Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vintage Braces and Modern Hex Shank Bits: Do you really need an adapter?

Vintage Braces and Modern Hex Shank Bits: Do you really need an adapter?

Hi guys.

So, in reassembling my handtool kit, I finally acquired a brace. An old Stanley Defiance model.

The bits that came with it -- a lot of them -- were, unfortunately, in pretty bad shape -- sharpened improperly, and many with damaged snails or nearly filed off spurs, etc. etc.
    A few are in usable shape, along with a counter sink and some small spoon and gimlet style bits, though, so I feel I got my money's worth.

Finding good auger bits, in good condition, has always been a struggle. So, in the meantime, and because having metric sizes is useful anyway, I bought some modern hex-shanked auger bits.

And... they seem to work just fine in my brace.

I know there's an adapter that I see for braces, which takes modern hex-shank bits, but... Do you really need it? They seem to seat in the chuck just fine.

Am I unknowingly doing any kind of harm to the chuck? I can't imagine so, as they're pretty solid...

The only real usecase I can imagine is to take those small screwdriver heads, which would be nice... as they're much to short to just stick in the chuck.

Blog Entries
    Luke, there was an evolution in the development of chucks for braces. The early chucks did not have parallel jaws for holding round bits. After a time, all the better braces were made to hold bits other than those with auger tangs.

An old solution for an adapter is a chuck like this:

Chuck for Brace.jpg

This is a small one that is nice for use between the fingers for smaller bits. My large adapter will hold up to a 1/2" shank.

There are also hex bit holders/extenders that can be held in a brace for holding short hex bits.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post

An old solution for an adapter is a chuck like this:

Chuck for Brace.jpg

This is a small one that is nice for use between the fingers for smaller bits. My large adapter will hold up to a 1/2" shank.

jtk
    Jim,

Here’s a whopper - a few months ago these large and small adapters (NOS) were offered on eBay and sold for $202.51 each! Starting bid was $5.00. Many bids but only a few bidders and they went to different bidders, so I assume collectors. They are Yankee 1593 B.B. (small) and Yankee 1594 B.B. (large).

Well, in that case.. I'll be sticking with tanged auger bits. Easier, and cheaper, to find it seems
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Twist drill bits.JPG
    Best of both worlds? Yep, they did indeed make twist drill bits FOR brace drills....I think Mine go all the way up to 1/2" or so.....those 3 are my Pilot Hole bits...
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

I guess if it's working it's working. Even if you destroy your brace, there are millions more out there, which work great, for cheap. If you destroy your brace, spend the 17 bucks on the adapter next time.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    Jim,

Here’s a whopper - a few months ago these large and small adapters (NOS) were offered on eBay and sold for $202.51 each! Starting bid was $5.00. Many bids but only a few bidders and they went to different bidders, so I assume collectors. They are Yankee 1593 B.B. (small) and Yankee 1594 B.B. (large).
    Me thinks "(NOS)" is likely what drove cost to such heights. This is even more so if the original box was included.

Though a quick look at the big auction site didn't find any for sale.

Even at such crazy prices mine are not in danger of leaving the shop by my accord. There are many hex drive versions that should work fine in a brace. It is unlikely they could cause any damage to the brace jaws.

It is good to have a few braces. That way if you are drilling different size holes or using a countersink the bits don't always need to be changed back and forth.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Me thinks "(NOS)" is likely what drove cost to such heights. This is even more so if the original box was included.

It is good to have a few braces. That way if you are drilling different size holes or using a countersink the bits don't always need to be changed back and forth.

jtk
    They both had the original box.

Also good to have a few braces with different sweeps. I use my 6” with countersinks and thin stock, all purpose 10”s for most stuff, 12” for large bits in thick stock.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Rosenthal View Post
    They both had the original box.

Also good to have a few braces with different sweeps. I use my 6” with countersinks and thin stock, all purpose 10”s for most stuff, 12” for large bits in thick stock.
    My 6" has been a godsend. It saves my back if the deck screws need tightening. Adding two extensions to hold a bit lets me stand upright while giving any loose or proud screws a twist or two.

jtk

Have an "Add-a-chuck" the OP can have, IF he wants...I'd just need an address to send it to....looks like it can handle up to 0.325 diameter bits..Uses sprung 3 jaws, like a modern chuck, just doesn't need a chuck key...

Can post a picture if,n you all want...

Ok, dug the thing out...oiled it up, cleaned a few rusty spots....been sitting around for a few years...
    Add-a-Chuck, side.JPG
    have no idea who made it....
    Add-a-Chuck, jaws.JPG
    3 jaws...
    Add-a-Chuck, tail end.JPG
    Made to be used in a Brace...
    Last edited by steven c newman; 11-15-2021 at 3:14 PM. Reason: Picture show

have and USE 6", 8", 10", 12" (PEXTO Samson chuck) and a Stanley 14" brace....have the countersink bit "stored" in the chuck of the Millers Falls No. 1950.....ready when needed.

Rather NOT talk about "eggbeater drills" , worse than block planes at multiplying

So far, only 1 D-P Breast drill, and a chain drill...

I don't have one, but Taytools makes a hex adapter for braces. They come in 1/4" hex and 7/16" hex. https://taytools.com/products/woodow...32472190320727

Hex shanked VIX bit....in an extension
    Augers, hex shank.JPG
    No issues...I also tried a modern Brad Point bit...no problems...so, IF the brace has a chuck like this..
    Augers, LONG reach.JPG
    It WILL hold about any shank you want to use.

Blog Entries
    Google "Auger Bits"

You can still buy them.

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Have an "Add-a-chuck" the OP can have, IF he wants...I'd just need an address to send it to....looks like it can handle up to 0.325 diameter bits..Uses sprung 3 jaws, like a modern chuck, just doesn't need a chuck key...

Can post a picture if,n you all want...

Ok, dug the thing out...oiled it up, cleaned a few rusty spots....been sitting around for a few years...
    Add-a-Chuck, side.JPG
    have no idea who made it....
    Add-a-Chuck, jaws.JPG
    3 jaws...
    Add-a-Chuck, tail end.JPG
    Made to be used in a Brace...
    Wow! That's really generous. I would be interested, actually. But I'm in Tokyo, Japan. Shipping to Japan may be a bit expensive.

*There are cheap ways to ship things apparently because I can buy things from the US quite cheaply on Amazon, but it seems most postal workers are totally clueless and give extremely high quotes.

Anyway, I'd be willing to pay shipping of course if you can get a reasonable quote ($20 or so)!