Thread: 'Creeker's Past Week Accomplishments

'Creeker's Past Week Accomplishments

This weekly thread is normally hosted by Dennis Peacock. Sadly, this weekend it was determined that a family member was likely to pass away soon. Please send kind thoughts out to the Peacock family as they endure this terrible event.
    ------

My week was generally quiet relative to woodworking, but I did make preparation for the sawyer that will be cutting several logs for me this week at the old property. Yesterday, I had to reorient them so he could get the machine close when he arrives on Thursday. (today or tomorrow, I'll be getting things ready for stacking/stickering here at the new place) The first log in the photo is cedar; the remainder is all ash except the last which is walnut. The big log in the back can't go on the mill...it's 39+"...trying to get it picked up for slabbing but it's like pulling teeth with a rusty pliers to get that the happen. Very frustrating.

IMG_0382.jpg

I have a few things to do in the house this week that don't quite count as woodworking, but am contemplating what will be the next project.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 11-15-2021 at 12:38 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm sorry to hear of Dennis Peacock's situation. My last week's accomplishment was more carpentry than woodworking. I spent most of Tuesday and part of Wednesday jacking up the second floor and adding joists in the house I bought this fall, and putting in a header in a wall. The joists are a 16 foot span with 2x8 joists on 16" centers and had sagged a couple of inches after one joist was cut to put a stovepipe through sometime in the 1920-1950 time period.
    Attached Images Attached Images

... to the Peacock family...
    To paraphrase an Irish poet, "May God hold you in the palm of his hand."

So sorry to hear of the Peacock's health situation. My thoughts are with you as you travel through this difficult time.

I finished up the 16 new shop cabinet drawers for my husband's and my respective shops and got them mounted into the cabinets. So just applied faces left to make and install and those projects will be finished up. I'm finally getting back to the Spool Cabinet build I started last winter and stopped working on when the carcase was assembled and my old table saw was sold. Now that I've used the slider to make some shop cabinets I'm confident enough to get on with making drawers for the Spool Cabinet. I dug in my stash of lumber and will start rough milling the stock this coming week. It seems good to be getting back to making this piece.

Also I am sorry to hear about Peachock's family issue.

1) Finished setting up my saw stop and setting up the dust collection system to the blade guard.
    2) Put together my new router table and build a downdraft dust collection box for it.
    3) Help my son start his knife handle project.
    4) Spent a few hours in the woodcraft store

Can't say it any better Malcolm.

You should get some good lumber out of those logs, Jim. I've never milled a cedar but I've cut at least a hundred ash logs. It's an under appreciated wood IMO. Sadly, it soon will be gone from the landscape for a good long time, maybe forever. So get what you can and hoard it.

As for my woodworking, I finished a little desk on the weekend and delivered it. I fun project that kept my attention with the precision required to pull off the clean beveled corner joints. I also cut some beautiful 14" wide walnut veneer for an upcoming project. Not sure why, but I love slicing veneer. On the other end of the spectrum I emptied one of my kilns of black and English walnut and put it into short term storage and reloaded the kiln with spalted maple slabs.

John

Dennis, so sorry to hear of the tragedy your family is facing and I wish for you all to find the strength you will need.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Speedy healing for the Peacock family.
    Learned a new skill this week. Half lap mitres from Rob Cosman’s YouTube channel, because I needed to add a little visual interest to a pair of cabinet tops I’m making.
    One step at a time. The project ( cabinets and tops) has taken about 18 part time months so far.
    On a slightly more painful note, I got my first of 2 Shingles vaccines today. Since I’ve been diagnosed with COPD, I’m making darned sure I watch my health and get every inoculation anti disease that comes down the pike.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Aaron, that sounds like a neat project...I hope you'll do a thread in Woodworking Projects to show us the way! And the discomfort from those Shingles inoculations is far less than getting an outbreak of that nasty disease!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My 4H woodworking classes finished their work on six plant boxes and two napkin holders. This was their first year and they seem eager for next year's class when they can build a bird house or a stool, and they'll be allowed to use an electric drill. We use my two Stanley miter boxes for cutting. Unfortunately, only one of the saws is super sharp, so I need to find someone to sharpen another (any suggestions?). Small muscles are an accurate barometer for sharpness and kerf size.

Meanwhile, I purchased Woodcraft pattern maker's vise, because there's a clearance sale. It seemed like a good enough excuse taking the plunge while the "low-price" option still exists. It must live on my smaller bench, because I don't want to rout out 2.5" of table top on the big one.

I wish the Peacock family solace.