the list, but these are just terrible. Any recommendations for gates? I really didn't think this would be a challenging purchase but after getting these (terrible seal) I'm realizing yet again, everything must be researched.
    Attached Images Attached Images

You may want to mention the nature of your duct work so folks can recommend blast gate solutions that are compatible. I will tell you that the gates that I'm now using with the clamp together system from Blastgate Company are really top notch.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Can't open your pics but I like the metal self cleaning ones from Lee Valley. 15 bucks for a 4" one.

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell Bade View Post
    Can't open your pics but I like the metal self cleaning ones from Lee Valley. 15 bucks for a 4" one.

Ditto. No more blast gates that won't close fully because they are clogged. One less maintenance issue to deal with.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

I like the ones I have from Blast Gate Company. You just have to make sure you orient them correctly vs the location of your collector.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    You just have to make sure you orient them correctly vs the location of your collector.
    This actually applies to most blast gates and is an important point. They have to have some level of "looseness" so you can operate them, but you need the DC system to pull them fully closed with negative pressure. For some gates, it's just a matter of flipping the locking screw to the other side and with some others you literally have to flip the whole assembly around to get the correct orientation.

I doubt this would fix the issue in the OP's photo, however...that's a lot of daylight all around!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Forget blade style blast gates and use the rocking style. The can be operated remotely by cords if mounted high and never jam. There are patterns to cut out both 100mm AND 150MM on the Australian WW forum.

My NEW Unique Blast Gates (sawmillcreek.org)
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I honestly don't understand everyone's need/desire for extremely well sealed blast gates on a high CFM low vacuum dust collector.
    Spent too mush time fussing with plastic ones that don't close due to sawdust in track. Metal ones get loose after enough years.
    JUST don't see the negative in that little bit of leak around the blast gate shown by OP. Rather have that then fight with slides that won't shut causing them to have way bigger gaps.
    Under high levels of vacuum yes I understand but a dust collector with high cfm and low level of vacuum??

OP if you intend to throw those gates away I will pay the UPS shipping from you to me.
    Just my opinion
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    I honestly don't understand everyone's need/desire for extremely well sealed blast gates on a high CFM low vacuum dust collector.
    Spent too mush time fussing with plastic ones that don't close due to sawdust in track. Metal ones get loose after enough years.
    JUST don't see the negative in that little bit of leak around the blast gate shown by OP. Rather have that then fight with slides that won't shut causing them to have way bigger gaps.
    Under high levels of vacuum yes I understand but a dust collector with high cfm and low level of vacuum??

OP if you intend to throw those gates away I will pay the UPS shipping from you to me.
    Just my opinion
    Ron
    People get all hung up about leaks in ducting and blast gates for no good reason because as soon as a gate is opened and the static pressure drops they go away and if they don't the DE has a huge capacity and it does not matter anyway. Clearvue blast gates have leaks deliberately built in to stop dust build up so if you don't like leaks don't buy them.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    You may want to mention the nature of your duct work so folks can recommend blast gate solutions that are compatible. I will tell you that the gates that I'm now using with the clamp together system from Blastgate Company are really top notch.
    Good point. At the moment I'm using a dust right 1250. Just 4" hoses, no fixed ducting yet. Plan is to upgrade everything, but trying to make it last as long as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post

Just my opinion
    Ron
    I can vacuum the floor with the gates closed. Are you able to do the same with yours?

I really like my ClearVue blast gates, but after reading this it seems like others may not share that view? My duct work is 6” sewer and drain PVC with siliconed joints and short runs of mostly 6” flex coming down past the blast gates. I have a few of the 6” to double 4” clear boxes and those are handy as well, though when jointing or planing I do notice a small amount of chip build up that can happen in the bottoms of those boxes after a long milling session. Not really an issue as I just barely open one of the 4” gates and the chips clear immediately.
    Still waters run deep.

I've worked in a shop that had standard metal blast gates, many of which would not close completely due to dust buildup in the tracks and were near impossible to disassemble due to the nut/bolt/casting interface. Nearly all of my gates are the self-cleaning design from Blastgateco for that reason. I don't worry too much about minor leakage around the fully closed slide and the only gate on which I use the lock screw is swiveling and prone to opening otherwise.

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan Hall View Post
    I can vacuum the floor with the gates closed. Are you able to do the same with yours?
    I have used the 6" hose for the planer to vacuum the planer and the floor when done after running over 50bdft. This was without a blast gate on the 4" to table saw so tablesaw line was wide open. Also was with plastic blast gates that refused to completely close.
    I have shop vacuum piped with multiple ports and use a 20' hose to vacuum instead of running dust collector for that.

Your post was complaining about the existing blast gates you have. I have upgraded to those and like them. My offer stands I will pay shipping so you can get rid of those " these are just terrible" gates.

Ron

You're missing the point Ron. I've got enough loss with that gate that it's impacting other tools. I bought a cheap replacement and instantly there was a difference in the during use function of the tool.

My post was asking for advice. You ranting about it being unnecessary and asking me to ship parts to you isn't helpful at all.

If you have some advice or something worth teaching then go ahead. Otherwise there's no need for you to keep posting on this.