Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best dado blade (5/8" bore)

Blog Entries

Best dado blade (5/8" bore)

I'd like a new dado blade for my Unisaw table saw.
    Which is the best dado blade to get a square cut regardless of cost?

I have two dado stacks, one 6” and one 8”. The 6” is from Forrest and the 8” from ridge carbide. In my opinion both of those companies are top of the line.
    Last edited by Kritt Moore; 11-15-2021 at 12:08 AM.

My 20 year old Freud dado set has never left a perfectly flat bottom. My 12" Ammana dado set leaves a very flat bottom.

Mine is a Forrest Dado King. It is easy to set up and makes nice cuts, however the bottom will have "bat wings" on the outside edges.

The Dewalt is better than most probably expect, and leaves square inside corners. It comes with a chart that tells what combination of parts leaves what width groove.

Even with the chart, I still mark on the different pieces leave what size groove with a Sharpie, for common sizes.

I've had the Forrest set for much longer, but when square corners are nice, the Dewalt does a really clean job.

When I owned a dado set, it was the Forrest Dado King. Not inexpensive, but excellent product. Like many premium dado sets that use high-angle grinds on the outside for clean edges, the bottoms of grooves, dados and rebates cut have the "batwing" incisions so if the primary use for the dado set is for absolute clean bottoms that are visible, a "less premium" set that doesn't have the sharper outside edges. might be a better choice.

BTW, unless you are needing to do extraordinarily deep cutting with the set, opting for a 6" stack can save you a few shekels. Most work with these sets doesn't get very deep.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have a Dado King and a Dadonator (Amana sold by Infinity Tools). I can't tell any difference between the two at all.

I used a Freud 2 wing set for many years, finally teeth started coming off but its irrelevant b/c I'm certain the newer 4 wing Freud sets have to be better.

I think the Freud will work, but if you do a alot of dados I would spend $70 more and get a Dadonator, or add another $70 to that and get a Forrest.

Bottom line IMO this is a case where the most expensive probably doesn't make that much difference.

The saw blade sharpening service I use informed he also sharpens dado sets when I confirmed cutting my blades for flat box joints or angled for dovetail cuts. So those batwings can be "adjusted".

https://www.freudtools.com/products/SD508

Never had an issue with my freud Super Dado

Another vote for Amana.

Another vote for Forrest

I've got a Dadonator and like it very much. I didn't realize that it was manufactured by Amana, nothing on the blades mentions Amana.

Can't say "best" but have known many happy Forrest owners over the years.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    My Freud SD508 stack cuts fine but leaves a slightly irregular surface that’s easily cleaned up with a chisel. If you are wanting a dado that will show, this isn’t it.

My only complaint is that it’s about 3/32” over 8”. My regular blades come from Amana and are about 3/32” undersized. That means that I have to make adjustments on my Sawstop. It’s not a big deal but is a little irritating. I did get in a hurry once and didn’t adjust the brake clearance. The brake fire happened on startup. Didn’t hurt the blade but blew a brake.