Thread: Converting Bosch router fixed base to use under table

Converting Bosch router fixed base to use under table

Won't get around to it until the new year but I will be adding a router lift to my General 350 extension table. I have a shop made router lift based on a Steve Ramsey video which works but has some issues on my old saw so I don't think I'll use it. I will be using my Bosch1617EVS router. Thinking of using my Bosch RA 1161 fixed base mounted under the table. Looks to me like the RA1165 which is designed for this purpose is the same as the RA 1161 except no handles (I think I can manage to remove them ) and the end of the adjustment screw has a female hex socket end. Thinking there are two ways to make the 1161 work, either modify the end of the adjustment screw or replace it. Looks like the screw is left hand thread so that complicates replacing it. Anyone modified a RA 1161 base for router table use?

Unless something has changed, the only difference is the handles. Once the base plate is removed, in both bases there is a second set of tapped mounting holes in the “PC 690” triangle pattern. Yes, you’ll be able to figure out removing the handles, but only need to do that if you need clearance. I never thought about changing the screw, I just used a t-handled hex wrench…until I bought a Jesse lift!
    earl

Thanks Earl but I think the adjustment screw needs modification or replacement as there is no female hex on the end of mine to receive the hex wrench.

It appears there are different versions if the RA 1161 base and mine is likely the older version without the hex socket. I see the current parts diagram includes a hex tee handle suggesting the adjusting screw had a hex socket. Maybe the solution is as simple as replacing the adjustment screw and drilling a thru hole for the tee handle.

Why did you replace it with the Jesse lift?
    Last edited by Doug Garson; 11-15-2021 at 1:21 PM. Reason: Added comments

Well Doug…for several years I was of the opinion that the Bosch fixed base was all the lift I needed. Then, one Prime Day I was sitting in a rescue truck at an open wheel tire test. During a break in the action, I saw an Incra version of the MastR-Lift in the Warehouse that with a discount came in under $150. Had to file down a tiny bur on the edge of the plate. After a few uses…I gotta say that if something happened to it, I’d pay full price for a replacement. Especially with those Incra downdraft inserts. I do keep one a 1617 motor in it, does all I need it to do. The lift made it much easier to dial in precise depths where the Bosch base was harder to be precise with—had a tiny bit of lash for lack of a better word.
    Good luck.
    earl

I've been using the stock 1617 fixed base in my router table for several years now. I had to remove the handles to install it; not hard. Mine has the hex key recess in the end of the shaft but, truthfully, I never use it even though I drilled the table to be able to. You have to unlock the router anyway to adjust it. It's just no big deal for me to do the adjustment at the same time. The motor does move slightly when you lock it, I think what Earl called "lash", so that's something to be aware of. I can't remember the last time I worked wood to 0.001", however, so it's never been a problem.

John

If you pull down on the router while checking bit height and locking, the fixed base is accurate to 0.001". Plenty accurate for me.